Collapse
No announcement yet.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Okay, I am COMPLETELY new to aviation photography and I haven't a clue where to start. All I know is you need a computer and a camera. Could anyone give me suggestions on where to start i.e. what camera/film/etc. Thanks!

CheckSix
    CheckSix

Equipment: A camera (who gives a rip about the brand?)

Hello, and welcome to this place. How about starting at an airport with some aircraft ?

Seriously, you only need a computer if you have a digital camera. If not you have to get yourself clear whether you want to shoot prints, or slides. There is no general recipie as what film/camera to take, it depends on your likes and dislikes, and what do you want to do with your photos.

Let us have a little bit more information about what you are planning to do, then we can certainly give some tips.

Regards,
    Peter

Comment

Basically I will be at SEA and my local airport. I don't know what type of camera to get (digital or regular). I have heard the digital is better for close ups and regular for long range with the big lenses. Is that enough?
      CheckSix

Comment

P.S. I basically want to make prints (regular paper size if possible) and put them on the internet.
        CheckSix

Comment

To answer your question on buying a digital camera vs buying a regular film camera, I would suggest going the route of a good 35mm SLR camera. High quality digital cameras are still expensive, especially when you compare prices with a good quality 35mm SLR camera. A good quality scanner for scanning in prints also isn't very expensive.

Most of my photos on this site have been taken with a Nikon N80 and I would consider this camera to be a good SLR camera at a reasonable price.

I hope this information will be of some help with the camera decision.

Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!
          Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

CheckSix,

Well.........Let me start by giving you a big SEA welcome to the Jetphoto.net, I to am a SEA spotter.

Yes a good 35mm would make a good affordable start for you but remeber you will have to buy film, pay for processing, take time to scan and munipulte the images....simply put a roll of 36 exposure Kodachrome will cost probably $12.00 at least last time I checked(10 years ago). You still will need a PC to do your scanning with...renting a PC at Kinkos would add up quickly.

You can get a adequet PC from Dell right now for $499.00 or head on down to Federal Way to Infotech...they have PCs starting at around $600.00 monitor included.

About a digital camera which I would reccomend you might start by looking at the Fuji S-602...they are going for $500.00 - $650.00 on the internet. I use the 602 and am getting better results the more I use it.

So it looks like for around $1100.00 you would be cooking them out.

Perhaps sometime we could get together Ill show you some nice place or maybe you have better ones....SEA police is kinda on edge these days however I have a letter to photograph on 154th and 188th....I have found a great place up by the Boeing warehouse on 146th to shoot from. Id be proud to shoot with someone who likes Shawn Hannity.

Take a look at some of my work.......

JetPhotos.com is the biggest database of aviation photographs with over 5 million screened photos online!

Again,Welcome

Randy

Comment

To All: Thanks for the info.

Originally posted by rsmith6621a
              CheckSix,

Well.........Let me start by giving you a big SEA welcome to the Jetphoto.net, I to am a SEA spotter.
              Thanks!!

You can get a adequet PC from Dell right now for $499.00 or head on down to Federal Way to Infotech...they have PCs starting at around $600.00 monitor included.
              I am currently looking at a notebook. Thanks for the tip though.

About a digital camera which I would reccomend you might start by looking at the Fuji S-602...they are going for $500.00 - $650.00 on the internet. I use the 602 and am getting better results the more I use it.
              I think I'll be going SLR for the time being.

Perhaps sometime we could get together Ill show you some nice place or maybe you have better ones....SEA police is kinda on edge these days however I have a letter to photograph on 154th and 188th....I have found a great place up by the Boeing warehouse on 146th to shoot from.
              I don't get over to SEA as much as I like to, however when I do I try to make it up to SEA as much as possible.

Id be proud to shoot with someone who likes Shawn Hannity.

[/quote]
              CheckSix

Comment

CheckSix, if your buying a notebook for doing imagining and av. photography or gaming forget it.
                Legia Warszawa - Duma Stolicy Polski
                Sail the Smooth Skies to ORD with the 767-300ER

Photos: http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=5
                http://www.jetphotos.net/members/viewprofile.php?id=5

Comment

CheckSix, if your buying a notebook for doing imagining and av. photography or gaming forget it.
                  How so? The new Centrinos are a heck of a lot faster than P4s and they are optimized for mobile use. I have read that notebooks are perfectly cable of putting pictures on and then doing not so heavy digital imaging. Hey AOE 2 is a very machine demanding game! [/b]
                  CheckSix

Comment

It's not the processor that is the problem, it's the TFT screen. For working with and on photos, a good old CRT monster is still the best. Yes I know they eat up a lot of space on your desk, but they are the best, and very cheap nowadays.

Regards,
                    Peter

Comment

Spot on Aerpix!

I bought a Sony Vaio recently and in general I'm very happy with it but there is no way I can edit aviation pictures on it, it's okay for holiday pictures etc but the aviation stuff is all done on my desktop PC.

Matt
                      My gallery of transport and travel pictures.

Click Here to view my photos at RailPictures.Net!

Comment

Huh, well mabye I ought to look into a desktop. Hmmm... Well, back to the camera question. Does anyone have one of the Rebel (Canon) SLRs?
                        CheckSix

Comment

Working...
                        X