Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How does the overall comfort of a 777 compare to that of the Airbus A340-300/500/600

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How does the overall comfort of a 777 compare to that of the Airbus A340-300/500/600

Hi,

I have flown on many Boeing 777s and on several Airbus A340-300s and several newer Airbus A340-500/600s. Just wondering how would you compare the comfort of the aircraft (seat config, seat pitch, seat width, overhead bin space, noise, etc.)

Note: This is not an Airbus fans vs. Boeing fans thread, I just want to know which aircraft in general most people prefer.

Given a choice, I would definately take a Boeing 777 over an Airbus A340, as the overall comfort of the plane is much more and the Boeing 777s powered by the RR and PW engines are just as quiet as the Airbus A340-500/600. However, though I would have to agree that the GE90 engined 777s are really loud, so on an extremely long flight (over 10 hours) that might affect my decision.

Here are my choices:

Boeing 777-200ER over Airbus 340-300
    Boeing 777-200ER/LR over Airbus A340-500
    Boeing 777-300ER tie Airbus A340-600
    What are your thoughts,

Rohan

Its all the same, boeing and airbus do not make their own seats so really there is no way to really compare the two.

The airlines are the ones who ultimately decide which seats, and how many will go in the planes.

Comment

With the 777s pivot overhead bins the 777 has and feels more spacious. Engine noise is about the same. Newer A340/A330s feel more spacious with more curved overhead bins.

Comment

Depends on the airline.

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
          The airlines are the ones who ultimately decide which seats, and how many will go in the planes.
          Indeed, it's all up to the airlines and their layout wishes. The only things where each has an advantage are the 777's larger overhead bins and the A340's 2-4-2 layout compared to the 3-3-3 or 2-5-2 layout on the 777.

Comment

Well...seeing as the airlines pick the seats, it comes down to the airline, not the aircraft.
            sigpic
            http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

I'm not that picky, I don't say it's depends on the airline, as there's too many bigger things to worry about than about what airline or what aircraft is being operated on the flight. And btw spacious or not spacious, cause in the end the aircraft will get you there at your destination anyway..
              Inactive from May 1 2009.

Comment

All depends on the airline. But if it gets me there I really don't care.

-Chris

Comment

Overall I prefer the 777 but I like the A346, in general as a plane. Also, most new 777s are now coming with a 3-3-3 configuration, but I like having 2 - x - 2 on the A346 for long haul.

Comment

comfort really depends on airline, like everyone said, like 3-3-3- or 3-4-3 seating, or are u talking about engine noise comfort? t/o, landing?

yes i am a boeing fan, and i know thats a airbus, haha

Comment

Hi,

I was actually refering to the total comfort: engine noise, seating arrangements, seat pitch, cabin design, etc. I would have to agree that the airline has a huge effect on these factors, but I still think the plane makes a difference. I really like both of these aircraft, but I like the Boeing 777 slightly better. Also, I think the Boeing 777s take-offs are more powerful and the landings are slightly smoother, but these also depend heavily on the pilot.

Rohan

Comment

Never been on the 777 but the A-340's Lan Chile operate must be about as comfortable as air travel can get. Just superb, complete with Satellite phones etc. I've had 2 flights on these, AKL-SCL and SCL-EZE.

Flew on an older Iberian A-340 from GIG-MAD, also a very comfortable flight but mainly because I was just about the only one on it and was given unlimited "help yourself" access to the bar. The aircraft itself was not comparable with those operated by LAN.

In the same class the IL-86's operated by Krasair are also surprisingly comfortable, although obviously much noisier than an A340.

Comment

Seating arrangements, seat pitch, and cabin design are for the most part airline specific. Engine noise however may vary.
                          sigpic
                          http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Working...
                          X