Aborted takeoff

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Aborted takeoff

Yesterday I was really excited because I got to fly on one of Avianca's new A319 but the experience came with a bonus. A few seconds after we started the takeoff roll the plane began to zigzag on the runway, albeit in a seemingly controlled manner, and to slow down as thrust was no longer applied.

The plane went towards the runway exit, did a 180 turn to take the taxiway again (never stopped or returned to the airport) as the pilot went on the speakers to tell the cabin that we had to abort takeoff because of a problem in the front landing gear and that it was now fixed, got to the runway again and we took off to BOG. The new takeoff, the rest of the flight and landing were perfect.

I am curious as to what happened: Is there a special configuration for takeoff of the front landing gear and maybe the pilot forgot to engage it? Or what happened?

maybe soe sort of fuel or something was leaking?
    August 29th will be the worst day of the year.

Comment

Originally posted by alwaysconcorde View Post
      Yesterday I was really excited because I got to fly on one of Avianca's new A319 but the experience came with a bonus. A few seconds after we started the takeoff roll the plane began to zigzag on the runway, albeit in a seemingly controlled manner, and to slow down as thrust was no longer applied.

The plane went towards the runway exit, did a 180 turn to take the taxiway again (never stopped or returned to the airport) as the pilot went on the speakers to tell the cabin that we had to abort takeoff because of a problem in the front landing gear and that it was now fixed, got to the runway again and we took off to BOG. The new takeoff, the rest of the flight and landing were perfect.

I am curious as to what happened: Is there a special configuration for takeoff of the front landing gear and maybe the pilot forgot to engage it? Or what happened?
      My guess would be nosewheel steering failed momentarily. They likely reset it and had no further problems.

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingKing77 View Post
        maybe soe sort of fuel or something was leaking?
        Care to explain what fuel has to do with the nosewheel?

Comment

Originally posted by Spad13 View Post
          Care to explain what fuel has to do with the nosewheel?
          What I mean is....I don't know how to spell it...the stuff that leaked in UA 232

Comment

Originally posted by BoeingKing77 View Post
            What I mean is....I don't know how to spell it...the stuff that leaked in UA 232
            Hydraulic fluid?

Comment

Originally posted by JordanD View Post
              Hydraulic fluid?
              Yes!Thats it!

Comment

Working...
              X