V-Ref Speeds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• V-Ref Speeds

Hi, I am really board and know that pilots usually calculate the v-ref speeds for and airplane, but does anyone know the formula?

Thanks Nehal

Originally posted by C-FMWQ View Post
    Hi, I am really board and know that pilots usually calculate the v-ref speeds for and airplane, but does anyone know the formula?

Thanks Nehal
    While it is formula driven, 99.9% of all airline pilots use charts.
    Don
    Standard practice for managers around the world:
    Ready - Fire - Aim! DAMN! Missed again!

Comment

The very rough formula is that Vref is roughly 130% of the stall speed at that weight and in that config. But yes, we use charts.

Comment

Originally posted by Dmmoore View Post
        While it is formula driven, 99.9% of all airline pilots use charts.
        Originally posted by Spad13 View Post
        The very rough formula is that Vref is roughly 130% of the stall speed at that weight and in that config. But yes, we use charts.
        Well I was wondering what the formula was since I watched a Mayday episode and they did the calculation.

Thanks Nehal

Comment

That IS the formula. Vref = 1.3*Vso. Vso is the stall speed when configured for landing. (basically)
          Bite me Airways.....

Comment

Originally posted by LRJet Guy View Post
            That IS the formula. Vref = 1.3*Vso. Vso is the stall speed when configured for landing. (basically)
            Don't you add to that 5kts or (50% of the headwind component + 100% of the gust increment), whichever is greater?

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
            --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
              Don't you add to that 5kts or (50% of the headwind component + 100% of the gust increment), whichever is greater?
              That depends on the aircraft and the operator, but, in any case, the original question was how the charted Vref number is arrived at. Nehal wasn't asking how/when it's tweaked.

Comment

Working...
              X