Boeing: 777-200LR Capable of Flying LHR-SYD NONSTOP

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Boeing: 777-200LR Capable of Flying LHR-SYD NONSTOP

Boeing released some more performance figures for the 777-200LR. Based on 300 passengers and bags and full reserves and cargo in a worst-case winter wind scenario, the company said the aircraft is capable of flying from New York to Auckland in 17.8 hr., New York to Singapore in 18.2 hr., London to Perth in 16.2 hr. and London to Sydney in 19.3 hr. According to Boeing officials, the 777-200LR can perform the Sydney-London route with a reduced passenger count.
    Next:
    None Planned

only problem....

...what good does that do QF, BA?

To fly a reduced-capacity aircraft and still make money would require a primarily-premium seating configuration; which would do nothing but trash the yields on the existing 1stop service.
    Us, lighting a living horse on fire:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH2_Q3oJPeU

Check it out!

Comment

Originally posted by ConcordeBoy
      only problem....

To fly a reduced-capacity aircraft and still make money would require a primarily-premium seating configuration; which would do nothing but trash the yields on the existing 1stop service.

Well what if one of them offered the service before the other?
      Van Hoolio's JP.net Photos
      lp.org

Comment

Ah the A. vs B. war... I swear it's all about measuring their pricks. It's even written on the side of their planes.

A340-600 at Farnborough
        [photoid=337861]
        Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

They can pull a SQ and offer premium econ and biz class on the 772LR for LON-SYD flights. Anyone know what the loads are for SQ's a345 flights?

Comment

I doubt this would excite the QF and BA officials because it defeats the purpose of their LR aircraft. Maybe the B772LR is good for the LHR-PER route or KUL-LAX or KUL-YVR sectors.

Malaysia Airlines --> Going Beyond Expectation

Best Cabin Staff 2004
            Best Cabin Staff 2003
            Best Cabin Staff 2002
            Best Cabin Staff 2001

www.airlinequality.com

Comment

Originally posted by billiam
              They can pull a SQ and offer premium econ and biz class on the 772LR for LON-SYD flights. Anyone know what the loads are for SQ's a345 flights?
              Raffles Class : 64 (64")
              Executive Economy Class : 117 (37")
              Alitalia > Always Late In Take-off Always Late In Arrival
              American Airlines > Always Awful
              PAL - phillippine airlines > Plane Always Late
              BWIA > But Will It Arrives
              CAAC > Crash All Around China / Chinese Airliners Always Crash
              JAL - Japan Airlines > Just Another Loser
              QANTAS > Quick And Nasty Transport Australian Style
              TWA - Trans World Airlines > Terrorist Welcome Aboard / The Worst Airline
              UTA > Unlikely To Arrive
              MAS - Malaysia Airlines > Money And Sex
              SIA - Singapore Airlines > Stupid Idiots Aboard
              Aufganza m´nt´dok orija zuedkaj upps'shaff f´nstrok d´r dcuber sakundar.

Comment

Who in their right mind would want to spend that much time non-stop on an airplane in economy? Maybe its just me being 6'3.

Comment

Originally posted by MAS
                  I doubt this would excite the QF and BA officials because it defeats the purpose of their LR aircraft. Maybe the B772LR is good for the LHR-PER route or KUL-LAX or KUL-YVR sectors.

Hmm, well, i think BA will soon order it & the bird will only has New Club World (or may be a brand new Club World flat-bed) & World Traveller Plus .
                  Alitalia > Always Late In Take-off Always Late In Arrival
                  American Airlines > Always Awful
                  PAL - phillippine airlines > Plane Always Late
                  BWIA > But Will It Arrives
                  CAAC > Crash All Around China / Chinese Airliners Always Crash
                  JAL - Japan Airlines > Just Another Loser
                  QANTAS > Quick And Nasty Transport Australian Style
                  TWA - Trans World Airlines > Terrorist Welcome Aboard / The Worst Airline
                  UTA > Unlikely To Arrive
                  MAS - Malaysia Airlines > Money And Sex
                  SIA - Singapore Airlines > Stupid Idiots Aboard
                  Aufganza m´nt´dok orija zuedkaj upps'shaff f´nstrok d´r dcuber sakundar.

Comment

only problem....

Well, if SQ doesn't have that problem with its SIN-FRA-JFK and SIN-NRT-LAX service when introducing SIN-LAX and SIN-EWR, why would QF and BA have that problem?

SYD-SIN and SIN-LHR are large markets by themselves. The yield of SYD-SIN-LHR service may be lowered by the introduction of SYD-LHR premium non-stop service, but overall yield (two routes counted together) should be higher, because first class passengers now flying SQ or MH or CX between LHR and SYD will now consider going for the non-stop service that only BA and QF (and possibly VS in future) can offer. SE Asian carriers cannot compete with the non-stop service, so the airlines got hurt are those, not BA or QF.

Besides, SIN is a mini-hub for QANTAS for Australia-Europe service. Many passengers from the QF's LHR-SIN flight may be switching to other QF flights onward to Adelaide, Melbourne, Brisbane, etc. anyway. Those passengers will continue taking the LHR-SIN flight, not affected by the SYD non-stop service.
                    Next:
                    None Planned

Comment

Boeing: 777-200LR Capable of Flying LHR-SYD NONSTOP

BA and/or QF could easily pull an SQ on a LHR-SYD flight. As already said, both LHR and SYD are huge markets, and QF has a large presence at SIN, which will still be intact after the opening of a LHR-SYD flight. BA and QF already operate several daily (full) 744s on the Kangaroo route, so one or twon 772LRs each way shouldn't really reduce flights through SIN. The 772LR of course also has the advantage that it has a wider fuselage than the A345, so BA/QF could offer the same level of service that SQ offers but with more seats, or with even more service than SQ. I'm quite confident that there are enough businessmen out there that would like to avoid the 2-3 hour stopover at SIN and pay for a faster nonstop flight.

-Colin

Comment

They would have to pay me to fly for that long as a passenger..If they do that I think the red cross should get involved for inhumane treatment of people. There'll be DVT all over the place.

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
                          They would have to pay me to fly for that long as a passenger..If they do that I think the red cross should get involved for inhumane treatment of people. There'll be DVT all over the place.
                          It's just 19hrs. If you look at the long range flights currently with a technical stop-over in which passengers are not allowed to disembark, some of them are over 19hrs already.

Those flights, in essence, are no different than a 19hrs non-stop flight. If the passengers are not allowed to leave the plane, then it is the same for them whether the plane is on the ground or in the air.
                          Next:
                          None Planned

Comment

Originally posted by CathayPacific
                            Well, if SQ doesn't have that problem with its SIN-FRA-JFK and SIN-NRT-LAX service when introducing SIN-LAX and SIN-EWR, why would QF and BA have that problem?
                            An anecdotal comparison at best...

...first off, we don't know if SQ's gamble has/will prove benefitial to them (and probably wont for the next 18mo-3yrs).

What I do know, is that BA/QF are generally much more conservative airlines than is SQ. Hence my statement.
                            Us, lighting a living horse on fire:
                            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH2_Q3oJPeU

Check it out!

Comment

What I do know, is that BA/QF are generally much more conservative airlines than is SQ. Hence my statement.
                              I don't think that's a question of being conservative or not. BA and QF have flown the route for a long time. If they are clever, they would have kept the passenger information for say the last 10 years. And now they would be able to perform all sorts of analysis besides the obvious ones such as yields and loads: such as trends, seasonal differences, down to the flying habits of individual frequent flyers.

One may think that much of the information is trivial. But a lot of surprising results can be found after doing an in-depth analysis. So at the end of the day, it's the question of QF and BA making an informed decision whether to fly the route non-stop. If they have collected the correct data and done the analysis right, a business projection can be made fairly accurately. And a decision can be comfortably made upon that.

I do agree that not many people and business know how to collect useful data and perform analysis right though. We will need to wait and see if BA, QF and SQ have done their homeworks.
                              Next:
                              None Planned

Comment

Working...
                              X