Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: I quit Airliners.net

Default I quit Airliners.net

I quit. I asked to have all my photos removed, and my username deleted. The place is going down...and I'm tired of paying 5$ a month for bullshit.

Rejected for "low quality"

http://www.airliners.net/procphotos/...30WWYF_535.jpg

If they wont accept that, then they don't deserve my time...

-Clovis

low quality thats a really good photo, i cant see how they can say that is low quality! Soon A.Net will be down to only a few regular uploaders

Joe,

Only place I upload now is jetphotos.net

-Clovis

You make the right choice...

That is sad that they rejected that photo, bad quality my butt! You made the right choice in coming here clovis.

Nice to see you've joined the line of a.net refugees.

Clovis,

I'm sure you know I have a vested interest in that other site. Each site has its own standards, and I respect the decisions that were made in determining those standards at each site. It is then up to each photographer to decide whether they want to meet the standards of each site, or not. I am not in any way going to try to make you change your mind but non the less I will make a comment:

I'm sorry, but I've seen your other pictures and you can do better than that. Its not an question of whether its a good photograph or not, its just not quite 100% in terms of its sharpness. A little tweak with the unsharp mask taking less than 30 seconds will probably sort it out.

Andy

Andy, sure maybe some USM could have been used. I accept those type of rejections which are logical, they make me a better photographer
    But here, there's no logic! They just give me a list of reasons why the photo *may* have been rejected, and leave me stumped as to what to do to get it on there. What do I fix? "Contrast/brightness" ? "USM"? "too much noise?"... What do they expect me to do?
    I've seen pictures from 10D users from Myrtle avenue, same type of shot, where the whole tail is a blurry mess... Can there ever be a little leeway?
    It is one thing to say, "this is wrong, do this, fix it and we'll accept it," but it is quite another to reject it and leave me clueless as to what to do next...

-Clovis

Clovis: I like the photo. Maybe the screener just had a bad day. Did you appeal?

If the screener is having a bad day he shouldnt be screening.

-Clovis

Ah come one Clovis... dont give up when things are not really going the way you want... If a shot doesnt get accepted, move on... you must have more shots waiting to get uploaded...

A.net still is by far the premium aviation site on the web and it pays to go through the trouble of getting pics uploaded.. Exposure is higher, more people see your photos!

I hope it was just an impulsive reaction... hope to see you back at A.net...

Wietse

[edit: impulsive grammar]
    Trying to keep the edge...

On a sidenote... I think it is indeed a shame that a shot like yours is rejected... (it is pretty full in the frame and a nice subject with good light!)

What irritates me is the constant flow of accepted pics at A.net which are below standard, taken at the wrong time of day (sun behind the plane) and boring subjects..: Fokker 50s and Transavia 737s with bad light and low quality... I cant stand it that those are accepted while others like yours are dismissed... I am talking about Amsterdam, and if you want to have a look at them, just do a search for AMS and look about 4 pages down....

Wietse
    Trying to keep the edge...

It isnt just that Wietse, its all these things...

I hate the forum mods, and I hate the general atmosphere of that competitiveness. Photography is supposed to be fun, not a business like A.net are turning it into...they just ruin the whole point. I almost forgot why I started taking photos...for myself! And for enjoyment! To relax! Getting everything rejected all the time isnt relaxing! Its too much work...

-Clovis

Wietse, amybe I'll take it back..but I'm just so irritated, I can't stand it. I try so hard with my little camera to get it right, and it seems as if they really dont want my stuff. WHAT is wrong with the EK shot? I dont know! And thats what bothers me...

-Clovis

I really hope you haven't shot yourself in the foot here Clovis, you made some great posts and had some terrific pictures on the other site but that really doesn't matter too much in the big picture, A.net will go on and will continue to become more and more exclusive in terms of what is acceptable and what isn't. We've all had rejections that we can't explain and it is those rejections that leave some of us gobsmacked about the inconsistencies that can appear to prevail at times. But we get over these rejections and get on with the next batch to upload.

I completely understand where you are coming from, two weeks ago I was in the same place, an unusually high number of rejections for what I felt at the time to be petty reasons. I was just short of 500 pictures in the Db and decided that maybe I should get to 500 and then give up and save myself the dissappointment, but I would at least give it a few days to consider things. So I left it for a few days, let my remaining uploads work their way through the queue and switched off from it for a week or so. After reassessing what I should upload I have just had a fairly large batch directly added, but at the same time I've done the same here and at PP so the result is that I am now uploading higher quality stuff at all three sites which is better for everyone.

It's easy for all of us to sit around like 'BigMac' and whine when things don't go our way, but it takes a bigger person to accept that their material isn't up to standard and try and improve it. I think that you are one of the bigger people Clovis, and like it or not the EK330 is soft and shouldn't be left like that-it can be improved and when it has been improved (sharpened) it would be welcome on any database. But I agree with what you are saying about 'badscan'-it is a little too vague but maybe the screeners don't have the time to be more specific.

I'm sorry but I think you have acted in haste and may come to regret this decision, especially removing all your pictures-I don't see what that achieves. There are a lot of people on this forum who would love to have just one picture on A.net and might see this as arrogance, 'I got a picture rejected so I'm taking all my pictures off the Db' etc.

Matt

Matt, I understand, but WHY did the screener not say "badsoft"? It would make it so much easier! I wouldnt mind!

I dont like the hype around A.net either. Why does having photos on A.net make you a bigger photographer than having photos here? Why do they have to make it so competitive all the time?

They havn't e-mailed me back with my request, so we'll see...I'm still pissed off though, and I'm still banned from the forum for another STUPID reason...

-Clovis

What do you mean by competitive?

The only competition that I have seen is the A.net diehards who diss all the other db's with comments like 'they'll soon come back to Anet when they realise what a mistake they've made' etc etc. But this vibe is repeated over here by people saying that Anet is rubbish because they are too elitist.

I often wonder what the long term plan is for this ite and lso for Anet, as contributors we should know whether we are playing our part in creating a historical database or whether it's all just bout getting more hits. If we know that then we might know what sort of pictures are more likely to be accepted.

I upload here because it is more relaxed and the same goes for PP.net, I upload to A.net because I have made friends through feedback from my pictures and unfortunately I get very little feedbck from my pictures on JP when compared to what I get from the pictures on A.net.

Matt

I've had my share of frustrations too with rejections airliners.net but I get over it quite soon. The reason is that it is not my website, I don't pay for its operation, so in my opinion they are free to impose whatever regulations they want. The way I see it is that if someone doesn't want my picture, then that`s their loss not mine. And nobody forced you to pay for the forum access, that was your own choice! Maybe that place will indeed be reduced to a few "regulars", but so what? I have no problem with that. These "regulars" (such as Messrs Unmuth, Pedley, Work, de Graaf, Bevere etc.) are very, very, very good photographers whose work inspires me and makes me learn. I'll just take my pics somewhere else then. Whether this site or the other, both are great and it's all just a hobby which we should enjoy! In summary, I personally find your reaction(s) somewhat exaggerated.

PS! I had a pic which was accepted at airliners.net rejected here....!
    Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Quote Originally Posted by Leftseat86
    Photography is supposed to be fun, not a business like A.net are turning it into...they just ruin the whole point. I almost forgot why I started taking photos...for myself! And for enjoyment! To relax! Getting everything rejected all the time isnt relaxing! Its too much work...
    Clovis,

Right on - mostly! But you know what - that's why I don't care about the rejections. I enjoyed taking the photograph so if airliners.net, or this site, or PlanePictures (I've had more rejections there than anywhere) don't want my picture then that's fine - I still have it and I still enjoyed taking it.

Best wishes, whatever you decide to do next,

Andy