Help!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Help!

Please, before I turn on my $800 investment and decide to chunk my camera off a bridge.

What is going wrong here? This image was shot in RAW, no noise reduction, F10 at 1/500, ISO 100. Image menu set to Vivid, AF-C, AF Area = Closest Subject, Noise Reduction = Off.

I understand 105 degree and humid weather is not the best situation (my UV filter hasn't arrived yet)

But I really expected better results even without a filter on.

Here is what I've got so far.

Most all of my shots (even if exposed correctly as I realize this shot is overexposed a bit) carry the same problems. Noisy colors and soft.

I was tracking the planes all the way in and panned right with them the whole time. I don't understand how I got soft images.

Maybe next time I should kick it up to ISO 200 and speed up the shutter to 1/1000 or so?

I'm definitely far from giving up, but the shots from this afternoon are pretty discouraging considering the amount I just invested in this camera.

I've though possibly of returning the Nikon unit for a Pentax unit with the 11 pt focus system...maybe this would sharpen up the photos a bit?

My first question is, have you been doing any sort of post processing on your images? Raw images will always be soft. You will soon learn this is a good thing regardless as it gives you more creative control over your photo.
    With respect to the filter, I really, really, do not want to drag this debate back from the dead for the nine billionth time, but DSLRs have sensor coatings that effectively negate the need for UV filters. Apply your lens hood if you are looking for a means of combating extraneous light hitting the front element.
    Hopefully someone better versed in explaining things than I can clear up your autofocus confusion.
    Don't toss your lovely Nikon gear off a bridge just yet, there are plenty of us Nikonians here to help you,

-Bernie
    Last edited by Powercube; 2008-08-04, 04:03.

Comment

Originally posted by Powercube
      My first question is, have you been doing any sort of post processing on your images? Raw images will always be soft. You will soon learn this is a good thing regardless as it gives you more creative control over your photo.
      With respect to the filter, I really, really, do not want to drag this debate back from the dead for the nine billionth time, but DSLRs have sensor coatings that effectively negate the need for UV filters. Apply your lens hood if you are looking for a means of combating extraneous light hitting the front element.
      Hopefully someone better versed in explaining things than I can clear up your autofocus confusion.
      Don't toss your lovely Nikon gear off a bridge just yet, there are plenty of us Nikonians here to help you,

-Bernie
      That shot was sharpened and edited in the brightness/contrast menu to adjust for slight overexposure.

Sharpened almost 50% and it still looks kind of soft to me.

Comment

Originally posted by 03SVTCobra
        That shot was sharpened and edited in the brightness/contrast menu to adjust for slight overexposure.

Sharpened almost 50% and it still looks kind of soft to me.
        What style of sharpening are you using/ is this in Photoshop? If it is, might I suggest you check out the Jid workflow it was created by a JP crew member and is very informative.

Comment

You do want to set colours to normal, not vivid.

Comment

Originally posted by Powercube
            My first question is, have you been doing any sort of post processing on your images? Raw images will always be soft.
            I must be doing something wrong...mine aren't soft.
            Tanner Johnson - Owner
            twenty53 Photography

Comment

There's a difference between "OW MY EYES!" soft and "Hey, this could use a little bit of sharpening". I didn't think it was relevant at that moment, but if you're getting RAW files that you can go straight from the card to the client/JP- more power to you.

Edit: Did you "Hotrod" your body?
              Last edited by Powercube; 2008-08-04, 06:10.

Comment

Ok I followed some editorials on that page you linked me.

How does this look?

Comment

First of all i would set the Focus point to a fixed point instead of closest subject. Next set the all of the bells and whistles to off or neutral I.E sharpening, image mode Etc. I have found that on my Nikons on a sunny day i set the EV to -0.7 to help in controlling the blown out highlights in the image.

In Photoshop you can start to make adjustments in Camera Raw. Do not use the camera to make adjustments to your images. A neutral well exsposed image will result in better images in Photoshop. If you butcher the image in the camera you have lost the flexability the computer offers you in processing.

Relax keep trying out different settings on your Nikon and you will find a sweet spot that will reward you with fantastic images.
                  Robin Guess Aviation Historian, Photographer, Web Designer.

http://www.Jet-Fighters.Net
                  http://www.Jet-Liners.Net

Comment

Originally posted by Jet-fighters.Net
                    First of all i would set the Focus point to a fixed point instead of closest subject. Next set the all of the bells and whistles to off or neutral I.E sharpening, image mode Etc. I have found that on my Nikons on a sunny day i set the EV to -0.7 to help in controlling the blown out highlights in the image.

In Photoshop you can start to make adjustments in Camera Raw. Do not use the camera to make adjustments to your images. A neutral well exsposed image will result in better images in Photoshop. If you butcher the image in the camera you have lost the flexability the computer offers you in processing.

Relax keep trying out different settings on your Nikon and you will find a sweet spot that will reward you with fantastic images.
                    Not sure how you mean buy one single focus point. The picture next to the setting I chose depicted a motorcycle rider in focus and the background blurred. So I figured that would be the best setting to go with.

Comment

While i dont know the exact setting on the D60 to set it to a fixed focus point on the D80 and D300 you can use a dial on the back to set the type of focus point. What you want to use is the focus point set right in the middle of the view finder and put that point on the center of the aircraft and let the body do the rest.

With Closest point focusing it will select the area closest to the camera and focus in on that area. so you might be focusing on the nose of the aircraft or a tree that is off to the side or below the aircraft. look in your owners manual about focus types and focus points as a starting point.

What i am really trying to say is with all of the automatic features that the camera offers about the only thing i will let it do is autofocus and image metering and i will even set the camera to where i have some control over those functions.

Comment

Originally posted by Jet-fighters.Net
                        While i dont know the exact setting on the D60 to set it to a fixed focus point on the D80 and D300 you can use a dial on the back to set the type of focus point. What you want to use is the focus point set right in the middle of the view finder and put that point on the center of the aircraft and let the body do the rest.

With Closest point focusing it will select the area closest to the camera and focus in on that area. so you might be focusing on the nose of the aircraft or a tree that is off to the side or below the aircraft. look in your owners manual about focus types and focus points as a starting point.

What i am really trying to say is with all of the automatic features that the camera offers about the only thing i will let it do is autofocus and image metering and i will even set the camera to where i have some control over those functions.
                        I see what you're saying now. Do you recommend leaving the Active D-Lighting on? A lot of people have stressed the appreciation of that feature on this camera.

Comment

I myself am not a big fan of the D-Lighting feature but what i would suggest is to try a group of shots with it off and a group with it on the same day and see what results suit you best.

For myself i get better results in Capture NX or Camera Raw.

Comment

Ok I went to KDFW today.

How do these shots look? I think I may need a longer lens. As I just don't get enough detail from a long distance out with the 55-200 VR. Especially at KDFW when I can't get within a half mile of the runway.

Comment

In my opinion every shot except the SWA looks blurry/soft

On the 55-200mm it can be a result of long zoom up to 200, or an switched on VR. When you use shutter speed above 1/320 sec, switch of the VR, it won't will help you. I made the experience, that the VR "helped" in making the pics blurry. Especially whilst trying to catch a fast take off or landing. Try ISO200, its better in worst light conditions such as the alaska 737. I personally would recommend a light correctin of +0,3 whenever and especially in bad light +0,7 or +1,0.

Comment

Working...
                              X