X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• guamainiac
    replied
    Wow! How did you connect those dots? Good yob mon!

Leave a comment:

• Petertenthije
    replied
    Polk City

Leave a comment:

• guamainiac
    replied
    Lewiston-Auburn but has no frog connection.

Le Bourget is the only frog connection I can spot.

Pluck your magic twanger froggie; or .. gone with the Schwinn

Leave a comment:

• brianw999
    replied
    Nope, not Camarillo. The airfield name is a combination of the two closest cities. The whole place is a museum.

Leave a comment:

• jkstark
    replied
    Camarillo, CA?

Leave a comment:

• brianw999
    replied
    There is a connection with a well known talking frog.

Leave a comment:

• guamainiac
    replied
    Greenwood is interesting when taking off to the south with a large bluff or small cliff rising to greet you just off the thresh hold.

Leave a comment:

• brianw999
    replied
    No, not Greenwood. The based aircraft here all belong to one person.

Leave a comment:

• jkstark
    replied
    You're not talking of Greenwood Lake by chance?

Leave a comment:

• brianw999
    replied
    It's pronounced "Mew-nick" in English.

......and this airfield is much smaller than "Mew-nick"

Maybe not so easy then. It has one runway which to the eye is grass....but it's also tarmac !!

Leave a comment:

• guamainiac
    replied
    Munchen Flughaffen?

Either way, correct or not, please tell this out of touch Yank how to pronounce Munich? Over here we say "Muun-ick" but while visiting King Ludwig's other castle, I overheard a fellow at a concession telling two American youngsters seemingly on honeymoon, when she asked for "Munn-ick" he was emphatic (the German), that it was Munch-inn or Muench-enn. Hmmmmm, the young fellow was very confused because he had previously been corrected by another German.

Now that said, the Germans while I was there in around 1990 were perhaps "overly helpful" since I usually traveled with no agenda, which I call "pleasantly lost" and just meander about (under the illusion), that I am seeing the real country which perhaps can backfire. Germans can spot the parking disc on a rental car for a mile and love to pull over and seeing you with a map, they love to help, steering you to all of the wonderful places which is how I arrived at Ludwig The Mads other castle because I didn't want to insult the fellow as he was kind enough to lead us there though that's not where we wanted to go. Backfire is like it did in Lockerbie when I almost got an azz-whooping by some sheep herders in a pub who started to egg me into a fight "Riiiiich foooking Americans, think they own the foooooking world", who me? Sorry boys, a nice tip for the barkeep and I was pedal to the metal out of the parking lot with visions of Easy Rider, thank God shotguns are hard to come by in UK ...

A few years later I'd suffer the loss of a fellow club member who was 1'st Officer on the Pan Am bird in that town.

So's it Munich or Muenchen?

I kind of grew up with them. A fellow Ray Flannery had one on top of his restaurant in Langhorne Pennsylvania in the early 1960's, there were several tables up there and it was a treat to up, the two pilots chairs were blocked by a polite length of that theater velvet rope. A few years later toward 1968 would fine me at NAS Guam with our sister squadron we shared the ramp space with, as an early warning outfit flying the Super Guppies with the huge belly radome and and upper fin. I had one long interesting flight in one on the way to detachment of "Det Townsville" in Australia. At about 10,000 or so feet as we flew over the interior of New Guinea, the pilot announced he would be shutting down one engine; than another and moments later yet another finally shutting down the last. The roar of the big recip (Pratts), is now gone and the only sound is the air passing over the fuselage. The jungle is looking greener, there are no villages or towns but an occasional waterfall of steep bluff appears. I should add they have the nickname of tri-motors because they usually went out on 4 but returned on 3. Getting low and close, yes our palms are sweating but one engine starts that's been slowly windmilling belches a puff of smoke and oil and coughs to life and then the next and now I have to keep those promises made to God and .. please fix the honey bucket when we get there (never happened).

Leave a comment:

• brianw999
    replied
    This is so easy that you only get one clue....for now.

Connie stars at the main gate.

Leave a comment:

• guamainiac
    replied
    brain fade ?

First thing I thought of was Schweizer because of the turf but whatever I sourced just mentioned two paved. Sure enough the Wiki notes the turf. The sailplanes and Ag-Cats would demand a turf runway. I feel like the pilot who landed at the wrong airport.

I almost did that once in a 185 float plane. I did a sight seeing tour up at Mount Katahdin in Maine. The fellow handed me the controls after we chatted a bit. Everything was fine till I turned to "final" and he chuckled and took if from me. I asked what was wrong, the lake was in the proper compass direction, white house, big red barn on the east shore? Wrong lake, every house is white with a red barn. Best was that wife and I had just started dating and I never discussed flying with her. She was back seat and as we circled the peak she notice the pilot had his arms crossed and then started scribbling something. She asked who was flying the plane. He dead paned "he is". She asked if I knew how to fly .. "No but it's not as hard as they make it sound"

Oh, and Schweizer made the Hughes 300 out of there too. It seemed so easy how did I miss the turf, I looked it up worst of all

Leave a comment:

• jkstark
    replied
    As alluded to earlier, but mentioned as a "Does not fit" - KELM it is...

The Wings of Eagles discovery center recently moved off-airport, essentially across the street. Sikorsky's Hawk Works moved in less than 6 years ago if my memory serves right, and closed up shop only a few months ago... In fact, the expansion of Sikorsky SMCC into the old Wings of Eagles space was only started in 2011. Schweizer is still in its original location as far as I know. As to the turf strip - it is rarely used, but is useful for when gliders need to land quickly after taking to the air from the Harris Hill gliding center - which is less than 3 miles away...

guamainiac - what does not fit Elmira?

Over to you!

Leave a comment:

• brianw999
    replied
    Elmira Corning Regional Airport ?

Leave a comment:

Working...
X