This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AJ, keep us posted with the news!

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

Congratulations, AJ. I'd love to see some comments about the differences you see a pilot, once you've riding the Airbusses.

Brian, that Bruce Dickinson testing the A320 video is great! Mainly because of Bruce himself!!
      My photos on Flickr www.flickr.com/photos/geridominguez

Comment

I'm now well into week one with plenty of CBT and FMGS training under my belt.

I'm slowly learning two new languages....Frenglish and Airbus.

Odd setup, I am employed by Qantas, undergoing Airbus A320 training which is being delivered by Boeing in the Ansett Flight Training facility so that I can go to Jetstar!

Comment

Originally posted by AJ View Post
          .........Odd setup, I am employed by Qantas, undergoing Airbus A320 training which is being delivered by Boeing in the Ansett Flight Training facility so that I can go to Jetstar!............

Is the Ansett Flight Training Facility still an Ansett run business or is it simply referred to as such because it used to be Ansett ?

Bloody shame Ansett Airlines went out of business. I recall some very pleasant flights with them.
          Last edited by brianw999; 2012-08-16, 13:34.
          If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Originally posted by AJ View Post
            CBT and FMGS

... Qantas... Airbus A320... Boeing... Ansett... Jetstar
            That's grate, all these names have the same soul:

Airplanes.
            Aviation.
            Airlines.
            ATP.
            Dreams.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

'Ansett Aviation Training' rose from the liquidation of Ansett Australia as it generates profit:

CBT = Computer Based Training. Sitting in front of the computer as various systems are explained. It is self paced.

FMGS training = A simulated Flight Management Guidance Computer (FMGC) allows training on the Flight Management Guidance System (FMGS) via a 'real' MCDU, real 'FCU' and several monitors displaying the flight instrumentation. Like this on a desk top:
              Last edited by AJ; 2012-08-17, 02:02.

Comment

Have you found the "fly" and "land" buttons already

Comment

May I suggest a meeting with Bruce Dickinson ?

If nothing else you should be able to blag some free concert tickets !!!
                  If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Systems exam sat today. First closed-book exam I've had in quite a while!

Two sessions in the simulator so far focussing on FMGS and procedures....one in each sim here at Ansett....both very nice!

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                      Just remember, AJ, these tricks only work in normal law.

The envelope protection is there NOT to use it, but just in case. Pulling up hard just because you know this plane can't stall is not wise. It can stall. Or ask Air France.
                      The key there is knowing the ramifications of the reversion modes instinctively. In Normal Law, it can't stall from excessive AoA (though it can momentarily exceed alpha max).

Congratulations AJ, and welcome to the 21st century. Now what are you going to do with all that excess airmanship?

I'm curious to know if, in your training, they emphasize a deep systems understanding of certain stealth factor issues that may have caused the misfortune of other, less informed Airbus pilots. For example:

- If the A/THR fails, always check the TLA display indications and/or move the levers manually to your desired setting. Unlike the 767, power setting may not be where the levers say it is.

- When you make a selected mode input on the FCU, remember to pull the knob to engage the new setting or it will remain on the FCU display for 45 seconds fooling you into thinking it is set and then quietly revert to the old one.

- If you lose Normal Law protections, you also lose static longitudinal stability.

- seeing as you are flying in that part of the world where strange cosmic things happen, if sudden uncommanded pitch excursions occur you can manually override this by turning off one or more ADIRU's, but you must use both the pushbuttons and the rotary selector switch to insure this.

- if you ever lose speeds and get the ECAM message: "MAX SPEED.......330/.82" it means be careful not to overspeed, not that you are actually approaching overspeed.

...a few helpful lessons fully-rated pilots have taught us the hard way...

Are they teaching these things?

Comment

Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                        I think I've posted this before but what the hell....here it is again.....Try surviving this in a Boeing !!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IKBAB...e_gdata_player
                        AFAIK, in manual flight if you hold the stick to the stop if will bank to 67°; if you then release it, it will roll back to 33°, not wings level. So what is going on here? Reverting to A/P?

(sidestick input is a roll rate command with neutral spiral stability under 33°, so center stick maintains current attitude)

Comment

Originally posted by Evan View Post
                          - If you lose Normal Law protections, you also lose static longitudinal stability.
                          I beg you pardon?

Except at low speed, as part of the slow speed / high AoA protections, and in very high speed as part of the overspeed protection, in the bulk of the envelope the Airbus in normal law is one to two degrees less longitudinally stable than the standard planes (from the J3 to the 777).

In the low-speed range (but not too low) the plane is stable in pitch, and at higher speeds it's stable in load factor / vertical speed, which are respctivelly one and two degrees BELOW what could be called a quasi AoA / speed stability of the "normal" planes. (pitch demand and load factor demand vs AoA demand).

With direct law you'd get the AoA / speed stability back, but not the AoA demand becuase you still have a spring loaded joystic.

In alternate law you get the worse of both worlds: No AoA / speed stability and no low speed / stall protections.

Comment

Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                            In alternate law you get the worse of both worlds: No AoA / speed stability and no low speed / stall protections.
                            Specifically, in Alternate Law:

At the flight envelope limit, the aircraft is not protected, i.e.:
                            - In high speed, natural aircraft static stability is restored with an overspeed warning
                            - In low speed (at a speed threshold that is below VLS), the automatic pitch trim stops and natural longitudinal static stability is restored, with a stall warning at 1.03 VS1G.
                            - In certain failure cases, such as the loss of VS1G computation or the loss of two ADRs, the longitudinal static stability cannot be restored at low speed. In the case of a loss of three ADRs, it cannot be restored at high speed.

Comment

The course is very thorough.

It also teaches us to lock out hijackers, and seeing Evan wants to hijack this thread.......

Comment

Working...
                              X