• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aaaaaaahhhhhhh, I see now.

I join = connect

I dissect = I cut.

...Connecticut.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

• Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
      Aaaaaaahhhhhhh, I see now.

I join = connect

I dissect = I cut.

...Connecticut.

Absolutely... and to clarify the logic for others who may be interested..

"I" (with) join before (I) and dissect after (I) = join-I-dissect which, as you rightly say, we can substitute words of the same meaning to give connect-I-cut.

Well done.... and the airport is not in Connecticut!

More later this week if no-one gets the airport.

Cheers, Paul

All our final decisions are made in a state of mind that is not going to last (Marcel Proust)

Comment

• The Problem Proprietor pronounces:

... the cryptic clues seem to be going down OK so here's three more for you.

Of course you have one major clue for each... it's the same MO as before: find the State in each.

1) Isle of Wight acronym?
        2) This might not be Vermont but it's in a Vermont analysis
        3) What a state when flying in over Mont Blanc!

Cheers, Paul
        Last edited by HB-IHC; 2009-12-16, 20:35.

All our final decisions are made in a state of mind that is not going to last (Marcel Proust)

Comment

• Originally posted by HB-IHC View Post
          The Problem Proprietor pronounces:
          1) Isle of Wight acronym?
          2) This might not be Vermont but it's in a Vermont analysis
          3) What a state when flying in over Mont Blanc!
          1 - Iowa
          2 - ???
          3 - New Hampshire
          KC-135: Passing gas and taking names!

Comment

• 2. but it's in a Vermont analysis

Comment

2. but it's in a Vermont analysis
              Originally posted by Moose135 View Post
              1 - Iowa
              2 - ???
              3 - New Hampshire

The probelm Proprietor proclaims:

Sirs, congratulations on resolving two of them.

Iowa and Montana are correct and the airport is not in these States.

The third clue needs more attention since New Hampshire is not the correct solution.

Comment

• OK. There are the White Mountains (plural) in New Hampshire...

...which is incorrect...

Assuming you are speaking in a singular manner then Mont Blanc translates to White Mountain which refers to an individual mountain in ....

Alaska,
                California
                ...and..
                Wyoming.

Could this be a sneaky clue that actually wipes out 3 states in one go ?

Comment

OK. There are the White Mountains (plural) in New Hampshire...

...which is incorrect...

Assuming you are speaking in a singular manner then Mont Blanc translates to White Mountain which refers to an individual mountain in ....

Alaska,
                  California
                  ...and..
                  Wyoming.

Could this be a sneaky clue that actually wipes out 3 states in one go ?

The Problem proprietor proclaims:

I like the analysis Brian and, while I'm not given to perfection, I've reconsidered the clue for misleading logic and it does give you your answer also... "What a state when..."

Having said that, I think yours and Moose's attempts are well thought out in themselves so I feel obliged to give a reasonable response to them.

In that sense, although I accept that these answers could fit the clue in the ways you are suggesting, in doing so the clue would be relegated from 'cryptic' to a mere statement which requires one simple translation and a bit of research.

The solution is, therefore, not as you suggest and I will leave the clue to stand as is. However, this I will tell you... I think you guys might kick yourselves when you solve it!

Paul
                  Last edited by HB-IHC; 2009-12-17, 20:44.

Comment

• Aaaaahhhhh....shit !!!

.....over Mont Blanc.

Comment

Aaaaahhhhh....shit !!!

.....over Mont Blanc.

The Problem Proprietor proclaims:

Your eloquence knows no bounds sir!

Here's the list of surviving possibilities:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Florida Georgia Illinois Indiana Kentucky Louisiana Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Mississippi Missouri Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Mexico New York North Carolina Ohio Oklahoma Rhode Island South Carolina Tennessee Texas Utah Virginia West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming

Comment

• Happy Christmas... quiz...

OK ye merry gentlefolk… with a little time on my hands now and no movement on this I've prepared a little quiz for your Christmas present.

Nine, yes no less than nine, States are hidden within the clues below. Some are general knowledge, some detective work, some cryptic (logic), some are just straight forward puzzles and some may require more than one approach.

As usual, no trick questions and all questions reveal the name of a State, either directly or indirectly as part of the answer. Because you know each answer is a US State you are required to give the State AND a brief explanation of the answer.

For example, a question of: Glen Miller song which made a hotel famous worldwide, would need to be answered along the lines of: Song = Pennsylvania Six-Five-Thousand… which is the phone number of the Hotel Pennsylvania, Manhattan. State = Pennsylvania.

By all means, knock individual questions off rather than the whole lot in one attempt if you want.

Good luck and enjoy!

1. A Gold or Black Turkey is a traditional Christmas meal in many countries but consider, if you would, another breed of bird for your table, one as brightly coloured as Boeing’s first workshop.

2. This airline handles for United Airlines at more than twenty cities throughout the US.

3. Whilst bashing his swede and potatoes, Farmer Giles tells us that, instead of being back home in Dorset, he’s in…”ooooaaar, ooooaaar, Kansas!”

4. The county... I’ve found it!, but the State?

5. I have a plough on my flag.

6. I view ratings in a confused state.

7. I have EF and an OB on my SF.

8. Why remove the hydrogen and, oh, remove the hydrogen again before the dynasty ends.

9. Ask inside Rossiya Airlines initially in order to follow the beginnings of stellar gas clouds.

Happy Christmas to one and all,

Paul
                        Last edited by HB-IHC; 2009-12-24, 00:54.

Comment

• 2. This airline handles for United Airlines at more than twenty cities throughout the US.

Air Wisconsin handles ground operations for United Express in a number of cities in the US.

3. Whilst bashing his swede and potatoes, Farmer Giles tells us that, instead of being back home in Dorset, he’s in…”ooooaaar, ooooaaar, Kansas!”

Sounds like he is trying to say Arkansas

Eureka County is in Nevada

Happy Christmas to one and all,
                          And to you and yours, Paul!
                          KC-135: Passing gas and taking names!

Comment

• Stuck on No.7 but the rest are...

1. Rhode Island. ( Chicken...Rhode Island Red ?... and I think Boeing are involved in some kind of engineering workshop there.)

5. Wisconsin ( Only one left with a plough on the flag. )

6. West Virginia. ( Anagram of "I view ratings" )

9. Nebraska. ( NEBula [first part of cosmic gas clouds]....ASK inside RA )

Comment

• Originally posted by Moose135 View Post

2. This airline handles for United Airlines at more than twenty cities throughout the US.

Air Wisconsin handles ground operations for United Express in a number of cities in the US.

Sounds like he is trying to say Arkansas

Eureka County is in Nevada
                              Congrat's Moose: 3/3

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                              Stuck on No.7 but the rest are...

1. Rhode Island. ( Chicken...Rhode Island Red ?... and I think Boeing are involved in some kind of engineering workshop there.)

5. Wisconsin ( Only one left with a plough on the flag. )

6. West Virginia. ( Anagram of "I view ratings" )

9. Nebraska. ( NEBula [first part of cosmic gas clouds]....ASK inside RA )
                              Congrat's Brian: 3/4

#5... Wisconsin is the answer to #2 which Moose has got. I confirm that the questions are correct.

#1... FYI, Boeing's first workshop was "The Red Barn": http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6734897... hence the reference to colour.

Gentlemen... the airport is not in the 6 States you've identified so the surviving list of States now reads: Alabama, Alaska, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Illinois, Indiana, Kentucky, Louisiana, Maryland, Massachusetts, Michigan, Mississippi, Missouri, New Hampshire, New Mexico, New York, North Carolina, Ohio, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas, Utah, Virginia, Wyoming

To recap, the three outstanding questions are:

5. I have a plough on my flag.

7. I have EF and an OB on my SF.

8. Why remove the hydrogen and, oh, remove the hydrogen again before the dynasty ends.

Paul
                              Last edited by HB-IHC; 2009-12-25, 19:10.

Comment

• Whoops, I forgot No.8. = Wyoming.
                                Remove the H from WHY and OH and the dynasty is the Ming dynasty.

...and just got No.8. ....... you sneaky little beggar, not a plough as in agriculture but a Plough as in astronomy, The Great Bear, Ursa Major....otherwise known as The Plough....

....and on the state flag of Alaska.

So now we're left with...

Alabama,
                                Arizona,
                                California,
                                Colorado,
                                Florida,
                                Georgia,
                                Illinois,
                                Indiana,
                                Kentucky,
                                Louisiana,
                                Maryland,
                                Massachusetts,
                                Michigan,
                                Mississippi,
                                Missouri,
                                New Hampshire,
                                New Mexico,
                                New York,
                                North Carolina,
                                Ohio,
                                Oklahoma,
                                South Carolina,
                                Tennessee,
                                Texas,
                                Utah
                                and Virginia.
                                Last edited by brianw999; 2009-12-25, 21:50.

Comment

Working...
                                X