This is a sticky topic.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lets's see some more of it, shall we?

It is indeed a rare bird, only one built, but it did enjoy a career spanning some 17 years. As this picture suggest, it is still extant albeit in a museum. This aircraft was built for a single purpose, the miniature elevators played a part in achieving this.

Cheers,
    Les sanglots longs des violons de l'automne blessent mon coeur d'une langueur monotone.

Comment

• Looks like it's designed for slow, very stable manoeuvring. That makes me think of air/ground photography.

....and I've seen that tail cone before but I'm buggered if I can remember where !
      If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

• We can't have that, can we young master Whitelegg?

Let's see if an engine may unbugger you...

And photography has nothing to do with the purpose of this aircraft, but stability is a clue.

Cheers,
        Les sanglots longs des violons de l'automne blessent mon coeur d'une langueur monotone.

Comment

• Was it used in some kind of instrument calibration ?

Comment

• Desolated, Sir, but alas no. But you have earned another peek, behold the nose of the beauty:

A textual hint; she bears the name of the engineer who designed her, but she was built by a company with a completely different name.

Cheers,

Comment

• Pressurised cabin perchance ? Something to do with altitude work ? And that landing gear. Trailing link often involves heavy landings, although the nose gear seems a bit spindly. Operations at altitude, large flaps etc to combat the thin air?

Actually, I'm rambling and totally guessing.

Comment

• No, not altitude. But your ramblings has led you into the ballpark, albeit a very large ballpark.

Short of posting a picture of the entire aircraft I shall have to rely on textual hints, here`s two:

It is made of wood.

It started out in 1954 with two 95 hp Régnier 4-EO four-cylinder air-cooled inverted in-line engines. But after having had a run in with a ditch it was re-engined in 1962 with two 170 hp Lycoming O-360 four-cylinder horizontally-opposed air-cooled engines.

Cheers,

Comment

• Finally found it.

Hirsch-MAéRC H-100.

I would never have got it without the last clue though. Wouldn't have mattered if you had posted a pic of the whole aircraft.

Comment

• That`s the one. And I must say, for a French aircraft it is rather good looking.

Your controls.

Cheers,

Comment

• A little bit of front window to start...

Comment

• Here's some more....

Comment

• lysander
                          http://www.flickr.com/photos/darrenvox
                          http://www.jetaircraftmuseum.ca

Comment

• Looks like it doesn't it?

But no, not a Lysander. When I get a chance tomorrow I'll post a bit more

Comment

• Here's some more...

Comment

• Time for some more...

Comment

Working...
                                X