No announcement yet.

What camera/lens should i buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The replacement for the 300D is coming out soon, the 350D/Digital Rebel XT, the camera and the 18-55mm lens will cost arouund USD$999, and the 300D and 18-55mm lens will be $799. Main differences between the 300D and the 350D are the new 8.0MP Sensor and more functions.
    If you have'nt bought the camera, wait, you can get the 300D for a lower price, or the 350D for $200 more
    [SIGNATURE GOES HERE]

Felipe Garcia

Comment

Originally posted by indian airlines
      Why spend so much more just for quietness?
      So much? Here in Canada, the 75-300 USM is about $20 more expensive than the 75-300 non-USM. It's hardly an amount to even think about, even for those with a tight budget.
      ________
      Honda Tlr200

Comment

I'm an amateur and I'm using [Fujifilm Finepix S5500] with tele photo 2x .
        Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Leftseat86
          Good Sites for reading specifications/in-depth reviews and user opinions:

www.dpreview.com

www.fredmiranda.com

www.photographyreview.com

Good online retail sites:

www.bhphotovideo.com

www.adorama.com

www.buydig.com (Clovis' Favorite )

www.freestylephoto.biz

www.samys.com

www.digitalphotoclub.com

Good sites to compare prices (and shop)

www.pricegrabber.com

www.resellerratings.com

Good non-aviation photography sites:

www.pbase.com

www.deviantart.com

www.photo.net
          im sorry, but could you add newegg to that list? they dont have lenses, but they do kick some major ass.... free shipping, good prices, unbeatable return polocy... i love 'em
          ^----raveing lunatic

please excuse my horendus mangeling of the english language, its only my first :P

Comment

Another great point & shoot is the Panasonic DMC-FZ10 and updated FZ20... I recently swapped the 10 for the new 20 version and I have had excellent results... out of my first 10 submissions, 9 were accepted.

Though at the same... I've also honed my skills over time...

The DMC-FZ20 has 5.0mp and an awesome 12x optical zoom.. I like it alot!

Anyways.. I thought I'd add that camera to the list.
            My Jetphotos.net Images

Comment

I have been thinking about upgrading to a DSLR recently, and have decided to go with a Nikon D70. However being relatively new to this, I have a question about the lens that comes as standard.

Standard Lens

The first post's comment on this lens was good colour, and sharpness for a consumer lens.

Does this lens have magnification necessary for ranges of about 100-200 meters? The P&S i currently have only has an optical 3x magnification and obviously falls short of that range. Would this lens give a better output than 3x??

Thanks for your help,
              James.
              YBBN - James

Comment

X times magnification is a completely useless indicator.

Your current camera may have a 2-6mm lens, that would make it 3x.
                If it had a 10-30mm lens it would also be 3x.

The 18-70 is about 4x, but so is (approximately) an 80-400.

At 200m you want a 200mm at least for shooting airliners, and a 300mm if you want to shoot anything much smaller than a 767.

Comment

hi everyone, right i am getting a new cam and ive found this one, as its around my price range. iid very much appreciate any advise on it, as i need the zoom but i dont really know much about cameras so, please take a glanbce and let me know and suggest others if you would like, thanks in advance

http://www.internetcamerasdirect.co....mera-specs.htm

these are a couple of length etc i need, i have a 3.2 mp 3x optical at the mo..sorry they arent the standard you guys produce!

Comment

Originally posted by jwenting
                    X times magnification is a completely useless indicator.

Your current camera may have a 2-6mm lens, that would make it 3x.
                    If it had a 10-30mm lens it would also be 3x.

The 18-70 is about 4x, but so is (approximately) an 80-400.

At 200m you want a 200mm at least for shooting airliners, and a 300mm if you want to shoot anything much smaller than a 767.
                    Thanks for your help and explanation.

I also got a 70-300mm and am so far happy with the results.

[photoid=444319]
                    YBBN - James

Comment

gotta 300D and sigma 55-200. Not to happy with the lens since its hard to get it right focused (AF) , and the 300D is a very good cam, although since it was my first Digital prof cam i didn't know how to use it properly in the begin and so i have a lot sensor dirt on it.....

but tip, go for 300D with an canon 70-200 F4 lens. Now the 350D is in the stores, the 300D is much more cheaper than first!!! look at Ebay and you will find new 300D's for about 400$ or so.....

[photoid=445884]
                      My New Photo Name on JP.net is DutchAviation!!!!

why should we fight about wich aircraft manufactor is better..............

thats so childish....

because hey we all know boeing is better

Comment

Maurice, the 300D isn't a pro camera... It's a DSLR but very clearly in the lowend consumer segment.
                        If you ever get the chance to use a pro camera you'll constantly be longing for the difference (I know, I use a pro camera ) and not be really satisfied by anything less.

Comment

Jeroen sure i know the Mark and 1D are profs and the 300D not but i more mean the difference between normal digital camera's and mirror camera's....
                          My New Photo Name on JP.net is DutchAviation!!!!

why should we fight about wich aircraft manufactor is better..............

thats so childish....

because hey we all know boeing is better

Comment

then call it that. Just because something isn't an (D)SLR doesn't make it amateur either.

In fact I'd consider a Coolpix 8700 (for example) to be closer to a pro camera than a 300D. Its superior construction makes it so.

I'd gladly sell my F80 if I needed the money to have enough for a Leica M7 too.

Comment

Hello all,

This is my first post on JP.net and quite frankly I am very impressed with the overall layout.

Back to the topic;

You have to draw a line somewhere. I currently shoot with the following;

-Canon EOS Digital Rebel (300D) + Canon Battery Grip
                              -Canon EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS USM
                              -Canon EF 75-300mm f4-5.6 III USM
                              -Canon EF 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 USM

And when I first got my lens I picked up a Sigma 170-500 which I am now selling with the addition of my 400L IS.

I would have to disagree with the idea that investing in a pro camera is the way to go. It will require expeareance as we all know but mostly it kind of leaves you out to dry. In my opinion, unless you have loads of money just laying around, that as long as you invest in a reasonable camera you are still left with cash to get camera lenses. In all I have spent in the neighborhood of $4,000 on my gear (Body, Lenses, Tripod, Batt's, CF Cards, etc). When the day comes for me to upgrade cameras I still have all my lenses to use while still having a second body that is working great. Some might require more work than others to get the ideal image but its easily do-able.

Just my opinion about it. I know that my shots with my 100-400 are quite impressive and make me perfectly happy with my choice.

Thanks and I look forward to a good time here on JP.net.

Matt
                              / / / U N I T E D -- It's Time To Fly

Comment

Originally posted by jwenting
                                I'd gladly sell my F80 if I needed the money to have enough for a Leica M7 too.
                                Ah, well... now, this digital M they've speculating about for ages... :rolleyes:

Paul

Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Working...
                                X