• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• j)
    26°58'59.08"N
    28°51'59.82"E
    Middle of nowhere, Egypt

I say middle of nowhere, but it ain't quite as bad as in Canada. At least this spot has colour photography.

And the city on two continents has to be Istanbul, Turkey.
    Please visit my website! http://www.schipholspotter.com/

Don't make me use uppercase...

Comment

• I've been trying to work out how, from a point in GoogleEarth, to go a particular distance on a particular heading.
      Any hints gratefully accepted.
      If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

• Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
        I've been trying to work out how, from a point in GoogleEarth, to go a particular distance on a particular heading.
        In the horizontal toolbar there is an icon of a small ruler with a globe behind it. Select this option. A screen will open in which you can select the measure of distance (KMs, Miles etc). Now select the starting point with the mouse, and move the mouse to the destination point. While doing so the distance and heading will show on the pop-up screen. As far as I know there is no simple way of entering a heading and distance and let the computer figure out where you're headed. But maybe I'm using an older version of G-Earth, don't know.

Comment

I've been trying to work out how, from a point in GoogleEarth, to go a particular distance on a particular heading.
          Use the ruler function

Paul

Originally posted by Petertenthije View Post
          Istanbul, Turkey.
          The FA says:

That is indeed the answer to 6.10 and the final resting place for Challenge 6 so...
          ... would all detectives please travel 957.5 miles from (j) on a heading of 1 degree.

As you will have seen The Mathematician pointing out, we expect discrepancies between coordinates and would like to gather data about how accurate this method is as a basis for a challenge. The crew would appreciate it if everybody's final coordinates are posted for this purpose.

Once there, please report the name of the nearest international airport to your coordinates.

The Poet says:

Many congratulations to the sleuths
          They've gone through all the Challenge moves
          They'll soon be gaining information
          About the port of destination
          Last edited by HB-IHC; 2009-11-23, 21:33. Reason: Typo

All our final decisions are made in a state of mind that is not going to last (Marcel Proust)

Comment

• Originally posted by HB-IHC View Post
            Many congratulations to the sleuths
            They've gone through all the Challenge moves
            They'll soon be gaining information
            About the port of destination
            ....and about bloody time too !!
            If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

....and about bloody time too !!
              I don't know... loaf off and expect everyone else to do your work for you

I'm not around much at the moment but I see no-one's responded...

Originally posted by HB-IHC View Post
              ... would all detectives please travel 957.5 miles from (j) on a heading of 1 degree.

The crew would appreciate it if everybody's final coordinates are posted for this purpose.

Once there, please report the name of the nearest international airport to your coordinates.
              Coordinates? Nearest Airport?

Alternatively... if you've arrived at the same place as me after all those GE manouvers, then this will make sense...

The FA says:

Your destination airport not in the same continent as this airport.
              Last edited by HB-IHC; 2009-11-23, 21:34.

All our final decisions are made in a state of mind that is not going to last (Marcel Proust)

Comment

... would all detectives please travel 957.5 miles from (h) on a heading of 1 degree.
                67°55'19.48"N
                104°48'07.50"W
                Middle of nowhere, Nunavut province, Canada (in colour!)

The closest by airport is Cambridge Bay. I am not convinced this is an international airport. But the second nearest airport is 100s of KMs away for as far as I can see. And even that one is probably domestic only.

Are you sure we should start from (h) and not from (j)? I'd hate to think you led us on a wild goose chase, and that points (i) and (j) suddenly are no longer needed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Petertenthije View Post
                  67°55'19.48"N
                  104°48'07.50"W
                  Middle of nowhere, Nunavut province, Canada (in colour!)

The closest by airport is Cambridge Bay. I am not convinced this is an international airport. But the second nearest airport is 100s of KMs away for as far as I can see. And even that one is probably domestic only.

Are you sure we should start from (h) and not from (j)? I'd hate to think you led us on a wild goose chase, and that points (i) and (j) suddenly are no longer needed.
                  The Goose Keeper says:

Aha, you are keeping your geese well Peter!... an unfortuante typo by the crew (a super quick copy & paste this morning - unfortunately I forgot to change the last waypoint )

The FA says:

Ooops!... yes you are correct Peter, "h" should read "j"

I seem to be having one or two problems with the way the thread is showing up on the computer I'm using at the moment although I think I've found out what it is, but bare with me if things are a little strange.

Cheers, Paul
                  Last edited by HB-IHC; 2009-11-23, 21:39.

Comment

The Goose Keeper says:

Aha, you are keeping your geese well Peter!... an unfortuante typo by the crew (a super quick copy & paste this morning - unfortunately I forgot to change the last waypoint )

The FA says:

Ooops!... yes you are correct Peter, "h" should read "j"
                    Thought so, and not surprisingly we end up in Istanbul, the Asian side that is. So that is another continent down.

40°52'51.15"N
                    29°12'23.45"E
                    Istanbul, Turkey (Asia)

Nearest by airport is Istanbul Sabiha Gökcen.

To re-cap on where we are eventually headed. We have now narrowed it down to either Africa, or Oceania/Australasia.

Comment

• The Chief FA says:

As Peter rightly says, you now know that the destination airport is in one of the two continents he has noted below.

May I congratulate the JP.Dets for completing the challenges so far and thank you for your cooperation and help all of which has hopefully made this journey interesting and enjoyable... as well as challenging!

Originally posted by Petertenthije View Post
                      Thought so, and not surprisingly we end up in Istanbul, the Asian side that is. So that is another continent down.

40°52'51.15"N

29°12'23.45"E

Istanbul, Turkey (Asia)

Nearest by airport is Istanbul Sabiha Gökcen.

To re-cap on where we are eventually headed. We have now narrowed it down to either Africa, or Oceania/Australasia.

Absolutely Peter, and thanks for posting the final coordinates. I'm looking at maybe setting a challenge which relies on this method but I need to get an idea of how large a margin of error I would have to leave for it to work.

I will start drawing up plans for the next set of challenges to start later this week, all things being well... that is, of course, if no-one finds the airport by then!

Cheers, Paul
                      Last edited by HB-IHC; 2009-11-23, 22:18.

Comment

I will start drawing up plans for the next set of challenges to start later this week, all things being well... that is, of course, if no-one finds the airport by then!
                        Ivato Intl Airport Antananarivo, Madagascar.

Comment

• Originally posted by Petertenthije View Post
                          Ivato Intl Airport Antananarivo, Madagascar
                          The Poet says:

The world it was...
                          was getting thinner
                          And now we have...
                          we have a winner

The crew of BrianAir flight 001 says:

Tada!.... take a bow Peter: you have control

Comment

• Here's the next one:

Comment

• Hint 1: The airport started in 1931, but the terminal you see opened just a few years ago.

Comment

• Indianapolis(srry if spelled wrong) or AMS???
                                August 29th will be the worst day of the year.

Comment

Working...
                                X