• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It looks like A f-16 prototype to me.

Comment

• Originally posted by ced ampo View Post
      It looks like A f-16 prototype to me.
      Well... if you remove "F-16" from your text, you'll be left with a correct observation.

All our final decisions are made in a state of mind that is not going to last (Marcel Proust)

Comment

• Early F-100 super sabre? The position of the tailwing is wrong, but othen then that it's a close match.

Honestly, I don't know what it is. If you could give a hint or two...
        Please visit my website! http://www.schipholspotter.com/

Don't make me use uppercase...

Comment

• Originally posted by Petertenthije View Post
          Early F-100 super sabre? The position of the tailwing is wrong, but othen then that it's a close match.

Honestly, I don't know what it is. If you could give a hint or two...
          Not an early F-100 either.

Sorry, no hints on this. If no-one can nail it from the full photo then I'm pretty much going to have to tell you what it is in order to give you a hint that you can use.

Unless there are any objections, I'll keep it open for another 24 hours from this post after which I'll assume that it's beaten everyone.

Cheers, Paul

All our final decisions are made in a state of mind that is not going to last (Marcel Proust)

Comment

• OK... time to take the wraps off and put this one to bed.

Here's a brief overview of this aircraft's story:

Following the public scandal that grew out of the shortcomings of the Supermarine Swift program, development programs in Britain became publicly associated with failure and financial waste. However, at the time the Swift team were also engaged in longer term projects which were unknown in Britain at large and this aircraft was to be the Swift's successor.

As Erwin was quick to notice, it does bear some resemblance to the Swift but, in comparison, its split nose intake, compound sweep wing and area ruled fuselage made it a complete redesign which, together with its Avon RA.14R engine, gave it a capability of Mach 1.3.

By 1954, while building the first prototype, Vickers-Supermarine were also offering a second version to the RAF which was powered by the RB.106 turbojet and which had a longer fuselage and chin-type intake similar to the North American F-86D.

In 1955, following the failure of the Swift fighter, all development work on the Vickers 545 was cancelled and the project was abandoned.

I'll post up an easier one soon!

Cheers, Paul
            Last edited by HB-IHC; 2009-12-13, 17:39.

Comment

• A much easier one this time:

Comment

• Man that jet was a real cruncher. I'm glad I was a bit close with the Swift

Next round now.

My guess; Waco UPF-7/PT-14
                “The only time you have too much fuel is when you’re on fire.”

Erwin

Comment

• Originally posted by ErwinS View Post
                  Man that jet was a real cruncher. I'm glad I was a bit close with the Swift

Next round now.

My guess; Waco UPF-7/PT-14

nice one Erwin... as I said; a much easier one!

Well done, you have control!

Comment

• Allright next one.

Good luck

Erwin

Comment

• MiG-21?
                      Please visit my website! http://www.schipholspotter.com/

Don't make me use uppercase...

Comment

• Nope, but you are warm

Erwin

Comment

• J-7I (Chinese copy/licence built version of Mig 21 ) ?
                          If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

• No, Peter was closer.

Erwin

Comment

• Mikoyan-Gurevich Ye-152 ( a development of the Mig 21 ) ?
                              If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

• Almost Brian, one slightly earlier.

Erwin

Comment

Working...
                                X