Aviation brain teasers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
    OK. So far I've worked out that the Piper is travelling at 103.57 mph and the Cessna is travelling at 92.06 mph. The aircraft are 39.13 miles apart and the swallow just copped one hell of a headache !

...and now I'm lost ! Told you I hated maths.

Unless .......... The swallow dies on first impact which means it's not flying, it's just doing an impression of a feathered high speed table tennis ball. Also, swallows can't fly that fast and if it's not flying where did it get the energy to do 300 mph from hitting something that's only doing 103.57 mph ?

So, my answer is..... It's not physically possible. The only place the swallow is going is straight down 5000 feet.
    You forgot to read the word "super" qualifying the swallow, the Piper and the Cessna.

Hint 1: You don't need to convert nautical to statute or kts to MPH to solve this problem, and the maths involved is extremely simple, primary school level, and not even the last years.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
    --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

• Hint 2 - Try this first:

Forget everything about collisions, bouncing, mid-air's and so.

Let's take (almost) the same initial conditions: Piper 5 NM out flying outbound at 90 KTS. Cessna 39 NM out flying inbound at 80 KTS on the same radial but 10 ft lower.

The super-swallow barely misses the Piper and keeps flying at 300 MPH in a straight line on diverging course.

What distance did the super-swallow fly between the time of its near-miss with the Piper and the time of the subsequent near-miss between the Piper and the Cessna (where the swallow is not involved)?

If you can solve this (and it should be very easy to solve it even without converting NM to miles or KTS to MPH), then you can solve the original one with the same minimal Maths knowledge and effort, plus a little bit of epiphany.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

• You are flying a a Cessna 172 at 110 knots TAS and 10,000 feet into a 20 knot headwind. The glide ratio from the POH is 800 feet/mile. The only ariport within 100 miles lies 11 miles ahead. The wires to the starter/ignition switch break.

Will you make it to the airport?

If not, where will you land?

What if there was no headwind?

I ask folks with pilot training to refrain from answering this question.
        Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

• And everyone else asks you to wait for the answer to the current question after which the person who answers it will take their turn...

....unless, Gabriel...are you happy for 3WE to constantly hijack your thread ? If yes then that's fine with me and I will graciously retire to other areas where I am needed and simply provide moderation here if needed.
          Last edited by brianw999; 2014-03-10, 22:17.
          If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

• Originally posted by 3WE View Post
            You are flying a a Cessna 172 at 110 knots TAS and 10,000 feet into a 20 knot headwind. The glide ratio from the POH is 800 feet/mile. The only ariport within 100 miles lies 11 miles ahead. The wires to the starter/ignition switch break.

Will you make it to the airport?

If not, where will you land?

What if there was no headwind?

I ask folks with pilot training to refrain from answering this question.
            1. sure
            2. likely your intended airport
            3. no difference

(assuming the engine was running and the broken switch wires don't act to cut the engine off)

Comment

• Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
              And everyone else asks you to wait for the answer to the current question after which the person who answers it will take their turn...

....unless, Gabriel...are you happy for 3WE to constantly hijack your thread ? If yes then that's fine with me and I will graciously retire to other areas where I am needed and simply provide moderation here if needed.
              LOL...

There was a communication breakdown...I asked Gabe if the thread had stagnated and if it was ok for me to post something...

I THOUGHT he said "yes go ahead".

Don't quit Brian...I quit...there's too many damn rules here.

And Tee Vee- ding- you are correct...the "ignition switch" works backwards- turn on the electricity, you turn off the engine (when "on" it short circuits the ignition so there's no spark)....

So, if the wires break, the switch is already "off" (in the electrical sense), so the engine continues to purr along.

Repeating electrically on = engine off....electrically off, the magnetos make sparks without being shorted out.

Now, I have to decide if I should post Gabriels PM thread where he told me the thread was stagnant and I could post a new question....
              Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

Now, I have to decide if I should post Gabriels PM thread where he told me the thread was stagnant and I could post a new question....
                Only if you post it at full and not just the part that serves your needs!

Anyway, Mr 3WE.

Now that you posted your quiz and TeeVee answered it correctly, you are required to solve my stupid quiz that is too easy.

With that, you win your right to post your quiz (right that you already used) and, since TeeVee already answered it correctly, it will be his turn.

Comment

• Originally posted by Gabriel View Post
                  Anyway, Mr 3WE.

...you are required to solve my stupid quiz that is too easy...
                  Your quiz is not easy...It requires calculus because doing it iteratively, the bird keeps bouncing back and forth in ever increasing frequency with the distance approaching zero.

It's probably not all that hard of calculus- but I'm badly out of practice.

So, after about 15 iterations, I currently have the distance of about 52.13 natuical miles...it's going to be slighlty higher than that...but it's close enough for agricultural work and close enough to be on an ILS at 200 feet AGL...

So there.

Comment

• Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
                    1. sure
                    2. likely your intended airport
                    3. no difference

(assuming the engine was running and the broken switch wires don't act to cut the engine off)
                    All are correct, but #2 is extremely perfect!

Comment

With that, you win your right to post your quiz (right that you already used) and, since TeeVee already answered it correctly, it will be his turn.
                      ...too many damn rules.

Comment

Only if you post it at full and not just the part that serves your needs!

Anyway, Mr 3WE.

Now that you posted your quiz and TeeVee answered it correctly, you are required to solve my stupid quiz that is too easy.

i've been trying to think one up for days and can't come up with squat!

reminds me of a final exam i had back in college. we were required to CREATE an exam and were graded on how well it tested knowledge/understanding of the covered material. one of the hardest final exams of my life.

Comment

Your quiz is not easy...It requires calculus because doing it iteratively, the bird keeps bouncing back and forth in ever increasing frequency with the distance approaching zero.

It's probably not all that hard of calculus- but I'm badly out of practice.

So, after about 15 iterations, I currently have the distance of about 52.13 nautical miles...it's going to be slightly higher than that...but it's close enough for agricultural work and close enough to be on an ILS at 200 feet AGL...

So there.
                          That is what the original wording misleadingly wants to make you think. You can do it that way, but it's not required. No iterations, no conversion of NM and KTS to Miles and MPH, no nothing.

Look:

Tomahawk and Cessna are 34 NM away
                          and flying at a relative speed of 170 KTS ( = 170 NM/H)

Time to crash: 34NM/170NM/H = 34/170 H = 0.2 H

So the question defaults to how much does the swallow flies in 0.2 hours.

300 MPH = 300 Miles/H * 0.2 H = 60 Miles.

Since 60 miles = 52.138 NM, I'll neglect the 0.008 error and rate the result as correct.
                          And since your method is much more complicated but still valid, I'll rate your explanation as correct too.

Congratulations, you are the winner!!!

Do you know what this means? This:

TeeVee, I'm sorry but its your turn. You'll have to come up with something.

Comment

• Originally posted by TeeVee View Post
                            i've been trying to think one up for days and can't come up with squat!
                            How about: "Why does it cost $200 to change a ticket and how in the hell can airlines run warm fuzzy commercials about how much they love to serve thier customers travel needs?"

For the record- this is a suggestion to Tee Vee...there is no intention of this being posted as a new question by me in violation of FAR 121.3.2.4.6.2.3.1 No pilot nor non pilot nor passenger nor non passenger may post on a brain-teaser thread without first answering a question correctly...

Comment

How about: "Why does it cost $200 to change a ticket and how in the hell can airlines run warm fuzzy commercials about how much they love to serve thier customers travel needs?"

For the record- this is a suggestion to Tee Vee...there is no intention of this being posted as a new question by me in violation of FAR 121.3.2.4.6.2.3.1 No pilot nor non pilot nor passenger nor non passenger may post on a brain-teaser thread without first answering a question correctly...
                              yes! i'll go with that one!

Comment

• Originally posted by 3WE....
                                No pilot nor non pilot nor passenger nor non passenger may post on a brain-teaser thread without first answering a question correctly...
                                By George, he's got it !
                                If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

Working...
                                X