Why are passenger jets so expensive?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why are passenger jets so expensive?

I am really annoyed about the price of plastic kitset passenger jets these days, I saw a 1:144 ANA Boeing 777 for NZD$99.00 (roughly USD$45) but I don't want to buy it cos it doesn't seem good value, yet military planes and helicopters are so damn cheap (although it is a smaller scale) they are more complex. Anyone know of good online shops that are cheap?

My first guess is the label of the airline, have to pay them so you can have their decals. Greedy bastards they should be satisfied with the publicity, you can get a few good deals though (1:144 737-300 American Airlines NZ $25)
    Sam Rudge
    A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

If this is more or less the same as in the slide and pic business, my idea is related to the popularity of
      1- types, especially in major airlines c/s either standard or specials.
      A proof for me is the overpopulation of widebodies in everybody's catalogue, while early jets and propeliners are (REGREATFULLY) to be looked for in rareties and curiosities !
      Alain
      Thanks for visiting
      *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
      *JetPhotos*
      Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

I wouldn't mind finding an ATR 72 model. And why would I want a 737 at 1:144 scale? I don't particularly like them but yes I agree the airlines shouldn't be such bitches cos they know not many people would buy it if their logo wasn't on it.

Comment

I wouldn't mind finding an ATR 72 model. And why would I want a 737 at 1:144 scale? I don't particularly like them but yes I agree the airlines shouldn't be such bastards but they know not many people would buy it if their logo wasn't on it.

Comment

Since there is not a lot of demand for airliner models, companies can charge whatever they want because they know that you can't go down to the hobby shop (or even Wal-Mart) down the street and buy it like you can an F-16 or '57 Chevy model. I used to build them but quit because I damaged several of my models in two moves in a 6 month period, so I started buying more die cast or snap together a/c, as they can be safely stored for moving or taken apart. Plus the plastic snap together models are of a heavier duty plastic (at the expense of a/c details).

Comment

Working...
            X