X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by HB-IHC View Post
    Challenge 3:

The Flight Attendant (FA) says:

I read somewhere (mmm, now where was it?... mmmm) that you never see dead penguins in Antarctica.

I don't really want to know if you do or don't but what I really want to know.... really, really want to know.... (I wanna, I wanna, I wanna... oh, stop it!) is if it could be mainly because the polar bears eat them.

What do you think?

You must answer "Yes" or "No" and explain your answer.

The quicker you have the answer, the quicker breakfast will be served!

Happy thinking!
    NO, Just like Brian, when he posted this thread http://forums.jetphotos.net/showthread.php?t=48818 I do not know much about penguins. I do know they are native to the Antarctic and a few countries near the Antarctic (South Africa, Chili, New Zealand). I don't know much about polar bears either, except that they are not native to the antartic, they prefer the artic. So a penguin will never be eaten by a polar bear, unless someones screws up badly in a zoo.
    Please visit my website! http://www.schipholspotter.com/

Don't make me use uppercase...

Comment

• ...and because you're ever so picky...to answer the question in the manner requested.

NO.

Because Polar bears live in the Arctic and Penguins live in the Antarctic.

( Peter...he's a picky little sod, make sure you do EVERYTHING he asks !!.......

....oh yes, and it's 18 hours to flight time. )

P.S. Note to self...have a word with the East Grinstead crews. Large IV needles are de rigeur in your area from now on...
      Last edited by brianw999; 2009-11-08, 20:05.
      If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

• Originally posted by Petertenthije View Post
        NO, Just like Brian, when he posted this thread http://forums.jetphotos.net/showthread.php?t=48818 I do not know much about penguins. I do know they are native to the Antarctic and a few countries near the Antarctic (South Africa, Chili, New Zealand). I don't know much about polar bears either, except that they are not native to the antartic, they prefer the artic. So a penguin will never be eaten by a polar bear, unless someones screws up badly in a zoo.

60B (the 'Cockney' guy in that seat) shouts out:

Yeh, an' you know wot?... I mean, I don't know nuffink abaht penguins eever but sumwun told me that they only 'do it' wunce a year....

... I ask yer, wunce a year?... wot's that all abaht then? But I'll tell yer anuvva fing...

I fink it woz that 'At-an-burrow bloke wot said it, so it must be true ay?...

well, any-ows, that's wunce more a year than me an' my missus do it!

The whole cabin falls into Hysterics, Laughter, Chortles and Guffaws and once it all settles down (or "settles dahn" in 'Cockney') the Chief FA approaches to talk to you:

Nice one Peter. BTW, you want to watch that guy in 60B. He might be a bit gobby ("Gobby" = 'Cockney' for "outspoken") but he's not the sort to cause trouble, and he knows a thing or two. I heard that his cousin owns a farm and 60B does some contract work for him, keeping his geese, while he's away on business.

The crew have their quick climb request confirmed and leave Departures to call up on the Trans-OceoLandType frequency for the next leg of the journey, as the cabin crew hand out breakfast.

The FA says: Northwich 1-0 Charlton...

...so Charlton got knocked out the FA Cup by Northwich today... (and the whole cabin falls into Hysterics, Laughter, Chortles and Guffaws again ) ... but, as true as it is, that's completely beside the point.

Enjoy your breakfast!

Last edited by HB-IHC; 2009-11-08, 22:14.

All our final decisions are made in a state of mind that is not going to last (Marcel Proust)

Comment

• Paul, is that a picture of the airport that we're looking for ?

( 16 and a half hours to go )
          If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

• Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
            Paul, is that a picture of the airport that we're looking for ?

( 16 and a half hours to go )

60B shouts out:

Now there's a goodun if evah I 'erd a goodun... as questions go!... give that man a bigger breakfast!

The FA says:

Yes, it is our destination airport Brian... and, sometimes, I wonder who's the boss around here. I'm not sure, but 60B might even run the airline, so I better do as he says!

Last edited by HB-IHC; 2009-11-08, 22:11.

All our final decisions are made in a state of mind that is not going to last (Marcel Proust)

Comment

• There's a cockney speaking person on board, so assume departure from the UK. We fly to the west, but not to north america. Am I correct in assuming our destination is in the pacific? The building style (and totem pole!) I believe can be found in Hawaii, Tahiti, Micronesia.

Comment

• Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                ...and because you're ever so picky...to answer the question in the manner requested.

NO.

Because Polar bears live in the Arctic and Penguins live in the Antarctic.

( Peter...he's a picky little sod, make sure you do EVERYTHING he asks !!.......

....oh yes, and it's 18 hours to flight time. )

P.S. Note to self...have a word with the East Grinstead crews. Large IV needles are de rigeur in your area from now on...
                You over hear a conversation between 60B and 60D

I mean, give the guy a chance, just coz 'ee got the last wun in super-quick time 'ee got fretternd wiv little yella men in Amsterdaaahm an' now, just coz that guy there 'as got the same name as my airline an' is bailing out soon, 'ee fretterns 'im wiv little green men in East Grim-spade.

I mean don't I, 'eez gotta eat sometime don't 'ee?... I dunno, little yella men and little green men, it's like The Simpsons rolled up into The Men In The Moon ain't it!

60D says nothing but seems to know everything and looks at the little in Brian. The gets afraid, very afraid.

60B stands up and shouts:

Oi, you! yeh you, wiv the green boiler suit on (Paramedics wear green suits)... this is My Airline NOT YORZ (Ooooer, he is gobby!)... they don't call me Brian "Bow Bells" o' Bleary the BrianAir Boss fa nuffink ya know!...

Blimey, talk abaht alliterate!

... 'an while am at it, put yer parachute under the seat in front!

He sits back 'dahn', order is resumed and the FA approaches Peter.
                Last edited by HB-IHC; 2009-11-09, 01:29.

Comment

There's a cockney speaking person on board, so assume departure from the UK. We fly to the west, but not to north america. Am I correct in assuming our destination is in the pacific? The building style (and totem pole!) I believe can be found in Hawaii, Tahiti, Micronesia.
                  The FA says:

Mmmmm, I like the way you're approaching this Peter but I'm under strict instructions. In fact, we don't get told an awful lot on this because Brian o'Bleary is on board doing an BoBsted Inspection, but I think it might be a little early in the flight to be asking such specific questions...

...after all there are 7 commonly accepted continents and 5 are still up for grabs and, although I think you're on to something when it comes to the architecture, I know we went through a few turns and, TBH, I don't know which way the Pilot's taking us.

Here, have this... the guy in 17F gave me this note for you

You read the note...

Peter, Peter, it's good to see you thinking
                  Checking the details to see what might be linking
                  And for your reward I'll give you this orange
                  And once it's peeled you'll have answered the next challenge.

The next challenge will be posted soon (before I turn in for the night )
                  Last edited by HB-IHC; 2009-11-09, 01:26.

Comment

• Challenge 4:

Brian "Bow Bells" o' Bleary the BrianAir Boss is doing his Bobsted Inspection and wants to see if passengers' navigation skills are up to scratch because soon they'll be having to fly themselves on his planes or face massive hidden charges.

You were asked in a previous challenge to find a co-ordinate and report the continent that it lay in. We'll call this co-ordinate "Alpha".

You will need to find an exact position from Alpha and report back to "BoB The Gob" with the answers to the questions below.

There is a land mass that lies between 125 degrees and 175 degrees from this position.

On this land mass there are many airports but one, in particular, lies at about 8,140 miles from Alpha.

An aircraft is on or just above a runway at this airport, exactly 8,144.9 km from Alpha.

1. Which continent is it in?
                    2. Which country is the airport in?
                    3. Which airport is it?
                    4. What is the magnetic heading, as shown in Google Earth, of the runway that this aircraft is on?

If I don't catch you before you go Brian, Have a great time in Chine!

Paul

Comment

On this land mass there are many airports but one, in particular, lies at about 8,140 miles from Alpha.

An aircraft is on or just above a runway at this airport, exactly 8,144.9 km from Alpha.
                      Is the Goose Keeper leading us on? Is it miles or km?
                      KC-135: Passing gas and taking names!

Comment

There is a land mass that lies between 125 degrees and 175 degrees from this position.

1. Which continent is it in?
                        2. Which country is the airport in?
                        3. Which airport is it?
                        4. What is the magnetic heading, as shown in Google Earth, of the runway that this aircraft is on?
                        Working from the heading of 125 to 175 degrees from Alpha, it looks like South America is the target. Since 8,140 miles from Alpha put you past the land mass, I'll assume that you meant KM. Based on that...

1 - South America
                        2 - Argentina
                        3 - Ministro Pistarini International Airport (Aeropuerto Internacional de Ezeiza "Ministro Pistarini")
                        4 - Rwy 17 (although it looks like it may actually be closer to 164 degrees)
                        KC-135: Passing gas and taking names!

Comment

• Originally posted by Moose135 View Post
                          Is the Goose Keeper leading us on?
                          The FA says:

Hi Moose, great to see you're on board! Mmmm, I see what you mean about the Goose Keeper. I don't know for sure if he's on board but I haven't got around everyone yet. But... you do know they're cousins don't you... The Goose Keeper and Brian "Bow Bells" o'Bleary the BrianAir Boss (BBBoBBB).... so I guess he could be helping BBBoBBB with his Bobsted Inspection.

Oh, what a life... inspections, targets, league tables and paperwork leading to mass deforestation which will inevitably lead to the Apocalypse, what's the world coming to!... but anyway, you don't want to hear all that, I'll go and sort this thing out for you.

The FA goes over to the Chief FA, the Chief FA goes over to 60B and they discuss the situation.

The Poet says:

Moose, Moose,
                          about keeping goose...
                          The crew are impressed
                          at your intelligent request
                          They see what you say
                          but what gives it away
                          Is that Km or miles
                          determines the lines

Originally posted by Moose135 View Post
                          Is it miles or km?
                          The Poet says:

I see that there are few airports this way
                          where miles are this figure, its near Port of Spain
                          So Km it is and you've avoided lumbago
                          By not choosing miles to Trinidad and Tobago

But as reward for your work, and for not moving too fast
                          We've upraded your ticket to "you're the business"* class!
                          And now I must finish, otherwise it will all get insipid
                          BTW, your six-six-six Database photos, they're shaping up 'wicked'

6OD eyes up Moose's banner heading and laughs, inwardly and mysteriously.

Originally posted by Moose135 View Post
                          Working from the heading of 125 to 175 degrees from Alpha, it looks like South America is the target. Since 8,140 miles from Alpha put you past the land mass, I'll assume that you meant KM. Based on that...

1 - South America
                          2 - Argentina
                          3 - Ministro Pistarini International Airport (Aeropuerto Internacional de Ezeiza "Ministro Pistarini")
                          4 - Rwy 17 (although it looks like it may actually be closer to 164 degrees)
                          The Chief FA says:

Hi Moose, BBBoBBB was impressed by your observation, even more impressed that you worked the problem in spite of it and hugely impressed at the way you gave the answer to the magnetic heading, so he's given you free PilotMiles.

You see, following BrianAir's "We fly you further (away from the place you think you're going to than anyone else)" initiative, instead of being boring and offering AirMiles, they're giving PilotMiles so that people can offset the extortionate hidden costs of buying another ticket once BBBoBBB advertises his new initiative: "Take the stress out of flying (sit on a plane and go no-where)" which will be covered by the smallprint: "Supplying a pilot is not within the terms of this ticket".

So, with those PilotMiles you've not only earned this 'Landmassive' piece of information....

... namely that the airport you're looking for is not only NOT "Ministro Pistarini International Airport", it's also NOT in Argentina either... or South America for that matter!...

.... but you've also earned another challenge for the next piece of information.

The crew are working on it but, in the meantime, we've got a bit of a situation on board. Brian "Green Man" Whitelegg has vanished... his parachute is still under the seat infront but no-one's seen him for a while and one of the FAs felt a bit of a draught earlier

Challenge 5, Part 1:

The Poet says:

Moose, Moose, you're no Spruce Goose
                          You flew a lot further than that ever managed
                          But here's the first part, for anyone to answer
                          What's the link between me, and the last challenge?

There is a link between The Poet and one of the answers in Challenge 4. Can you find it?

Part 2 will follow after receipt of a correct answer.

* Colloquial Note: "the business" is a 'Cockney' way of saying "good / respect etc.) e.g. "That car's the business" = it's leading edge / expensive / fast etc., or "He's the business" = he's good / great etc. in whatever context you're talking about.

Nice one, spotting my typo Moose... no, it wasn't deliberate... but it's given me an idea

Cheers, Paul
                          Last edited by HB-IHC; 2009-11-14, 09:14.

Comment

• The poet is currently flying through the clean skies, the airport is located near Buenos Aires which translates as clean skies.

It's a bit of a stretch, I'll grant you, but for now it will have to do.

Comment

The poet is currently flying through the clean skies, the airport is located near Buenos Aires which translates as clean skies.

It's a bit of a stretch, I'll grant you, but for now it will have to do.

The Poet says:

This, I like... even though it's not right!

In fact, the poet likes this soooo much that he's going to offer a little hint...

The link is a lot more obvious... when you see it of course, but you can see it with your eyes.

Post it / them up, I'll be back once I've done LGW-AMS-LGW tomorrow....

...that's me signing off for now, Paul
                              Last edited by HB-IHC; 2009-11-09, 22:38.

Comment

• OK Guys, back from AMS and catching up with work.

Here's another hint / way of looking at it...

Something about The Poet on this particular journey has commonality with one of the answers.

If no-one gets it before I turn in for the night tomorrow, I'll post up another hint.

Cheers, Paul

Comment

Working...
                                X