Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hands on throttle levers

Hi everyone,
    in many videoclips about cockpit crew activity I noticed that, just before take off, when the captain moves the throttle levers forward to the full position, is sometimes aided in the movement by the first officer, who also puts his hand on the levers, just like he would make this operation easier.
    Is this behavior a normal procedure or is it for superstition or is it a TV fiction or anythingelse?

Thanks in advance.

I'm not a pilot but I believe that this action is designed to be a physical confirmation by the First Officer of the movement being applied to the power levers.
    I believe the same happens in the event of an engine shutdown, to confirm that the correct engine is being shut down.
    If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by emmegi View Post
      Hi everyone,
      in many videoclips about cockpit crew activity I noticed that, just before take off, when the captain moves the throttle levers forward to the full position, is sometimes aided in the movement by the first officer, who also puts his hand on the levers, just like he would make this operation easier.
      Is this behavior a normal procedure or is it for superstition or is it a TV fiction or anythingelse?

Thanks in advance.
      I am an F/O and we only do it if the Autothrust system doesn't set the correct N1 Take off thrust setting. Then you adjust it to the correct value.
      Usually the autothrust does an excellent job and I only had to adjust it 3 times or so in my 2000+ take offs so far.

I hope that helps.

wilco737

Comment

Originally posted by WILCO737 View Post
        I am an F/O and we only do it if the Autothrust system doesn't set the correct N1 Take off thrust setting. Then you adjust it to the correct value.
        Usually the autothrust does an excellent job and I only had to adjust it 3 times or so in my 2000+ take offs so far.

I hope that helps.

wilco737
        Oh, I see. It is probably used to emphasize the situation by moviemakers.
        Thanks a lot.

Comment

Originally posted by emmegi View Post
          Oh, I see. It is probably used to emphasize the situation by moviemakers.
          Thanks a lot.
          Yeah, it's more dramatic. But I cannot speak for all airplanes or all airlines. I am sure some airlines have a policy where this is done.
          But to be honest with some captains I don't want to have my hand there when they pull back on the throttles for a rejected take off. Some SLAM the throttles back to idle incredible strong and powerful and then I don't want my hand near that

wilco737

Comment

But to be honest with some captains I don't want to have my hand there when they pull back on the throttles for a rejected take off. Some SLAM the throttles back to idle incredible strong and powerful and then I don't want my hand near that..... wilco737
            ..... because i'll have a broken wrist.

Comment

Originally posted by ced ampo View Post
              ..... because i'll have a broken wrist.
              ... I can think of certain other reasons to why you wouldn't want to 'hold hands' with the Captain ... and then, of course, some where you might want to ( http://www.jetphotos.net/viewphoto.php?id=6690154 )

... the Autothrust system doesn't set the correct N1 Take off thrust setting. Then you adjust it to the correct value.
              Phil, I understand - it's great to have a pro. informing us! - but could you tell me what the "N1" refers to?

Thanks

All our final decisions are made in a state of mind that is not going to last (Marcel Proust)

Comment

Working...
              X