iPad Flight Manuals

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• iPad Flight Manuals

Alaska Airlines has begun a program to phase out printed flight manuals with digital copies carried on an iPad.

What do those of you who sit in the front seat think about the idea? To me it seems like a good idea on the face of it, but I can imagine concerns regarding using consumer grade hardware for what would become flight critical equipment in an emergency.

I see comments elsewhere which raise some interesting points for potential enhancements, some of which are in use already by private pilots:
    • Automatic selection of approach charts based on GPS location
    • Actual position displayed on a approach chart
    • More easily visible in dim lighting

And best of all:

Originally posted by David Flink
    "This is your Captain speaking…we are currently flying at 35,000 feet and I just got four stars on Angry Birds!" http://mashable.com/2011/05/31/alask...-pilots-ipads/

Originally posted by Spectator View Post
    Alaska Airlines has begun a program to phase out printed flight manuals with digital copies carried on an iPad.

What do those of you who sit in the front seat think about the idea? To me it seems like a good idea on the face of it, but I can imagine concerns regarding using consumer grade hardware for what would become flight critical equipment in an emergency.

I see comments elsewhere which raise some interesting points for potential enhancements, some of which are in use already by private pilots:
    • Automatic selection of approach charts based on GPS location
    • Actual position displayed on a approach chart
    • More easily visible in dim lighting

And best of all:
    Well I guess this officially puts the "use of unapproved portable electronic devices may affect navigational systems" myth to rest.

Comment

Today is June 1 not April 1.
      Are you sure this is not a joke?

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
        Well I guess this officially puts the "use of unapproved portable electronic devices may affect navigational systems" myth to rest.
        From the article linked by Spectator:

The iPad is considered a Class 1 electronic device, meaning it is stowed during takeoff and landing under Federal Aviation Administration regulations.
        Now, what that means in actual practice?
        KC-135: Passing gas and taking names!

Comment

Originally posted by Moose135 View Post
          From the article linked by Spectator:

Now, what that means in actual practice?
          Does that mean it is unavailable during those critical aspects of flight?

Comment

First Problem:

The pilots can't use the iPads for internet use due to interference it has caused with Honeywell display units.

Comment

Without judging the question of improvement over paper manuals, I just wonder if the manual on the iPad can be bookmarked. I'm guessing some contents might be more important to find than others. We had online manuals where I worked, and we were bookmarking them all the time for issues that needed to be found in a few seconds. The search feature wasn't that nice, finding too many hits. But once you found the path to something, it did allow the address to be saved into a "favorites" list.

Comment

bump: UA & CO to follow suit

must've been working out fine for Alaska then...

Comment

Working...
                X