Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1 of 8 photos accepted

Hello fellow photographers,
    Last night I spent one hour scanning and uploading eight photos for screening to the jetphotos.net site, only to log on this morning to find that seven have been rejected when I felt that all eight were worthy of acceptance to the database.

Here are some links to the photos that were rejected: I would appreciate it if some people could come forwards and provide some solutions to make these photos better.

JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Thanks for all advice given,

M. Nicol (Photo contributer to Jetphotos.net)
    Regards,
    M. Nicol (JetPhotos.net Photographer...)
    <a href="http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1395">Click Here To
    View My Aircraft Pictures On JP.Net!</a>

Mark,
    They are all actually pretty grainy. It appears they were scanned from prints? And you cut the nose off the 18! That is a no-no.

I would try scanning them again at a much higher resolution, and then resizing them, don't mess around with the contrast control too much either as that will exaggerate the noise.

Comment

JeffM
      That FA18 shot was originally taken with the nose cut off, it was not cropped off by me in photoshop...I scan from prints cause I dont think my scanner (HP scanjet 2300c) can scan from negatives.
      Regards,

Comment

Mark,

Don't cut the nose off your planes if you want them in the database! Can't make that any simpler. If your scanning prints, then you need to eliminate the grain as I mentioned, or scan the negatives.

Comment

May this help you?

Comment

Let me comment you on the third shot....what's up with that dude sticking his butt out?

Comment

Didn't notice that the first time.
              "The Director also sets the record straight on what would happen if oxygen masks were to drop from the ceiling: The passengers freak out with abandon, instead of continuing to chat amiably, as though lunch were being served, like they do on those in-flight safety videos."

-- The LA Times, in a review of 'Flightplan'

Comment

Mark, it is difficult to judge if we can not see the original prints, but basically all scans are very grainy, so I guess you have scanned them at the original size the prints are. Try to scan them as large as possible, i.e.3000 x 2000. Then crop properly to have the thingy in the centre, rotate where necessary to make them level, and then sharpen cautiously. That should work for the Qantas A.330, the Emirates 777 and also the Hawk. Play with the contrast if the Hawk is still a bit bright.

My personal view is that the the FA18 is not overexposed, it is a classical shot into the sun, and I like this type of shot. But it's the nose which is cut off that ruins the picture. Probably extreme wide-angle, and still too big to get, that bird.

Hope that helps, give it another try, I like the landing Qantas A330 and hope it will make it to the database.

Regards,
                Peter

Comment

Have a look at this:

ZK-NGE. Boeing 737-3U3. JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

This is a scanned print, initially scanned at 400dpi giving a file size of about 2.4mb. I then ran it through Photoshop and resized it to 1024x751 after cropping it slightly. The final touch was to use the unsharp mask to make it look sharper. That's about it really.

Hope this helps.....Matt
                  My gallery of transport and travel pictures.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Comment

Where you by any chance using a 400ASA film; the high grain levels and a general lack of crispness in the pics seem to point in that direction? Did you sharpen the scans before uploading? You should be able to get good scans from that scanner (all my pics here are scanned 10x15 cm glossy (important!) prints), but I would advise not to use more than 200ASA film (who needs a light-sensitive film in Australia anyway?).
                    Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Mark

Out of interest what film were you shooting with,what camera and lens are you using and which software are you using to touch them up when you scan this may help other photags with their advice to you.
                      Cheers
                      John H

Comment

guys,
                        thank you very much for all the advice.. Reach I normally shot with Kodak 200 ASA. But after speaking with James Evans (brisbane contributer to the site) I have started using FUJI 100 ASA and yet to see the results though Fuji 100 is suppose to be very good. I will get results next sunday as next saturday (12th april) i will be shooting photos all day at YSSY international. SYDNEY intl !!!

Mark N
                        Regards,

Comment

Working...
                        X