• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Berlin Tempelhof?

Comment

• Originally posted by KGEG View Post
      Berlin Tempelhof?
      Not Tempelhof.

For what it's worth, the design of the new terminal is from the same decade as Tempelhof.
      Please visit my website! http://www.schipholspotter.com/

Don't make me use uppercase...

Comment

• No scheduled flights on the whole airport?
        So there are only some options left. Maybe military use?, or, like it happened with Tempelhof, it has been closed because of "no expansion possible"?.

I'd tend to the second option, because AFB's or small airfields don't often have more than 1 "terminal".
        And I tend to "leave Berlin" for this quiz, because Gatow AFB would not fit either?

Peter, your quiz is not easy... (as it has never been).
        The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
        The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
        And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
        This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

• Originally posted by LH-B744 View Post
          No scheduled flights on the whole airport?
          So there are only some options left. Maybe military use?, or, like it happened with Tempelhof, it has been closed because of "no expansion possible"?.

I'd tend to the second option, because AFB's or small airfields don't often have more than 1 "terminal".
          And I tend to "leave Berlin" for this quiz, because Gatow AFB would not fit either?

Peter, your quiz is not easy... (as it has never been).
          Not military either, just general aviation and biz jets (which use the old modern terminal). There are plans to extend the runway to cater for B737 and A320 size aircraft. This would enable this airport to act as an overflow for a large airport roughly 70 KMs away. But these plans have been around for years...

Remember my clue that the new old-fashioned terminal is not used much, and when used mostly for old planes along with perhaps a few Cessna props and similar small stuff.

Comment

• Is it in the UK ?
            If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

• Originally posted by Petertenthije View Post
              Not military either, just general aviation and biz jets (which use the old modern terminal). There are plans to extend the runway to cater for B737 and A320 size aircraft. This would enable this airport to act as an overflow for a large airport roughly 70 KMs away. But these plans have been around for years...

Remember my clue that the new old-fashioned terminal is not used much, and when used mostly for old planes along with perhaps a few Cessna props and similar small stuff.
              What Brian has asked, is a good question, because I can't think of any airfield in a 100 nmi-Radius (concerning my location) that would fit into yor description, and I've yet landed jets (eg. CR7) on the following places:
              Liége-Bierset, Oostende, Schiphol, Eindhoven AFB, KleyneBroegel, Brussels, Charleroi, Essen/Mülheim, Lille-Lesquin, Rotterdam, Antverp, Zweibrücken, Luxembourg, etc etc etc
              Edit: When you come down at Oostende you of course fly over EBFN Koksijde and you come near to Buedel... or Eindhoven -- Antverp which gives you a VOR thats called Bruno if I'm not completely wrong... it's located SouthEast of a small town called ...
              Herentals.... .... ....
              Now tell us the correct solution.

There is another option.. It's a "borderline" airfield, such as EDLW. It can't be visited by long-haul A330, but small A319s come down there.
              Last edited by LH-B744; 2010-09-02, 03:09. Reason: another 17 guesses by an AirForce Man...
              The German long haul is alive, 65 years and still kicking.
              The Gold Member in the 747 club, 50 years since the first LH 747.
              And constantly advanced, 744 and 748 /w upper and lower EICAS.
              This is Lohausen International airport speaking, echo delta delta lima.

Comment

• Originally posted by Petertenthije View Post

Hmmm... 2 terminals, but can only cater to RJ?

Comment

• Originally posted by LH-B744 View Post
                  ...Schiphol, Eindhoven AFB, Rotterdam...
                  You've named pretty much every airport in the Benelux, and still manage to miss it. That takes skills!

Hmmm... 2 terminals, but can only cater to RJ
                  As I said, no scheduled services at this airport, only general aviation and biz jets. The biz jets use the old modern terminal. The new old-fashioned terminal is not used much, and when used mostly for old planes and the occaisional sight-seeing small props. Now, think very hard, why would there be a seperate terminal for old planes and sight-seeing...

Originally posted by brianw999
                  Is it in the UK
                  No.

Comment

• A shot in the dark: Gilze Rijen! It's the closest airport to Zandvoort AFAIK, and this would be the link to "Originally the new terminal was build for a sport event;" .. and I hope, somehow this airport can be seen as not military
                    My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

• Originally posted by LX-A343 View Post
                      and I hope, somehow this airport can be seen as not military
                      Last time I was there Gilze only had a bunch of Apaches, Chinooks and assorted other MILITARY helicopters.

The new old-fashioned terminal was ORIGINALLY build for a sport event. I did not say the CURRENT new old-fashioned terminal was build for a sports event. As mentioned, the new old-fashioned terminal was build from old blue-prints. Blue prints from the same era as the Berlin Tempelhof terminal.

Comment

• I'm being drawn towards Lelystad. I can't find any terminal information but they do plan to extend for Locost operations.

Stop press. Found this...
                        I flew to Lelystad, Holland on Saturday. It’s a purpose-built GA airport about 30m east of Amsterdam. The flight from Denham was fabulous in good weather – we flew right over the top of Schiphol at 9,000 feet. The airport is very welcoming. They have customs and immigration officers on site (although the book says […]
                        Last edited by brianw999; 2010-09-02, 17:13.

Comment

• Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                          I'm being drawn towards Lelystad. I can't find any terminal information but they do plan to extend for Locost operations.

Stop press. Found this...
                          http://www.golfhotelwhiskey.com/lelystad-aerodrome/
                          We've got ourselves a winner. Good thing to, cause tomrrow I will be going on holiday to moscow so I won't have internet acces for a few days.

There is a tiny terminal at the airport. The museum has a exact replica of the Schiphol terminal that was originally constructed for the 1928 Amsterdam Olympics. This terminal may be a replica, it is in use for actual flight operations. Mostly sightseeing flights with cessna's and similar small stuff, but also the Aviodrome's own F27, DC2, DC3, Constellation etc.

Comment

• Just out of interest...what was the sporting event ?

Comment

• Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                              Just out of interest...what was the sporting event ?
                              The 1928 olympics is what the terminal was ORIGINALLY build for. I never said or implied that the terminal was rebuild at the same place!

Comment

• AARRGHHHH! I looked for infos on the '28 Olympics and aviation, but found nothing at all.
                                My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

Working...
                                X