• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
    Eshott Airfield.
    yep

Comment

• EU. Single runway.

Going to this place could well involve a pilgrimage ?
      If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

• Lourdes airport?
        Please visit my website! http://www.schipholspotter.com/

Don't make me use uppercase...

Comment

• Originally posted by Petertenthije View Post
          Lourdes airport?
          That really would be too obvious. No, not Lourdes.

The country this airport is in uses the Euro currency now....but before the Euro it would have taken a Pole to push this country's currency down the river ?

Comment

That really would be too obvious. No, not Lourdes.

The country this airport is in uses the Euro currency now....but before the Euro it would have taken a Pole to push this country's currency down the river ?
            Tough cryptic hint there. I am doubting between Greece and Latvia (I have no desire explaining the thought process that got me there ). So, let's say Riga?

Comment

Tough cryptic hint there. I am doubting between Greece and Latvia (I have no desire explaining the thought process that got me there ). So, let's say Riga?
              I'll rewrite a part of the previous clue with one important change. Same words, but there is a subtle change...

"....but before the Euro it would have taken a pole to push this country's currency down the river."

....and no, it's not Riga.

Comment

• Umbria International Airport S.Egidio -Perugia- Italy?

close to Italian's pelgrim-city Assisi.

Comment

• Nope.

Look again at the cryptic clue. If you were going to use a pole to push something down a river what type of vessel might you be in ? The name of the vessel will give you the country's last currency before the euro.

Comment

Nope.

Look again at the cryptic clue. If you were going to use a pole to push something down a river what type of vessel might you be in ? The name of the vessel will give you the country's last currency before the euro.
                    Are we looking for the official (local) name of the currency, or the English name of the currency. (assuming they are different)

Comment

Are we looking for the official (local) name of the currency, or the English name of the currency. (assuming they are different)
                      I think I know where you are going here....answer is yes to the local name, which sounds like a shortened version of the English name.

Comment

• Going by the boat, that would be a punt and before the euro the country that used the punt is Ireland, so.

Cork?
                        Shannon?
                        Galway?
                        Waterford?
                        Knock?

Judging by the pilgrimage I would go for Knock or possible Cork (for the blarney stone)

Comment

• Knock Airport it is.

A relatively new airport being opened in 1985. This extract from Wikipedia....

History

The airport was officially opened on 30 May 1986, however the first commercial flights operated seven months earlier on 25 October 1985 in the form of three Aer Lingus charter flights to Rome.[4] The opening followed a long campaign by Monsignor James Horan.[4] The airport was intended to bring employment to an impoverished corner of Ireland, as well as allow pilgrims to visit the nearby Roman Catholic Knock Shrine which commemorates an apparition of the Virgin Mary in 1879.

Ryanair commenced flights to London Luton during 1986, with a route to London Stansted added in 1992. By 1988, over 100,000 passengers had passed through the airport. In 1995 Aer Lingus commenced flights to Birmingham.[4]
                          In June 2003 hundreds of people gathered at Knock International Airport to view a Boeing 747 land with 500 returning pilgrims from Lourdes. The aircraft stood as high as the airport's air traffic control tower. It was the second 747 to land at Knock.

Comment

• this airport is in the middle of nowhere, 2 runways 6 airlines. You have only one more clue left so spend wisely.

Comment

• Petropavlovsk-Kamchatsky Airport ?

Comment

• no, forget the amount of airlines and runways, I will give you an extra clue but it will be cryptic, see below.

If you are to visit from the EU you have only two choices. 1 on a red plane 1 on white, but both the same size. choice number 2 loves the ground and often refuses to takeoff.

Comment

Working...
                                X