Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Qantas' record profit - and fleet renewel.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Qantas' record profit - and fleet renewel.

Well Qantas is making tonnes of money so when are they going to replace their ageing fleet?

I mean mainly 747-300's, Old -400's, 767-200's etc. It's not exactly SIA or Emirates for fleet age and quality is it. They had to be dragged kicking and screaming to even installl PTV's. Fine if you don't want to be a top-tier airline but Qantas like to proclaim itself as one, which makes me laugh.

But now that they're making so much money, are there any plans for fleet renewal on the cards? other than the handful of a380's on order. Perhaps some a340's/777's and some a350/787's?

4Engines4LongHaul

Originally posted by CaptainJackSparrow

Well Qantas is making tonnes of money so when are they going to replace their ageing fleet?

I mean mainly 747-300's, Old -400's, 767-200's etc. It's not exactly SIA or Emirates for fleet age and quality is it. They had to be dragged kicking and screaming to even installl PTV's. Fine if you don't want to be a top-tier airline but Qantas like to proclaim itself as one, which makes me laugh.
    I don't think that an airline's fleet is the only thing that makes it 'top-tier.'
    Prepare For Takeoff - Spread Your Wings - Take Flight at Little Rock National
    ATL, BWI, CLT, CVG, DAL, DEN, DFW, DTW, EWR, HOU, IAD, IAH, LAS, MCI, MCO, MDW, MEM, MSP, ORD, PHX, SLC, and STL.

Comment

course not, but Qantas service isn't anything to write home about either.

4Engines4LongHaul

Comment

CaptainJackSparrow, whilst the 767-200s have been retired the boss has stated that they are shortlisting 777s or A340s to replace older 747s. Meanwhile the present fleet is very well maintained.

Comment

Proof that running a profitable airline is possible, I'm pretty sure Qantas has to buy fuel too so the "high fuel costs" excuse doesn't work.

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
            Proof that running a profitable airline is possible, I'm pretty sure Qantas has to buy fuel too so the "high fuel costs" excuse doesn't work.
            Was thinking the same thing.
            Sam Rudge
            A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

Originally posted by AJ
              CaptainJackSparrow, whilst the 767-200s have been retired the boss has stated that they are shortlisting 777s or A340s to replace older 747s. Meanwhile the present fleet is very well maintained.
              hey AJ, once all the 767s are gone any idea what you'll move to next? Even if its just a wish on what you'd like to move on to?

Comment

Obviously a transition to a 777 would be the easiest, the problem is neither the A330 or 777 are a good replacement for the short haul routes flown by our 767s. If the 787 or A350 can be tailored for short haul they could be a chance.

To answer your question the next type for me will probably be an A330.

Comment

Originally posted by AJ
                  Obviously a transition to a 777 would be the easiest, the problem is neither the A330 or 777 are a good replacement for the short haul routes flown by our 767s. If the 787 or A350 can be tailored for short haul they could be a chance.

That mean no more trips to Narita?

Comment

Companies just dont go start buying new aircraft just because they are making a profit. Note that they are, and still will, pay for the A380 and A333/A332 orders that they have made.

But now that they're making so much money, are there any plans for fleet renewal on the cards? other than the handful of a380's on order. Perhaps some a340's/777's and some a350/787's?
                    There is an RFP out there for A346/B773ER aircraft to replace their 743's and earlier 744's. Haven't received any updates as of late on when they will finally decide. I dont see them ordering the A350/787 soon since they have new A330's which have been slated for regional routes.

BTW, Qantas has retired all 762's. They still operate the 763's (mostly on their domestic route) because their choice replacement aircraft (i.e. reduced weight A332's) have not fully met their expectations. The A332's work well on the PER - MEL, PER-SYD routes but it could just not replace the 767's flexibility on their domestic network due to the A332's longer turn around times.
                    adaequatio rei et intellectus

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
                      That mean no more trips to Narita?
                      A333's are taking over the 767's on those routes. From MEL, NRT and HKG at least are now A333's. I think MNL is too, althought I have no idea in reality

The 767 will be doinf Trans-Tasman and domestic only pretty soon

Comment

Originally posted by vojoboy
                        I dont see them ordering the A350/787 soon since they have new A330's which have been slated for regional routes.
                        Not exactly, only 4 A332's are domestic. All A333's are now intl a/c.

Comment

Originally posted by AJ
                          Why the sad face? The A330-300 would be a promotion, wouldn't it?
                          YBBN - James

Comment

In my opinion, apart from the '300 series 747's, QANTAS have a well maintained and fairly smooth fleet.
                            If I always fly my national airline,....so should you! .

Fly British Airways. Possibly the best airline in Europe....maybe in the world

Comment

Originally posted by YBBN
                              Why the sad face? The A330-300 would be a promotion, wouldn't it?
                              Not if you if you're a big Boeing fan

Comment

Working...
                              X