Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Emirates 777-300 ER go aound in Frankfurt

Hi folks ,

it was the first time for me sitting in a plane and having a go around. We were aproaching the right runway in Frankfurt / Main airport as the captain decided to give full power taking the nose up and make a go around.

The aircraft was a B 777-300 ER Reg. A6-ECB from Emirates. Then we made a 130 degree turn to the right while retracting the flaps and taking the gear up.
    7 Minutes later we touched the runway safely and the Italian captain ( mille grazie for doing a good job ) explained the problem.

There was a Lufthansa Airbus A 320 on our runway waiting for t.a clearance.

Who is deciding all that ? The captain or the guys in the tower ?

Thank u mates for your postings.

A go-around can be initiated by either the pilots of an aircraft or the air traffic controllers. The routes flown after a missed approach are normally published on the approach charts for the respective runways or can be directed by ATC.

Comment

The normal course of events in a situation like this would be that the landing aircraft (in this case Emirates 777)would more than likely be aware of the Lufthansa on the runway but would be awaiting the tower to come across with "cleared to land".When this "cleared to land"did not come across due to an aircraft still on the runway either the pilot or tower could initiate or instruct a go around.At most major airports airliners will expect landing clearance.The very odd time I have witnessed a go around due to radio problems etc.even though there was no aircraft on the runway.
      With respect to the above several times at SXM I have witnessed local Islanders and Cessna Caravans advise tower to be on a base turn or turning finals and land with no "cleared to land" from the tower.....makes you wonder

Comment

Originally posted by Cairns65 View Post
        Then we made a 130 degree turn to the right...
        Do I dare ask how you knew it was 130?

Comment

Zomg!!!! Near disaster on the tarmac!

Comment

Originally posted by Curtis Malone View Post
            Do I dare ask how you knew it was 130?
            I would say it was a guesstimation(nothing wrong in that) on Cairns part(unless he was in a jump seat).
            Looking at the charts for Frankfurt a right turn after a missed approach to 25R you would take up a heading of something like 040 to bring the aircraft to the Metro(MTR) holding point which would be a right turn of 150 degree.

Comment

Originally posted by Shanwick View Post
              I would say it was a guesstimation(nothing wrong in that) on Cairns part(unless he was in a jump seat).
              Looking at the charts for Frankfurt a right turn after a missed approach to 25R you would take up a heading of something like 040 to bring the aircraft to the Metro(MTR) holding point which would be a right turn of 150 degree.

On 25R you fly 9 NM straight ahead until turning right to TAU and then R085 to MRT
              But usually the controllers give you an early right turn to keep you away from the other traffic and I am sure the EK crew wanted to return asap as you usually do not have too much fuel at this point and a go around in a 777 or other wide body airplane uses 3 tons fuel or more, depends on how fast you can start the next approach.

wilco737

Comment

Originally posted by WILCO737 View Post
                On 25R you fly 9 NM straight ahead until turning right to TAU and then R085 to MRT
                wilco737
                Nice one Wilco thanks for the clarification.The FS chart I have only had a go around for 25L with the procedure back to CHA
                I did get the impression from Cairns post that the controllers did give an early right turn as opposed to straight ahead for 9 NM.

Comment

Shanwick, can you provide a link to your avatar image? I've never seen a departure image like that from SXM. It must be insanely deafening.

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                    Shanwick, can you provide a link to your avatar image? I've never seen a departure image like that from SXM. It must be insanely deafening.
                    Send me a private message Evan with your email address

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                      . It must be insanely deafening.
                      Check this out http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eu91oZ2_Vag and turn up the volume ....not too sure it was the same day as I took the shots.

Comment

Originally posted by Shanwick View Post
                        Nice one Wilco thanks for the clarification.The FS chart I have only had a go around for 25L with the procedure back to CHA
                        I did get the impression from Cairns post that the controllers did give an early right turn as opposed to straight ahead for 9 NM.

Yeah, that happens most of the time that you get an early turn to keep you away from the other departures etc etc.

wilco737

Comment

Why is a go-around in the aviation SAFTEY forum?
                          The go around is a NORMAL procedure.
                          Not an ABNORMAL one, let alone an emergency, incident or accident.

Are we going to talk about take-offs, turns, holds etc in the safety forum?
                          I suggest moving it to the aviation forum or the briefing room.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
                          --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                            Not an ABNORMAL one, alone an emergency, incident or accident.

In fairness to the original poster, there seemed to be some question in his mind as to how routine an event this actually was... unlike the Emivest bankruptcy thread, in which I was recently set straight for questioning its placement in aviation safety. After all, didn't I realize there's a long-standing tradition on JP to place bankruptcy threads here (even though I've never seen one and they clearly do not belong?) Perhaps there's a similar unwritten rule regarding go-arounds.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                              Not an ABNORMAL one, let alone an emergency, incident or accident.

I don't want to get into a semantics battle with you ala your argument with Northwester re what is a destabilized vs really destabilized approach, but a go-around is not a NORMAL procedure, as most approaches result in landigs and not go-arounds. In fact, at airlines I'm familiar with a go-around requires an IOR (irregular operations report).

Comment

Working...
                              X