Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• G-DALE
    replied
    I see someone has also asked the same question at PPrune. The most popular answer also seem to be that they're trails from military/fighter aircraft.

Of course, the real Mr. Knowitall members on there (and there's hundreds of them) are certain that the whole thing is photoshopped

Leave a comment:

• E-Diddy!
    replied
    That can't be a shockwave. It doesn't look like any kind of sonic shockwave I've seen before, a sonic shockwave wouldn't form condensation in the manner seen behind the flaps, and a 747 travelling fast enough to create a visible sonic shockwave would probably be experiencing Mach tuck.

Leave a comment:

• brianw999
    replied
    ...and there's a couple of elliptical marks in front of the starboard outer. Could they actually be higher than the aircraft ?, maybe a fighter contrail ?
    Last edited by brianw999; 2009-01-30, 10:24.

Leave a comment:

• pilotgolfer
    replied
    Not sure exactly about that one, but all in all it's a pretty sweet shot.

Leave a comment:

• BoeingKing77
    replied
    What happened to my post?Anywhy,my guess is as good as urs.hot dogging the desent

Leave a comment:

• Bok269
    replied
    It couldn't be a wake vortex could it? I can kind of make out a spiral formation.

Leave a comment:

• G-DALE
    started a topic Shockwave?

Shockwave?

The photo below depicts a B742F descending into New York with a 'shockwave' looking effect around the nose area and flaps on the port side wing.

I've seen shockwaves formed by military a/c and Concorde whilst breaking the sound barrier etc, I understand that. However I've never come across anything such as the below. I would be confident in saying that with a 200-400mm lens the a/c is below 10,000ft and therefore speed is not in excess of 250KIAS. Is it a high rate of descent that's causing this?

[photoid=6472254]

Thanks in advance.
Working...
X