WJA sues AC for $30million

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WJA sues AC for $30million

WestJet Airlines launched a CAD$30 million (USD$24 million) lawsuit against Air Canada on Wednesday, claiming its rival's legal action against WestJet is part of an overall campaign to destroy the no-frills carrier.

WestJet, target of a CAD$220 million lawsuit from Air Canada over allegations of corporate espionage, said that suit is an abuse of the justice system aimed at destroying WestJet's reputation and driving it out of business.

WestJet's 16 page statement of claim, filed with Ontario Superior Court, is the latest salvo in a nasty legal war that has enveloped Canada's airline industry since last spring.

It names Air Canada, the country's largest airline, its defunct low-cost subsidiary Zip Air, Air Canada chief executive Robert Milton, vice-president Steve Smith and former vice-president Calin Rovinescu.

"Competition is one thing, but the use of litigation as a stalking horse to advance other avenues of attack, for the purpose of eliminating a competitor, is another," WestJet said in its claim. "The Air Canada action is brought for no other purpose than the destruction of WestJet as a competitor."

In response, Air Canada said in a statement that WestJet's claim was without merit and "nothing more than an attempt to divert attention" from Air Canada's suit.

The imbroglio, which has weighed on the stock price of WestJet, Canada's No. 2 carrier, stems from revelations that former WestJet vice-president Mark Hill was responsible for his staff gaining access to private Air Canada data through an employee web site, nearly a quarter of a million times.

But in the new claim, WestJet alleges that Air Canada's Smith -- formerly president of WestJet -- was aware of the activities in mid-2003, several months before Air Canada sued, and that Air Canada could have cut off the access.

According to the claim -- none of which has been proven in court -- Air Canada's executives allowed the activities to continue because the information on passenger numbers was of no value and because they planned to launch the suit.

Air Canada conspired to destroy WestJet by launching its lawsuit, unlawfully seizing WestJet's and Hill's confidential information and conducting a public smear campaign with materials from the legal proceedings, the WestJet claim said.

During those proceedings, it was revealed that Air Canada's private investigators rifled through the garbage at Hill's Vancouver Island home and sent shredded documents to a Texas firm to be pieced back together.

WestJet also alleged that Air Canada's lawyers made reference in the first legal action to sealed confidential information relating to rival no-frills airline Jetsgo.

The information led to Montreal-based Jetsgo joining the fight with its own CAD$50 million lawsuit against WestJet in October, the statement said.

WestJet is seeking damages of CAD$25 million for abuse of process and intentional interference with economic interests, and punitive damages of CAD$5 million.

source: http://news.airwise.com/stories/2004/12/1103144366.html

Wimps, cant handle a little compitition. Sorry but its true. I dont see the Il-legalness of this. Other airlines have made LFC's to compete with there main competitors. This is stupid. AC never said "Tomorrow, we will launch another airline useing 737's we got from an airline we 'dystroyed' to compete with west jet and run them into the ground!"

Im sorry, but thats stupid. Plus AC wont lose much anyway, this 250mil lawsuit they have against WJ for snooping/hacking.

Terribly sorry if I offended anybody.

NOTE: this wasnt aimed at the whole WJ work force, only the people who are high up in WJ.
    -Kevin

Comment

Man o man this just keeps getting better. Now all AC, Westjet and Jetsgo are all suing each other or at least one. Its very confussing and stupid! Why can't they just be friends!
      Thanks,
      Michael

Comment

WJ actions today seem more out of desperation than anything else. Mark Hill has sung like a bird, and all that is left to decide is how much.

Clive and his empire is falling to pieces.

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp Pilot
          Couldent have said it better myself. Its almost like there sore loosers. Sorry YWJ chick and Da-BoB, but its true
          -Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by Ramp Pilot
            WJ actions today seem more out of desperation than anything else. Mark Hill has sung like a bird, and all that is left to decide is how much.

I agree, they are becoming desperate
            Thanks,
            Michael

Comment

Originally posted by yyz-yvr
              I disagree. WJ's taking a natural and logical course of action given that they disagree with AC's legal actions. I do not see this as a frivolous suit (though I believe it will be tossed out), just a logical necessity. Now, the reality is that AC has restructured well and is finally ready to compete with WJ. The interesting question is this: - what will happen to Jetsgo? Sooner or later AC will turn their attention to this annoying little thing and say, "ok, that's it" and get into a nice little price war. The end result? No Jetsgo. I know this sounds crude but I do not see three major Canadian airlines (CanJet does not qualify).

-Sturla

Comment

Re: WJA sues AC for $30million

Originally posted by Da-BoB
                WestJet Airlines launched a CAD$30 million (USD$24 million) lawsuit against Air Canada on Wednesday, claiming its rival's legal action against WestJet is part of an overall campaign to destroy the no-frills carrier.
                HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
                Will F.
                Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

Comment

This is a crack up. I thought USA was where all this happened.
                  Sam Rudge
                  A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

Originally posted by sturla
                    Originally posted by yyz-yvr
                    I disagree. WJ's taking a natural and logical course of action given that they disagree with AC's legal actions. I do not see this as a frivolous suit (though I believe it will be tossed out), just a logical necessity. Now, the reality is that AC has restructured well and is finally ready to compete with WJ. The interesting question is this: - what will happen to Jetsgo? Sooner or later AC will turn their attention to this annoying little thing and say, "ok, that's it" and get into a nice little price war. The end result? No Jetsgo. I know this sounds crude but I do not see three major Canadian airlines (CanJet does not qualify).

-Sturla
                    will it be tossed out? who knows... when stuff like someone sueing McD's for making them fat anything can go

as for jetsgo they are sitting ducks... from what I have heard (no solid sorces tho) jetsgo are loosing money and breaking transport canada's mantainence laws to try and cut costs.... if this is true... talk about a sitting duck

Comment

as for jetsgo they are sitting ducks... from what I have heard (no solid sorces tho) jetsgo are loosing money and breaking transport canada's mantainence laws to try and cut costs.... if this is true... talk about a sitting duck
                      Have you EVER heard any rumours that are not anti-AC/JG?
                      Will F.
                      Photos: JetPhotos.Net | Airliners.net | General Photography

Comment

Originally posted by Crazy764
                        Have you EVER heard any rumours that are not anti-AC/JG?
                        yes thanks

Comment

Perhaps the courts will give all three airlines the bird and throw all of these ridiculous lawsuits out the door.

What a silly Canadian industry.
                          My Jetphotos.net Images

Comment

jetsgo are loosing money and breaking transport canada's mantainence laws to try and cut costs.... if this is true... talk about a sitting duck
                            Just like when WestJet broke them and got shut down, once upon a time? Oh yeah, Jetsgo hasnt been shut down.

Comment

if its to a airbus vs boeing thread its air canada vs westjet thread how stupid!

Comment

Working...
                              X