What camera/lens should i buy?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by UA777222
    I would have to disagree with the idea that investing in a pro camera is the way to go. It will require expeareance as we all know but mostly it kind of leaves you out to dry. In my opinion, unless you have loads of money just laying around, that as long as you invest in a reasonable camera you are still left with cash to get camera lenses.
    Welcome to jp.net. Good advice. I use the 300D and for the amount of money I've put into my gear I am very impressed. You do not need a 1dsMKii or whatever film relics jw still shoots with to pull shots you'll like. So to really comprehend what you want to buy. evaluate what you'll do, how much money you have and what system you want to be invested in when a new body comes out.

Comment

Originally posted by pvsoest
      Ah, well... now, this digital M they've speculating about for ages... :rolleyes:

Paul
      Go wash your mouth with soap. "Digital M" is herecy. Velvia forever!

Hello all,
      -Canon EOS Digital Rebel (300D) + Canon Battery Grip
      -Canon EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS USM
      -Canon EF 75-300mm f4-5.6 III USM
      -Canon EF 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 USM

And when I first got my lens I picked up a Sigma 170-500 which I am now selling with the addition of my 400L IS.

I would have to disagree with the idea that investing in a pro camera is the way to go. It will require expeareance as we all know but mostly it kind of leaves you out to dry. In my opinion, unless you have loads of money just laying around, that as long as you invest in a reasonable camera you are still left with cash to get camera lenses.
      Matt
      Decent set. Now's the time to go save up for that highend camera

One shouldn't indeed start with a pro camera if that prevents getting good glass. But once you've used one there's no way back.
      I should know, I've purchased an F100 a few years ago after 20 years of low/mid range SLRs and now everything less (including cameras like the D100 which is no bad camera at all) seem inadequate in comparison.
      But when I got that F100 I already had a decent set of glass (and got some more together with the camera) so I wasn't starting from scratch.

Looking at the lowend cameras I now consider them very slow (which can be partially overcome by using AF-S/USM lenses, but those don't cure things like shutterlag and in digital cameras bufferlag), but what's worse the small viewfinders seem incredibly claustrophobic.

That said, I might buy a D50 when that's put on the market (supposedly next month) as a plaything and for non-critical things where it's more important to get the results out quickly than it is to get shots that have lasting value and are of top notch quality.

Comment

I must say I went from the F5 to the D100 and I don´t miss the F5 much. Most of the stuff were it clearly beats the D100 is not so important for the non professional user.

I would rather go midlevel DSLR body (as they are still getting old quickly) and put the money saved in some professional glass. My Nikon AF-S 300 2.8D was really expensive, but is still worth every cent.

Comment

I must say that I have seen good results with the 75-300 non USM on a rebel XT......70-200 f4L is not great if you can't get good close access.

I'm going to the 300 F4L and the 1.4X TC for where I shoot.....

Just a little extra for those Canadian photographers out there:

www.cameracanada.com (located in London, Ontario: it's the Canadian version of B&H)

www.vistek.ca (located in Toronto, good prices)
          Canon 20D & BG-E2 Grip
          EF 50mm 1.4 USM
          EF-S 18-55mm
          EF 28-135mm IS USM
          EF 70-200mm f4L
          EF 100-400L IS
          1.4X II Teleconverter
          Canon 420EX Speedlite
          Canon 430EX Speedlite
          Manfrotto Tripod and Monopod

David Wilson | Through the Fence Photography

Comment

i also found what seems to be a good website, www.sigma4less.com... prices are astonishing.
            ^----raveing lunatic

please excuse my horendus mangeling of the english language, its only my first :P

Comment

What camera /lens should i buy

For Nikons if you can get your hands on one, consider the 28/70 F2.8 ed. If your serious about the quality of your work, It' s a bit pricey, but you get what you pay for, very fast & needle sharp. They do not get any better, rated AAA+.

Contrails

Comment

I currently shoot with the following;

-Canon EOS Digital Rebel (300D) + Canon Battery Grip
                -Canon EF 100-400mm f4.5-5.6L IS USM
                -Canon EF 75-300mm f4-5.6 III USM
                -Canon EF 18-55mm f3.5-5.6 USM
                How do you like the battery grip? I am considering purchasing one (Canon 300D) but it seems like too much buck for too little bang (around $100 online).
                ADC Refugee

Click here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Would this camera be any good for taking pictures of planes?

It's only 3 megapixels. Is that too low for "jetphotos.net quality" pictures?

What about a 4.0 megapixel camera? Is that too low?

Comment

MPs are not everything. The first thing you need to work out, which zoom range do you need for your mostly visited airport. Then you need to check the focus speed of the camera and your personal price limited. After checking noise performance and the white balance performance, you can think about MPs.

Comment

Originally posted by JordanD
                      Would this camera be any good for taking pictures of planes?

It's only 3 megapixels. Is that too low for "jetphotos.net quality" pictures?

What about a 4.0 megapixel camera? Is that too low?
                      IMO, 3 MP might be enough, but it won't leave you much leeway for cropping.

Paul

Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

The next big thing is to get my parents to buy me one. That's gonna take some hard work! I worked out that at the rate I take pictures, by the end of the year I will have spent 350 dollars on processing, mostly of which are photos that didn't come out good.

Comment

Okay I'm gonna be joining the 21st centruy and finally go digital, although not giving up my film. My family is comming into money soon and my parents are going to get me a DSLR. Here's the tough part, choosing. I've narrowed it down between the Canon 20D or Minolta Maxxum 7D. I already own a maxxum 4 with 28-80 and 70-300mm lenses and at first thats what had me leaning towards the 7D but that sucker is heavy and I can't imagine how heavy it would be with a 70-300mm lens on it. Another one I was looking at was the Nikon d70 but for some reason it just didn't feel comfortable holding it (can't quite put my finger on why). Opinions on these 2 cameras or similar ones would be awesome

BTW: It would not necessarily be used just for aviation photography, but landscapes, purty flowers etc.

Comment

Theres alot here that use the 20D. It looks like a great camera. I would recommend it(judging by the pics that is).
                            You've got to try to find what's right before your eyes-Finger Eleven

Comment

would you guys recommend a D60... most likely used from ebay, but I see good deals with good lenses from 600-700
                              Only the dead have seen the end of the war-Plato

Comment

Originally posted by fly1346
                                would you guys recommend a D60... most likely used from ebay, but I see good deals with good lenses from 600-700
                                Any D-SLR is an upgrade from a digital P&S. Btw, didn't you just get a Oly C720?
                                Click Here for my aviation photographs.
                                No Frontiers

Comment

Working...
                                X