Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Spawn
    Hey guys

Im a newbie here so please be gentle on me. Anyways ive picked up a Canon 20D SLR camera with the 18-55mm standard kit lense and the 55-200mm usm lense. Now reading this thread has given me some ideas, would you guys suggest i dump those 2 lenses ie sell them and get these instead 4 lenses instead as the main reason why i bought the Canon 20D camera is to start taking some photos of planes landing and taking off here in Heathrow UK. The 4 lenses im thinking of getting are:
    Canon EF100 2.8 USM Macro
    Canon EF70-200 L IS USM f2.8
    Canon EF17-40 f4 LUSM 77mm
    Canon EF24-70mm f2.8L USM

Would these be good for general photography and also plane spotting??.

I look forward to hearing from you guys.
    I have a very similar kit to what you are thinking of.

EOS 20D, 17-40 F4, 24-70 F2.8 and 70-200 F4

All in all it's I've been able to get a number of great shots from various locations at AKLL. All I really want now is a 300 F4, I'd love the 2.8 but my wife would skin me alive especially since photography is only a hobbie and not something I make money from.

Comment

Originally posted by KiwiRob
      I have a very similar kit to what you are thinking of.

EOS 20D, 17-40 F4, 24-70 F2.8 and 70-200 F4

All in all it's I've been able to get a number of great shots from various locations at AKLL. All I really want now is a 300 F4, I'd love the 2.8 but my wife would skin me alive especially since photography is only a hobbie and not something I make money from.
      Cheers mate for your post, so those 4 lenses im thinking of would be good enough to get some great pics of planes etc ie close ups etc??. Hopefully next week sometime i should have them but just need/want to make sure that the lenses im getting are going to be good enough for plane spotting etc as thats the main reason why i got the Canon 20D.

Comment

Originally posted by Spawn
        Cheers mate for your post, so those 4 lenses im thinking of would be good enough to get some great pics of planes etc ie close ups etc??. Hopefully next week sometime i should have them but just need/want to make sure that the lenses im getting are going to be good enough for plane spotting etc as thats the main reason why i got the Canon 20D.
        Go for the 100-400L and the 24-70L, if you want something smaller just for when you can't carry big lenses keep the 55-200 or get a 75-300, 100-300 or 90-300.
        [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

Yes I do, it's a good solid kit that will be good for any number of situations. I'm now finding a second body would be great too, changing lens often is a drag and is a sure fire way of introducing dust to the sensor.

I also recommend the 580ex flash, the pop-up is useless and you will probably take photos of other things like people so having a decent flash is a no brainer IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by KiwiRob
            Yes I do, it's a good solid kit that will be good for any number of situations. I'm now finding a second body would be great too, changing lens often is a drag and is a sure fire way of introducing dust to the sensor.

I also recommend the 580ex flash, the pop-up is useless and you will probably take photos of other things like people so having a decent flash is a no brainer IMO.
            Oh yes definitely getting that flash as well, forgot to mention it lol. But ill see how i go with these lenses and if worse comes to worse ill either take them back for an exchange or just sell them on . Once again thanks mate for your help.

Comment

Working...
            X