Electrical Gyros

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Electrical Gyros

How do the torque motors know when to erect themselves? This question was asked in my instrument class for extra credit and I can't find it...
    Tanner Johnson - Owner
    twenty53 Photography

As soon as they get powered up. That would be when you turn on the master switch in a light plane.
    Bite me Airways.....

Comment

My question is...

How does the gyro detect that it is not erect (during flight) and erect itself. For example a vacuum driven gyro has pendulous vanes that open and close... Electrical gyros have torque motors, but how do they know when to erect. The vacuum driven ones are done by gravity force to swing the pendulous vanes to cover the exhaust valves to create an uneven force to cause the gyro to erect...make sense?
      Tanner Johnson - Owner
      twenty53 Photography

Comment

My question is...

How does the gyro detect that it is not erect (during flight) and erect itself. For example a vacuum driven gyro has pendulous vanes that open and close... Electrical gyros have torque motors, but how do they know when to erect. The vacuum driven ones are done by gravity force to swing the pendulous vanes to cover the exhaust valves to create an uneven force to cause the gyro to erect...make sense?
        Once the gyro is set, the gyro stays in one place and the airplane moves around the gyro. If enough friction is applied to a gyro which doesn't resist it to stay in the same place, then it precesses. I would guess that when the power is turned on to an electric gyro it erects and stays in that position. When you turn the airplane for example the gyro stays in the same place but the airplane moves around the gyro indicating a turn/climb/decent/bank depending on what gyro/instrument you're talking about. The only electric gyro in the planes you're flying is the turn coordinator IIRC, so basically when the power is turned on the gyro is set and when you bank the plane, the gyro stays in the same place and the plane banks around the gyro indicating a turn. The gyro is staying in the same place, the airplane is just moving whichever way around the gyro. For the Vacuum powered gyros that have a movable card, you have to reset them if they precess, I guess with the electric gyro any precession is dealt with automatically which is probably the reason why a turn coordinator lags a bit. I'm not completely sure about any of this though, just a guess.

Comment

I'm not necessarily talking about the planes I'm flying, it was a question posed by my instrument theory instructor. It's weird and kind of hard to understand.

Like I said above with the vacuum driven gyro it has the pendulous vanes. Electrical gyros have two torque motors, but how do those motors know the gyro needs to stay erected. That's how he put it to me tonight in class when I asked about it.

I read where there is a magnet on top of the gyro and then a like track around it with bearings. Once it turns the balls on the track fall making the gyro erect...is this correct?
          Tanner Johnson - Owner
          twenty53 Photography

Comment

Maybe, I don't know. Your question is more about gyroscopes than it is about airplanes. As I said, when the gyro gets turned on it erects and stays in the same place and the plane moves around it. If your question is the specifics of how the gyro itself does that, then you should look up technical details of how gyros work and you'll find your answer.

Comment

Gyros are quite a big part of airplanes... I have searched online and the reason I am asking is because I figured someone who has been taught how the gyros work would maybe be able to answer. Especially people flying the jets that use electronic gyros rather than Vacuum driven airplanes, especially since I'm sure in their systems training probably taught them. I guess I'm going to have to go the the EMB-145 manual and look it up.
              Tanner Johnson - Owner
              twenty53 Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Tanner_J View Post
                Gyros are quite a big part of airplanes... I have searched online and the reason I am asking is because I figured someone who has been taught how the gyros work would maybe be able to answer. Especially people flying the jets that use electronic gyros rather than Vacuum driven airplanes, especially since I'm sure in their systems training probably taught them. I guess I'm going to have to go the the EMB-145 manual and look it up.
                Yes, but you are asking about the inner workings of the gyro itself, not how it works as part of an airplane system. As part of the airplane system, the gyro stays in one place and the airplane moves around it and if/when it precesses forces applied to it move it so it becomes inaccurate over time. What you are asking is what happens inside the gyro to make it function as a gyro.

Comment

But you are still taught that as a part of systems training. You obviously don't know the answer so stop replying and maybe someone else will answer. I knew how a vacuum gyro worked so obviously someone who flies with an electric one and goes through decent flight training (141 or airline) would know and can answer this. He'll maybe a mechanic might be here.
                  Tanner Johnson - Owner
                  twenty53 Photography

Comment

Do you have to be such a prick to everyone?

Honestly, go look it up in your book, Im sick of you being so lazy when you having something that will tell you but come here and ask instead!

Man, i sound like you in every single thread where someone asks for advice about their camera.
                    Sam Rudge
                    A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

Pfm

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu View Post
                        Pfm
                        The answer to everything.

Comment

1st.
                          Most commercial aircraft produced in the last 10 years do not use mechanical gyros. The solid state "Ring Laser" gyro is used.

2nd.
                          The electric mechanical gyro erects in exactly the same principles as the vacuum gyro. It senses gravity in the same way and signals the torque motors using transducers instead of vanes.
                          Don
                          Standard practice for managers around the world:
                          Ready - Fire - Aim! DAMN! Missed again!

Comment

Originally posted by Tanner_J View Post
                            But you are still taught that as a part of systems training. I knew how a vacuum gyro worked so obviously someone who flies with an electric one and goes through decent flight training (141 or airline) would know and can answer this.
                            For the record, I went through a 141 school and am currently employed by a Part 121 air carrier. Neither place got into the inner workings of gyros, not least because a pilot doesn't need to know that sort of thing that deeply.

Comment

Originally posted by Spad13 View Post
                              For the record, I went through a 141 school and am currently employed by a Part 121 air carrier. Neither place got into the inner workings of gyros, not least because a pilot doesn't need to know that sort of thing that deeply.
                              Which is what I was trying to tell him to begin with. I think the problem is that he doesn't really understand what his instructor asked/told him, or what he's asking here.

Comment

Working...
                              X