X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HK, France sign breakthrough air services agreement

Code-share deal with France breakthrough
    Foster Wong

The Hong Kong government has reached a breakthrough air services arrangement with the French administration, under which airlines may enter into code-sharing with surface transportation providers.

It is the first time that inter-modal code-sharing has been provided for under Hong Kong's air services arrangements.

Specifically, the government said, Cathay Pacific Airways may put its airline codes on the French high speed trains, SNCF, to 10 cities in France.

It said the new arrangement also provides opportunity for airlines of both sides to introduce code-share services to Tahiti and Noumea, key tourist destinations in French Pacific territories.

Capacity for freighter services has also been expanded for the market demand, it said.

``Inter-modal code-sharing will put a new dimension to our air services by providing on-line connection between scheduled air services and the massive train network to 10 major popular cities in France, forward connection to the vast of continental Europe,'' Deputy Secretary for Economic Development and Labour Wilson Fung said.

``This will provide a major boost to the tourism industry between Hong Kong and France. The new service mode can enhance the network of the Hong Kong International Airport by making use of train services.''

He said he hoped that airlines would make good use of the new code-share routes soon to launch services between Hong Kong and the French Pacific Territories, Tahiti and Noumea.
    From The Standard

What really interested me was the last part, which mentions flights to PPT and NOU. Currently no routes exist between HKG and the territories of New Caledonia and French Polynesia. AFAIK, AF flies to NOU via NRT, while it operates to PPT through LAX. I honestly wonder how a codeshare would work.

Just out of general interest, HKG-PPT is 6147nm and HKG-NOU is 4048nm (both by GCM).

Cathay Pacific - The Heart of Asia

Re: HK, France sign breakthrough air services agreement

Originally posted by Asian Brushstroke
    What really interested me was the last part, which mentions flights to PPT and NOU. Currently no routes exist between HKG and the territories of New Caledonia and French Polynesia. AFAIK, AF flies to NOU via NRT, while it operates to PPT through LAX. I honestly wonder how a codeshare would work.
    Think Air Tahiti Nui and Air Calin. They both operate to KIX and NRT already so they may be interested in flying say 2/weekly to HKG. Their respective A340-300 and A330-200 are ideal for such operation.
    Next:
    None Planned

Comment

I'd love to see TN here!

Do you think another option could be CX flying HKG-AKL-PPT/NOU? I know it sounds slightly odd, but it's surely possible.

Comment

Originally posted by Asian Brushstroke
        I'd love to see TN here!

Do you think another option could be CX flying HKG-AKL-PPT/NOU? I know it sounds slightly odd, but it's surely possible.
        HKG-AKL-NOU/PPT is a long shot. If CX is to dispatch their new planes to new routes, there are many more profitable routes (to name a few, and apart from routes to China, HKG-MUC, HKG-ORD, HKG-SEA, HKG-DFW, HKG-MAA, etc.) before going PPT or NOU.

But it is possible that TN will start HKG and CX will codeshare on it. One thing that no many people know is that 12% of residents in Tahiti are Chinese, making Chinese the largest minority there (even more Chinese than French). There are about 30000 Chinese living in Tahiti and a 2/weekly or 3/weekly service to HKG from PPT would really make sense.
        Next:
        None Planned

Comment

That is a long way. However, they can stopover then continue to route to PPT and NOU.

Did AF 744 flew to PPT from Paris non-stop or 2-stops?

Comment

Originally posted by pbateson
            That is a long way. However, they can stopover then continue to route to PPT and NOU.

Did AF 744 flew to PPT from Paris non-stop or 2-stops?
            CDG-PPT is via LAX by TN and AF. CDG-NOU is via NRT by AF.

HKG-PPT is 11385km (for reference: HKG-LAX is 11684km).
            Next:
            None Planned

Comment

Originally posted by CathayPacific
              One thing that no many people know is that 12% of residents in Tahiti are Chinese, making Chinese the largest minority there (even more Chinese than French). There are about 30000 Chinese living in Tahiti and a 2/weekly or 3/weekly service to HKG from PPT would really make sense.
              Wow, I didn't know that!

I'm also guessing that TN would most likely target the Mainland outbound tourism market as well as HK's if they do eventually fly here.

Comment

Working...
              X