Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't know how to hotlink the photo, but with a simple link you might get some hits so all's not lost. I have to wonder though what a bucket-and-spade holiday charter has to do with Lynryd Skynryd.

Here's one for all you Lynyrd Skynyrd fans out there ;). TC-FBF. Airbus A320-211. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

From the band we can narrow the location (state) of the airport down to two options. Option one is Florida, as the band was formed in Jacksonville Florida. The second option is to go for their best known song, "Sweet home Alabama".

This, by the way, honks me of more then a bit. Thus far my search had for some reason gravitated around Houston and around New Orleans. I was completely of track.
    Please visit my website! http://www.schipholspotter.com/

Don't make me use uppercase...

Comment

Originally posted by Petertenthije View Post
      Option one is Florida, as the band was formed in Jacksonville Florida.
      Let's go with that...

Executive Airport in Orlando: ICAO code ORL, leaving the major airport in the area, Orlando International, with the code MCO, left from its days as an Air Force base.

ORL was built in 1928, originally named Orlando Municipal. It was used as a military field in WWII, was later named Orlando Executive, and finally just Executive Airport. It once had commercial traffic, but now primarily sees general aviation, corporate, and the occasional military traffic. I'll go out on a limb here - since Air Force One uses MCO, I'll guess that a C-5 (Galaxy) has used ORL to deliver support equipment a time or two.

Or am I totally out to lunch?
      KC-135: Passing gas and taking names!

Comment

The Fisherman says:

Wait, I'm confused. So the answer was not Chennault International Airport?
        No, this is not the correct answer.

I don't know how to hotlink the photo, but with a simple link you might get some hits so all's not lost. I have to wonder though what a bucket-and-spade holiday charter has to do with Lynryd Skynryd.
        ... it sounds like you have never heard Freebird, at least that you have never known it's name if you have heard it.

Here's a live version for you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CkTQUtx818w

Originally posted by Moose135 View Post
        Let's go with that...

Executive Airport in Orlando: ICAO code ORL, leaving the major airport in the area, Orlando International, with the code MCO, left from its days as an Air Force base.

ORL was built in 1928, originally named Orlando Municipal. It was used as a military field in WWII, was later named Orlando Executive, and finally just Executive Airport. It once had commercial traffic, but now primarily sees general aviation, corporate, and the occasional military traffic. I'll go out on a limb here - since Air Force One uses MCO, I'll guess that a C-5 (Galaxy) has used ORL to deliver support equipment a time or two.

Or am I totally out to lunch?

If "constructed in the 1930s" = "built in 1928" then I'm out to lunch

But I have to say... nice work otherwise!

The Poet says:

Alas poor Moose, just another goose

The Fisherman says:

Your fishing has been pretty good sleuths and, because Peter has articulated the second part of the challenge - making the link between the Band and the States, you bypass the intermediate Part 2 and go straight to Part 3. While that might seem a good thing, it is not necessarily so!

The final part to this challenge will be posted up shortly and will give you the information when it is solved. You will need good skills to solve it!
        Last edited by HB-IHC; 2009-11-07, 01:56.

All our final decisions are made in a state of mind that is not going to last (Marcel Proust)

Comment

The Fisherman says:

I have worked very hard to catch, gut and cook this fish for you. It is not a 'Red Herring'. On the contrary, it is as valuable as the most rarest finned creature you could ever hope to find!

Your Task

Solve the anagram by rearranging the letters of the phrase below into a new sentence which you must post up to progress further

Your anagram is: OBAMA WASTES THE POOR MAIL TRAIN THESIS

Your Only Clue

Peter has noticed that there are links between Lynrd Skynrd and the US States you have been searching. The anagram also links these themes.

The Only Advice You Will Be Given

Read my instructions carefully, stick to facts.

The Poet says:

See you later, Alligator
          In a while, Crocodile
          Good luck, Rubber Duck!
          Please, please, chase no geese!

Paul
          Last edited by HB-IHC; 2009-11-07, 02:40. Reason: disambiguation

All our final decisions are made in a state of mind that is not going to last (Marcel Proust)

Comment

I have a feeling I might have it.........

????? Lynrd Skynrd...

"Sweet home Alabama"

B727's. (history here of 727's arriving for scrap, use as a restaurant)

Albatross. (there's one in the museum)

Galaxy. (Pres. Bush came here during Hurricane Katrina so a Galaxy likely followed with presidential paraphernalia.)

Goshawk. (would imagine one has probably visited given the military presence......

ICAO indicator defines the airfield.....

...and the anagram = SO ISN'T THIS SWEET HOME ALABAMA AIRPORT.

Sooooo.......

....and being at work I don't have GoogleEarth to check an image.....

but...

I think......

It's......

Mobile, Alabama (MOB) ?
            Last edited by brianw999; 2009-11-07, 02:48.
            If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
              I have a feeling I might have it.........

????? Lynrd Skynrd...

"Sweet home Alabama"

B727's. (history here of 727's arriving for scrap, use as a restaurant)

Albatross. (there's one in the museum)

Galaxy. (Pres. Bush came here during Hurricane Katrina so a Galaxy likely followed with presidential paraphernalia.)

Goshawk. (would imagine one has probably visited given the military presence......

ICAO indicator defines the airfield.....

Sooooo.......

I think......

It's......

Mobile, Alabama (MOB) ?

The Fisherman says:

What am I doin' up at this time o' night? ... answering your post Brian since you have put suuch a lot of work into it.

As with Moose's post, I am full of praise for you sleuths.

But, again, as with Moose's post, I'm afraid 'tis more a mobility problem than Mobile

The Poet says:

Alas poor Brian, the fish he ain't fryin'

Go for the anagram

Paul

(Interstingly, one of the CO DC9-30s I mentioned was "City of Mobile"... that's not a clue! )
              Last edited by HB-IHC; 2009-11-07, 02:33.

Comment

Buggerit !!

So, the anagram....

"So this airport isn't sweet home alabama"

So it's not in Alabama ?

I think I'll go and find someone to stick an IV needle into.....a BIG one !!

Comment

GOT IT !!!

I was thinking....near to water, maybe a river or a lake or a reservoir........... Hang on, a LAKE ? A Lakefront airport ? Where have I heard that before ?

I know where.....

New Orleans Lakefront airport....

.....Oh my, look at the picture in the article.
                  Last edited by brianw999; 2009-11-07, 07:17.

Comment

The Fisherman says:

On the anagram: OBAMA WASTES THE POOR MAIL TRAIN THESIS

Buggerit !!

So, the anagram....

"So this airport isn't sweet home alabama"

So it's not in Alabama ?

I guess that's one sentence but I think you'd agree that this one is less cryptic............... "This Airport's Sweet Home is not in Alabama"

I think I'll go and find someone to stick an IV needle into.....a BIG one !!

The Goose Keeper says:

You were all warned, repeatedly

New Orleans Lakefront airport....

.....Oh my, look at the picture in the article.

The Poet says:

Brian you star, you've done what was needed
                    Even though my clear instruction was often not heeded
                    You've found this jazzy place even through much Goose Chasing
                    And now we know that winning, is not about "racing"
                    There's been so much of that so I'll give all the cure
                    When all that you know doesn't fit with the clue
                    Don't look for what you want because that's what you'd have
                    In not going your way, you sure found Lakefront!

Ladies, Gentlemen, boys and girls, poets and sleuths, onlookers and world wide web:

May I be the first to congratulate Brian in arriving at the answer, but may I also congratulate you all for your collective team effort.

When I saw the desire that this thread should have "some life" breathed into it, I guess I couldn't turn down the opportunity to do something about that once I had the yoke. I hope you've enjoyed musing over the clues, poems, instructions etc. as much as I have and, especially, that you have enjoyed researching this airport from different angles which requires different strategies and skills rather than just relying on Google Earth, JP.Net, "the other site" and what we know as 'aviation buffs'.

I have certainly learnt a great deal in the process and, if you have too, it follows that we are all winners!

So, it only remains for me, The Poet, The Goosekeeper and The Fisherman, to hand over the aircraft to Brian for the next installment and congratulate him once more for being the cherry on the JP.Detect cake...

WELL DONE BRIAN!

Brian Whitesleuth... you have control!

Paul

PS - no-one's cracked "All New Name That Aircraft" yet... I sense that The Poet might be musing over a clue
                    Last edited by HB-IHC; 2009-11-07, 10:37.

Comment

• Originally posted by Petertenthije View Post
                      This, by the way, honks me of more then a bit. Thus far my search had for some reason gravitated around Houston and around New Orleans. I was completely of track.
                      I think that if I am going to speak my mind I am going to be banned.

I was so effing close! But New Orleans is neither Alabama nor California?

Comment

I think that if I am going to speak my mind I am going to be banned.

I was so effing close! But New Orleans is neither Alabama nor California?
                        Yes, I realised that you were close Peter - you even said you were looking at New Orleans - and, as much as I wanted to tell you when you went wrong, I told everyone that The Goose Keeper wasn't around for this challenge - no-one would get told if they went off on their own instead of simply following through the steps of the challenge

I really, really wanted to tell you to re-read Part 1 of the challenge which just asks you to report back the two facts... not to read into what they might mean... because all my challenges have and would have explained what you couldn't really know (the links that I am making to that information).

If you didn't jump the gun, Part 2 would have uncovered the links you made and that Part 3 would reveal the meaning and answer to the challenge which was: that the airport was NOT in Alabama.

Of course, because you went further and basically solved Part 2 as well, it only left me to tell you that Part 3 gives you the meaning of the links.... completely, unambiguously and absolutely.

If Brian didn't have his 'moment of epiphany', you would all still be looking at 3 States and another challenge which would reduce the possibilities even more or give you more relvant information that would have focussed you more towards the airport in question.

Damn good work otherwsie Peter and, TBH, no-one would have got this without everyone else's input so you are part winner anyway

Paul ....

...ps - if you're around this Tuesday, I'm at AMS for the day. It would be great to meet you (if I'm correct in thinking that you are close by - judging by your photos)
                        Last edited by HB-IHC; 2009-11-07, 12:39.

Comment

• Originally posted by HB-IHC View Post
                          ...ps - if you're around this Tuesday, I'm at AMS for the day. It would be great to meet you (if I'm correct in thinking that you are close by - judging by your photos)
                          Sorry, but the boss is dragging me to Cologne that day. An hour and a half me and him in the company car... fun fun fun.

Comment

Sorry, but the boss is dragging me to Cologne that day. An hour and a half me and him in the company car... fun fun fun.
                            I will spare you a thought

Comment

• Paul especially...and also Peter....with some input from Moose...

That was great fun....brain cell killing, but fun.

Day after tomorrow I leave the shores of the UK,
                              for a trip to China, for 11 days,
                              without internet access,
                              t'would be a shame for this thread
                              to fall into recess,

So....

Peter, take the head.

OK, I 'aint no poet
                              Peter, a lot of the effort solving this problem was down to you, so it's your turn if no-one minds ?

PS. when in a car with someone you really don't want to be with.....pretend to...or actually...go to sleep.

Answer questions with "Hmmmuuurrrm"....."ZZZZzzzzzz"......or "Sorry, I'm knackered, you work me so hard, what was that again ?"

Works every time !!!

Comment

• I have a feeling this one will need a lot of hints as well. I apoolgise in advance, I am not that great a poet.

Comment

Working...
                                X