• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by jkstark View Post
    This one is a happy, holy place...
    The Vatican's heliport.

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
    Have a good trip........lucky sod !
    Not as lucky as I'd like considering some a**hole Russian stole my camera and all my lenses. Plucked them right out of my bag while a mate of theirs asked for directions. They needed less time to take my camera and two spare lenses then it takes me to take out just the camera. I suppose they did not need to be carefull since they did not pay for it.
    Please visit my website! http://www.schipholspotter.com/

Don't make me use uppercase...

Comment

• Ugh - sorry to hear that...

As to the Vatican - sorry... This is a commercial, fixed wing airport...

Comment

• Thieving bastards. May they succumb to a particularly slow and painful death. Hope you're insured OK ?
        Last edited by brianw999; 2012-08-16, 20:47.
        If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

• Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
          Thieving bastards. May they succumb to a particularly slow and painful death.
          R'amen to that! I am already praying to the flying spaghetti monster that he will strangle the guys and stick His largest meatballs in their rectum area.

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
          Hope you're insured OK ?
          I've got both travel insurance and a seperate insurance on the camera and all lenses. While I have no illusions this affair will "break even", it should not be the end of the world either.

At this point I am mostly annoyed at loosing my photos from Saint Petersburg. It´s a beautiful city, and I also had a lucky break with some very cool photos of a medical Mi-8 landing just metres in front of me (check it out, RA-24100, awesome livery).

I'll see what happens to my mood after tomorrow, when I've had a visit at the insurance agent's.

Comment

• Originally posted by Petertenthije View Post
            I'll see what happens to my mood after tomorrow, when I've had a visit at the insurance agent's.
            Happy to report that my mood is still favourable after visiting the insurance agent. As expected I won't get the full "new-value" back for everything that was stolen, but it's close enough. Time to go shopping for a new camera and lenses somewhere. Probably the 60D, definately another 100-400L and another lense (to be decided on) below that.

Comment

• Mrs Whitelegg, aka "er indoors" has a 60D.......and I have to say that it's a nice bit of kit.....praise indeed from a Nikonian like me.
              And I thoroughly agree with the 100-400L.

Comment

• Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                Mrs Whitelegg, aka "er indoors" has a 60D.......and I have to say that it's a nice bit of kit.....praise indeed from a Nikonian like me.
                I am more and more nudging towards getting the 7D instead of the 60D. Depending on the store it is roughly 250 to 300 euros more expensive, but it will take compact flash cards which the 60D does not. So while the body is a bit more expensive, I can offset that partially against not having to buy new memory cards. On top of that, the 7D is faster and better build (weather sealing is a big plus in NL).

And to get back on topic:

King Abdulaziz International Airport, the main airport for pilgrimage to Mecca.

Comment

• Nice gear in any case - although I know very little about the Canons... Much more of a Nikon type myself, although not much of that either any longer...

JED is not it though...

This one started life as a military field...

Comment

• First commercial flights were operated from a 3800 ft runway; since shortened, and then extended to current length at over double the intermediate distance.

Comment

• Total stab in the dark.

Arnold AFB in Tennessee, named after Hap Arnold and now open to a number of commercial ventures?

Holy ... ya' got me by the sneakers?

Eating at a Burger King in London in 1980, I realized I left my Canon on the seat and rushed back to find it gone. I was headed back to my hotel when I saw a "young punk" with my camera around his neck. I was about to nab him when he smiled upon seeing me. One of the staff overheard what hotel I was staying in and he was bringing it back. A few weeks later in Youghal Ireland, I left it on the roof of the car and broke into a dead run only to be stopped by a old timer. He said to relax, the only thing would happen was if it rained; someone would put the camera on the seat so it didn't get wet.
                      Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

Comment

• I had an old camera stolen from me, and realized only a few minutes later that it had happened. I had no question in my mind as to who it was, and after calling the police and describing the person, they immediately gave me a name - apparently an old "friend" of theirs. So, off to their apartment, where the police decided very kindly to just confiscate the drugs from the thief on condition that they tell them where the camera had been pawned off at. That turned out to be upstairs, and getting it back was no big deal...

But, no... Arnold is not it...

Currently, this field has no military presence on it at all - commercial flights only. Initial flights were operated by HS 748's

Comment

• Near a river that is in the top 50 by rate of water discharge in the world.

Comment

• Jolly Grant Airport, Dehadrun, India ?

Comment

• That's the one...

The airport was quite an experience in a 748 at the time... Aircraft was pushed by hand to have the main gear at just the edge of the pavement. Stand on the brakes, run up the engines to absolute max power and sit there for a little bit. Finally, let go of the brakes and hope that the aircraft will become airborne in the space available.

Arrivals were VFR only; imagine those during the monsoon...

Not only that, the "terminal" at the time was nothing more than a frame and thatch roof, along with a little bit of canvas to separate security cleared passengers and to provide a bit of privacy in the security clearance section.

Quite the experience to say the least...

Apparently, the airport has gone through quite a bit of changes over the years, and has quite the nice terminal these days...

You're up....

Comment

• A tourist destination by the sea....

......the residents could possibly be said to rather irritable !

Comment

Working...
                                X