Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Chances of becoming a jet pilot with no college degree?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chances of becoming a jet pilot with no college degree?

With a high school diploma, if I go to flight school and graduate, but don't go to college, what are my chances of being hired as an airline pilot, small jet pilot, or a cargo pilot? I've heard that "in the real world of aviation, not having a college degree won't hurt you", but it is better to go to college, but still, I might have a chance without college.

I have heard it is extremely difficult, or nearly impossible.
    You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Comment

Like N9103M said,

Its a lot harder to get hired by an airline without a degree of somesort, doesnt have to be aviation related, but if you have a degree it shows some sort of good responsibility, I believe some airlines do require a degree, i THINK NW, CO, and AA do, not sure about the others, the regionals may not require those, however, if you try to move up to a major that requires a degree then your out of luck.

Comment

A while back when the airlines had a pilot shortage, I remember a Northwest Airlines advertisement in the local newspaper, saying "Pilot's Wanted. Come learn to fly." It didn't matter if you had a college degree or not. You would probably get hired. But in recent years, from say 1980's-present, an airline would not hire you without one. They would pick someone with a college degree over someone without one. That's a no brainer.

Comment

It is almost slim to none. I bet WN would still hire you

Comment

Ahh. I never herd of flying without college degree but i'm a airline co-pilot i'm 19 almost to have a college degree but i'm flying really well!! :P
            Irfan Faiz Nazerollnizam. Computer geek and gamer

Comment

I have only a high school education, having flown since I was sixteen far outweighed the lack of a degree.

It wasn't even raised at my interview.

Cheers.

Comment

Is it because you started flying at 16, or is it because you've built up so many hours? I'm 17 and probably won't get to start learning to fly until I get out of Highschool (this is my senior year), so maybe I'll start building up lots of hours once I can fly.

Comment

Get an A&P Far more usefull than a college degree aviation wise, and in many cases it makes up for the lack of a degree.

Comment

What's an A&P? (I know I'm sounding like a total dickhead, but I'm only 17 yrs. old, not enough experience )

Comment

Some majors require a college degree. Not all though. Its more of being in the right place at the right time.
                      Bite me Airways.....

Comment

Originally posted by GeneralSirDouglasMcArthur
                        What's an A&P? (I know I'm sounding like a total dickhead, but I'm only 17 yrs. old, not enough experience )
                        I knew what an A&P was when I was 15 but eh. It's baisically an aircraft mechanics liscence. Not much use when flying heavy metal, but does wonders when your flying little planes. Knowing how stuff works, and what happens when it doesnt, really makes you a safer pilot.

-Clovis

Comment

stay away from airlines! go cargo! more fun (personal opinion)

if you really want to go airlines without college, you could get in with one of the flight accedemys such as simcom, flight safety, and several others i cant remember at this moment. the way it goes is usually after graduating you have an 'almost' garaunteed right seat with one of the communters the academy is affliated with. in the end though, it is a type of college so its kinda a compromise. be aware, they are not the cheapest thing in the world

but on the other hand, like the other guy said, a A&P (airframe and powerplant) license is much more worth it. usually a B I G plus if you want to go corporate or charter. although that takes i believe 36 months hands on training at an FBO.
                          [urlhttp://www.cdf-firefighters.org/][/url]

Comment

Working...
                          X