To Olympus C7xx series users

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• To Olympus C7xx series users

I'm fairly new to digital photography. I have an Olympus C740, 3.2 mp, and I am having trouble with it. I cannot get sharp photos at any resolution higher than 1024 x 768 pixels. At this resolution it works fine, but at higher resolutions photos get fuzzy and lose detail. To show what I mean, here's a comparison of segments from two shots at 1024 x 768 and 2048 x 1536. This is the segment from the 1024 x 768 shot:

This is the segment from the 2048 x 1536 shot. I zoomed back for this one to keep the subject at a roughly comparable size:

Needless to say, shooting at 1024 x 768 means I have little room to correct framing or horizon errors. Lucky for me that j.net's minimum size is 800 x 600.

Am I doing something wrong? Could it be a fault in the camera? Has anyone had a similar problem with Olympus machines? Grateful for advice.

You will get a very good picture if you resize the 2048x1536 image down to 1024x768. From my experience, images at 2048x1536 usually don't look good (soft, noisy, chromatic aberration). I always shoot SHQ or HQ and resize the image down to 1024x768. Btw, you should be able to get a decent picture if you resize the image down to 1600x1200.
    Click Here for my aviation photographs.
    No Frontiers

Comment

With no processing, the 1024x768 image will come out fine, where as the 2048x1536 will look soft, however, resizing the 2048x1536 image to 1024x768 would make it look better than when shooting at 1024 wide(hope you understood that). Shooting at a higher resolution also allows a few hundred pixels cropping space.
      Sam Rudge
      A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

Thanks

Many thanks b777 and Simpleboy for your replies. I see I shouldn't expect too much from higher resolutions. But what's happening with my camera is that shots on 2048 resized to 1024 turn out worse than shots taken on the latter resolution. Reducing 2048s to 1600 x 1200 is a no-hoper. Maybe I should have the camera looked at. I'm having other problems, namely losing all my settings when changing batteries even though the camera is set to remember them and it spends all of a minute battery-less.

Comment

Re: Thanks

Originally posted by kukkudrill
          Many thanks b777 and Simpleboy for your replies. I see I shouldn't expect too much from higher resolutions. But what's happening with my camera is that shots on 2048 resized to 1024 turn out worse than shots taken on the latter resolution. Reducing 2048s to 1600 x 1200 is a no-hoper. Maybe I should have the camera looked at. I'm having other problems, namely losing all my settings when changing batteries even though the camera is set to remember them and it spends all of a minute battery-less.
          No problem. I don't have any problems resizing the pictures from a higher resolution. They usually look a lot better. Good luck getting your camera looked at.
          Click Here for my aviation photographs.
          No Frontiers

Comment

Working...
          X