Collapse
This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• You have the right idea, Chris, just the wrong field. Sheppard AFB is named for a US Senator from Texas, who was an early supporter of the military. The base in question was once named for a WWI aviator, but was changed shortly afterwards.
    KC-135: Passing gas and taking names!

Comment

• Cessna T .. 3 runways .... 3 runways? Is one a stealth runway?
      Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

Comment

• No, it has three real runways...one long, one medium, one short.

Comment

• Columbus AFB ?

14th FTW operated T37's known as the "6000 pound dog whistle" due to its piercing engine sound. Even today ear defenders are obligatory when on a T37 flightline.

For a short time named Kaye Field in honor of Capt Sam Kaye, a World War I flying ace from Columbus.

From wikipedia....

No one designated or suggested a name for the new base until January 22, 1942. On that date, the War Department announced the installation would be named Kaye Field, in honor of Capt Sam Kaye, a World War I flying ace from Columbus. That designation went into effect on February 24. However, the name issue soon became one of confusion because another nearby base, Key Field in Meridian, Mississippi which had a similar sounding name. To correct the problem, in March 1942, the War Department changed the name of the base from Kaye Field to Columbus Army Flying School.
          On "reduced activity status" January–March 1946; inactivated, August 15, 1946; removed from inactive status, placed on active status, and changed to primary installation, December 20, 1950.

3 runways, long, medium and short...

13C/31C12,0003,658Concrete
          13L/31R8,0002,438 Asphalt/Concrete
          13R/31L6,3001,920Concrete

....but I'll be damned if I can find any "prehistoric" connection.
          Last edited by brianw999; 2011-05-03, 15:19.
          If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

• Ding, ding, ding, we have a winner! That's correct, Brian, Columbus AFB. It started out training pilots during WWII, later became a SAC base, hosting B-52s and KC-135s (those "prehistoric creatures defending against the Red Menace").

In 1969/70, it was transferred to the Air Training Command, and once again it serves to train Air Force pilots (myself included...)

Comment

• 2 runways, the shorter being rarely used. The last time the short one was used it resulted in a fatal crash.

Carries the name of two WW2 airfields, both close to each other, one of which no longer exists.

Comment

• Grass runways.

Comment

• Peterborough Sibson UK ??

Comment

• Originally posted by guamainiac View Post
                    Peterborough Sibson UK ??
                    Nope. Right country though.

Comment

• Lashenden Headcorn .. not that I would first look in your back yard?

21 looks scary short or the run out looks not too inviting.

Comment

• Originally posted by guamainiac View Post
                        Lashenden Headcorn .. not that I would first look in your back yard?

21 looks scary short or the run out looks not too inviting.
                        Lashenden Headcorn it is.

It was on 21 that a parachute plane pilot tried a takeoff, made an error and lost his life as a result.

The airfield is quite an innocuous looking place with no real evidence of the WW2 involvement. Read more here.... http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lashend...corn)_Airfield

Comment

• If Molly Malone were to take flight it would be ...

Comment

• Dublin ?

Comment

• OK, not from, but a good destination FOR the buxom lass.

Comment

• It has one runway but it's said to be very unique.

Comment

Working...
                                X