Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just Curious: What Commercial Airliners, Have Really High Power-To-Weight Ratios>?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Just Curious: What Commercial Airliners, Have Really High Power-To-Weight Ratios>?

What commercial airliners, both past & present, are considered "hotrods?"

I'm told the Boeing 777 is "king." Others have mentioned that the 757 w/ Rolls Royce engines is up there, too.

Amazing fly-by !!! Check the pitch and speed it rises throw the clouds !!! The camera shaked because the cameraman kicked by mistake the tripod.Video capture...

As a kid, I thought the stretched 60-series DC-8's, looked "lean & mean" , but I don't know if they were especially powerful.

Thanks for the opinions...

Just from a seat of the pants passenger perspective, I have always thought the smaller jets were powerful. The older 737 series and the DC-9/MD80. Nothing seemed to rocket to altitude from takeoff like them. Maybe some of that has to do with more than power/weight though.

Comment

IL-62 is pretty powerful...
      "The real CEO of the 787 project is named Potemkin"

Comment

MD-90 - class of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by HalcyonDays View Post
          MD-90 - class of its own.
          Agree

Comment

On topic

Can we move this out of the Safety forum?

Comment

Originally posted by Ulver View Post
              What commercial airliners, both past & present, are considered "hotrods?"

I'm told the Boeing 777 is "king." Others have mentioned that the 757 w/ Rolls Royce engines is up there, too.

Amazing fly-by !!! Check the pitch and speed it rises throw the clouds !!! The camera shaked because the cameraman kicked by mistake the tripod.Video capture...

As a kid, I thought the stretched 60-series DC-8's, looked "lean & mean" , but I don't know if they were especially powerful.

Thanks for the opinions...
              While thrust-to-weight ratio is the main factor affecting steady (i.e. constant speed and constant vertical speed) climbs, this video has nothing to do with that.

- In airshows the planes can be very light (no payload, little fuel), and thrust-to-weight is measured at MTOW which is a more typical take-off and climb weight.
              - The plane in this video has a BIG LOT of energy stored as kinetic energy. Even a glider with a thrust-to-weight ratio of 0, zero, nill, nothing, nada, can climb like hell after a very fast low fly-by.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
              --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

I've been on quite a few 757 flights that seemed like they climbed like bats out of hell.

Worst? 727's and DC-9

Comment

I'd be looking when fuel was cheap and the many manufacturers back then were searching for a USP (Unique Selling Proposition for any non marketing types).

How about Convair 990? Haven't checked the thrust to weight ratios but high speed comes from aerodynamics and power - don't know the 990 was particularly clean (despite the "Kuchemann Carrots"), so fairly well powered?

Either that or the 747SP - that had a reputation as a hot rod.

Comment

Originally posted by UncleFire View Post
                    Worst? 727's and DC-9
                    727 are well known for their pretty good thrust performance... One of the worst got to be the 340.... They couldn't take if if the earth was flat....

Comment

In my opinion the A300-600 has a very good performance as well. I did many flights (66) on it and their climbouts were impressive.
                      Another pretty powerful airplane is the MD11F Love those take offs

Comment

Boeing 707 200 series. Only a few, I think 4 or 5 were made for Braniff originally then they were traded for B727's from BWIA. They were the rocket ships of that time. Fast and could climb very quickly, especially from a hot and relatively high runway but extremely fuel INEFFICIENT. There are a few pix of these in Braniff and BWIA colors in the D/B.

Comment

Working...
                        X