No announcement yet.

Aviation brain teasers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Foul! The never exceed speed of a Tomahawk is 138 knots so this could have never happened.

Live, from a grassy knoll somewhere near you.

Comment

• BTW...3WE.

I had a little communication with Gabriel. It seems that you and I actually sing from very similar songsheets in that we are both professionals in non avaition fields, about the same age, have the same cynical view of life and similar sense of humour. Please accept my apology.....

..... but you still need to answer the "live" question first !!!
      If it 'ain't broken........ Don't try to mend it !

Comment

• Originally posted by guamainiac View Post
        Foul! The never exceed speed of a Tomahawk is 138 knots so this could have never happened.

And? The only flying thing that exceeded that speed was the swallow. The Tomahawk was flying at 90 kts.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---
        --- Defend what you say with arguments, not by imposing your credentials ---

Comment

• Originally posted by guamainiac View Post
          Foul! The never exceed speed of a Tomahawk is 138 knots so this could have never happened.

I object to the instantaneous 600 mph velocity change that the Swallow has to make repeatedly...
          Les règles de l'aviation de base découragent de longues périodes de dur tirer vers le haut.

Comment

• two aircraft takeoff from BGI (Barbados) within 90 seconds of each other--a british airways 747-400 headed to LHR and an air canada a319 headed to YUL.

30 minutes after takeoff, the 747 is at FL360 cruising along at 515kn and the a319 is at FL360 zipping along at 505kn. both are approximately 160 miles from BGI.

the following events occur SIMULTANEOUSLY:

1. due to cheap composite construction, the a319 experiences an explosive decompression and two galley carts--one containing 27 lbs. of alcoholic beverages and the other containing 43 lbs of soft drinks--both get sucked out of the aircraft.

2. the 747 which was not maintained properly, experiences a cargo door failure and a cargo container containing 12 cases of Four Square spiced rum gets launched into the ether.

which object will hit the ground first, the booze cart, the soft drink cart or the container of precious rum?

p.s. both pilots managed to recover the aircraft after a zip dive down to FL10 and both land safely at BGI exactly 83 minutes later.

Comment

• The booze cart and the soft drinks cart are the only ones to get to the ground.

At the time of the incident AC to YUL will be over land so the carts will hit the ground. BA to LHR will be over water so the cart will hit water, not the ground.

Comment

• Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                The booze cart and the soft drinks cart are the only ones to get to the ground.

At the time of the incident AC to YUL will be over land so the carts will hit the ground. BA to LHR will be over water so the cart will hit water, not the ground.
                you sure about that?

Comment

• Not sure, no. I didn't use any maths, just guesswork......and your answer leads me to wonder if you have calculated that both aircraft will be over water and therefore none of the carts/containers will fall to earth i.e. the ground.
                  The BA will certainly be over water as BA route directly across the Atlantic and don't make any landfall until they get over Europe.

Comment

• Ok, I'll try the classic answer:

All of them will fall at the same time because they are dropped at the same time from the same altitude.

I hope this is not the right answer.

--- Judge what is said by the merits of what is said, not by the credentials of who said it. ---

Comment

• Originally posted by brianw999 View Post
                      Not sure, no. I didn't use any maths, just guesswork......and your answer leads me to wonder if you have calculated that both aircraft will be over water and therefore none of the carts/containers will fall to earth i.e. the ground.
                      The BA will certainly be over water as BA route directly across the Atlantic and don't make any landfall until they get over Europe.
                      to be fair, since i said approximately, it is possible that the a319 will be over land but i think unlikely. depending on the route, it might be over martinique, in which case you would be correct.

so i'll give you the credit, which means it's now on you to come with something, hopefully better than mine.

Comment

• Open house....

I'm on holiday. Too busy drinking !!

Comment

• A Malaysian Boeing 777 is flying due East over Malaysia at 37000 ft and M 0.8.
                          At the same time another Malaysian Boeing 777 is flying West over Malaysia at 37000 ft and M 0.8 too. There is no wind.

They are almost on the same track but don't worry, they have a lateral separation of a couple of miles so they won't collide.

Both airplanes are identical models, have identical configuration, are in identical condition, have identical weight and center of gravity, are being flown in identical autopilot and autothrottle modes. Even the condition of the paint and the cleanness is identical.

And yet, there is a slight difference in the fuel burn rate.

Which one is burning less fuel and why?

Comment

• What is the date of these flights ?

Comment

• The day of the post. Note the present tense.

Comment

• The aircraft flying East to West due to the Coriolis effect.

Comment

Working...
                                X