Electrical Gyros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Airbus_A320 View Post
    Which is what I was trying to tell him to begin with. I think the problem is that he doesn't really understand what his instructor asked/told him, or what he's asking here.
    I suspect it's a little of both.

Comment

No, Tanner has asked what is a perfectly legitimate question. Just because you don't NEED to know it for an exam or to fly a plane doesn't mean its not a a good question! (Although, for the record, the AUS ATPL did go into the inner workings of Ring Laser Gyros)

For example... Boeings suite of operations manuals for their aircraft contain really very little information, as to operate the aircraft as a pilot you don't need to know a lot more, for example how the potable water refill system works. This does not mean that as a pilot you may not wish to know how it works.

Airbus_A320 and Spad13 ... I would very much disagree. I think that Tanner very clearly understands his instructors question, and shows a much deeper understanding of how the system works than you do. Is this required knowledge for training? Probably not. But its still interesting.

A320, I would second Tanners comment that after your initial response, if you don't know the answer, then just don't reply. It is you that ends up looking like a fool for continuously deriding someone for asking a legitimate question. Dmmoore has provided the answer (as usual! Its good to have someone here with that level of systems knowledge!).

Comment

Originally posted by MCM View Post
        Airbus_A320 and Spad13 ... I would very much disagree. I think that Tanner very clearly understands his instructors question, and shows a much deeper understanding of how the system works than you do.
        Well, we don't know what the instructor actually asked, so....

Comment

Originally posted by MCM View Post
          No, Tanner has asked what is a perfectly legitimate question. Just because you don't NEED to know it for an exam or to fly a plane doesn't mean its not a a good question! (Although, for the record, the AUS ATPL did go into the inner workings of Ring Laser Gyros)

For example... Boeings suite of operations manuals for their aircraft contain really very little information, as to operate the aircraft as a pilot you don't need to know a lot more, for example how the potable water refill system works. This does not mean that as a pilot you may not wish to know how it works.

Airbus_A320 and Spad13 ... I would very much disagree. I think that Tanner very clearly understands his instructors question, and shows a much deeper understanding of how the system works than you do. Is this required knowledge for training? Probably not. But its still interesting.

A320, I would second Tanners comment that after your initial response, if you don't know the answer, then just don't reply. It is you that ends up looking like a fool for continuously deriding someone for asking a legitimate question. Dmmoore has provided the answer (as usual! Its good to have someone here with that level of systems knowledge!).
          Well, yes it is interesting, and I was replying because I was trying to figure out exactly what was being asked and wanted to get an answer myself. He started off asking about electric gyros, then he started asking about airplanes that use the solid state laser gyros which as Don explained are not mechanical electric gyros. They both run on electricity, but operate differently. Since Tanner wasn't finding an answer he decided he would look in the EMB-145 manual and apparently didn't find an answer because as you said yourself, aircraft manuals wouldn't go into that type of detail. That's why I said that he sounded like he didn't really understand what his instructors question was, as is sounded like he was asking about two different types of gyros and making it sound like they were one in the same. And when he made it clear that he was more interested in how the gyro itself functioned, I told him that he should look up technical details of gyro operation (whatever type he was actually referring to) because his question was more about gyros than about airplanes.

The problem is that although Tanner had a good question, he can't just have a discussion with people who are interested in the same thing without being a condescending prick. It has been this way from day one. I wasn't trying to make it sound like I'm an expert on gyros, I'm not, I was just posting what I've learned so far trying to have a discussion, which is the point of this site.

That being said, here is some ring laser gyro operation theory: http://www.fas.org/man/dod-101/navy/docs/fun/rlg.htm

Comment

Tanner may have exhibited less than 100% polite behaviour in the past, but I think he has a right to be somewhat peeved when he asks a question and all he gets is people telling him answers that are nothing to do with his question, or that he doesn't need to know the answer.

All I'd ask Mr A320 (and I know that you were trying to give an answer to him the best you could, I have nothing against that ) is that maybe respond according to the question in the individual case... if he starts off being rude, then fine... but in this case he was perfectly civil and reasonable, and he got unreasonable responses for it.

Simpleboy... it is not an answer you're going to necessarily come across easily, and its reasonable to ask people here who do know the answer (there are some very knowledgable people lurking here!)

I didn't think, on this thread, that Tanner was being a prick at all, in fact being totally reasonable, given the feedback in the previous replies.

Just my 2c worth anyway

Comment

At UND when we were switching to the Avdyne glass in our aircraft we asked them how everything on the insided worked. They said that anything outside of what is in the manual is proprietary info and they wouldn't share. That's not the same as an electric gyro though because that one used solid state gyros.

Comment

Laser-ring gyro operating theory.

Proof that there is life beyond this planet. That shit was invented by aliens.....
                Bite me Airways.....

Comment

Working...
                X