Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: I quit Airliners.net

What irritates me is the constant flow of accepted pics at A.net which are below standard, taken at the wrong time of day (sun behind the plane) and boring subjects..: Fokker 50s and Transavia 737s with bad light and low quality... I cant stand it that those are accepted while others like yours are dismissed... I am talking about Amsterdam, and if you want to have a look at them, just do a search for AMS and look about 4 pages down....
    That is an arrogant Wietse.

Be happy with your own photographs.
    When you publicly express those thoughts, you lose all your credibility.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenneth
    Maybe that place will indeed be reduced to a few "regulars", but so what? I have no problem with that. These "regulars" (such as Messrs Unmuth, Pedley, Work, de Graaf, Bevere etc.) are very, very, very good photographers whose work inspires me and makes me learn.
    Look guys, I don't want to turn my postings or this topic into a "why airliners.net isn't all bad" kind of thing - you know I have a vested interest so there's no point in me trying to do that. But you also know what - I can honestly say that I have NEVER seen favouritism in terms of image quality given to the Unmuths, Pries, or others mentioned above. If they get it, they don't get it from me.

Clovis, I wish you well with your photography whatever the outcome. You have captured some unique images and I hope you continue to share them with us, however you choose to do that. I'm still hopefull that I'll be at MAN on 28 May - maybe I'll be able to say hello in person there.

Andy

Hey Clovis, you know I am a supporter of your shots, here and there. What I see in that shot is that it is "soft", a little undersaturated, and there is quite a bit of CA around the edges. It can be fixed, and I agree with Andy on this one. It just is not your best shot. Take a break from uploading for a while and when you get back in the swing of things you'll see a big difference.

Jeff

Default Clovis

You know I support you, and we have talked in the past. We use the same digital camera....lets ignore the fact the I also use an F65, but that is another story. I photo is a touch on the soft side, but alot of the photos from your camera do....personal expieriance.

I resently had a shot rejected for "badscan" the humour, is that is was a digital shot.

In my opinion giving up on Airliners.net, is giving up alot. The views, and contacts from that site far exceed, what exposure you will recieve here. I have 100 photos at Airliners.net, and 300 photos and jetphotos.net. Yet I have been contacted solely through my airliners.net photos. If it wasn't for Airliners.net I wouldn't have a photo contract with Zip, I wouldn't be a published photographer, I wouldn't be where I am.

I use jetphotos.net to show the stuff that I know the other site will view as low quality. It's the stuff I have fun with.

Remember you're in this to have fun, and you have the potential, don't give up.

On your Airways dealings, the reason they will offer you $10 a photo is because it will appear in the back of the magazine in the deliveries section.

Mark McWhirter

Clovis wrote:

"Oh please don't start doing this A.net style... I got banned for calling Indianguy a "motherfucker" in ONE post. He said that "Americans are fair game for Islamic terrorists, they are fighting for their liberation"

I think your problem is the non-aviation forum, not the photo. You know everyone can ask for help in the aviation photography forum and someone will give you tips to improve a rejected photo. In the rejection email it's written to ask for help on the aviation photography forum, people there are very friendly and always give good advices on how to improve rejected photos.

You give up very easy, bad for you. And you're trying to blame the screeners for your problems on the playground (non aviation forum).

Bye.
    Luis

LGA (Home)/YEG (for the summer)/GRU (moving there this fall)

I'd have to agree with Luis here. It seems your problem is with the moderation on that site, which is piss-poor, and not the screeners. They should be entirerly different entities. I'm not sure about internal A.net politics anymore as I no longer post on that site, but I have heard that the screeners have become all the more anal in what they accept. Maybe the sentiment of the moderators is seeping to other aspects of the site?

I would agree with Luis in that the Photo forums on A.net are very helpful and informative, if the Civil, tech and non-av are not.

Either way, A.net is not doing itself a favor by losing a lot of members and photographers.

Oh yeah, my problem is much more with the moderators then with the screeners man. But this reject just put icing on the cake. I think I may stay, but I need time to cool off...thanks for the help guys.

-Clovis

Yo scunner... I am not saying I dont like the photographs, if they are worthy to get added, so be it, I just wont look at them. Simply all aircraft coming by are photographed. That is not a problem, since I do that too, but they are all uploaded too! What im saying is pick your best shots and upload them!! Quality over Quantity! But this isnt too bad and it wont irritate me...

The thing that does irritates me, is the rejection of some shots that are special or marginal rejections in contrast to the acceptance of those bad side ons.

And : I just think its a shame that people go to locations at times when the sun and light is just so bad. Going to another location would easily solve that...
    Trying to keep the edge...

If you are talking about the JAL side on shot then I see where you are coming from, but beauty is in the eye of the beholder and I like shots where the angle of the low sun (particularly in winter) brings out details and shadows that you wouldn't otherwise see-but the JAL shot takes it too far in my opinion.

Badmotiv is a very tough rejection-what is artistic to one person is badly composed to another, but that's where JP comes in, one of of my very first uploads here was a Twin Otter sitting on the tarmac (if one could call it that) at a landing strip in the middle of Papua New Guinea, the whole village (plus various animals) turned up to see the plane and were all included as what I felt was an integral part of the picture. There is no way it would ever get on A.net because it would be 'badpeople' and maybe 'badmotiv' but it was accepted with no problems here so everyone else can see how the weekly flight is regarded in the more remote parts of the world.

Anyway, what you say about AMS is true and it is also true of LHR. I live close enough to LHR to go there every day if I want so I can be very selective about what I upload but it is annoying to see some guys visit LHR for a day and then try and upload every picture they have taken. My last day out was to Edinburgh and despite taking over 100 shots I think I only uploaded about 10 to A.net so not living near to an airport isn't an excuse not to self-screen.

Matt

Matt,

I was not in perticular reffering to the JAL side on shot. I can accept that shot, as JAL only comes in on that runway at that time. I can see why you want to shoot and upload it.

My 'problem' is with other pics that are no good photographs...

What makes a good photograph?
    - lighting
    - composition
    - subject

I am talking about shots that are
    -backlit (or in any case the sun is not behind the photog at all)
    -3/4 rear shots in the approach
    -Fokker 50s, Transavia 737s etc... just the regular boring stuff..

And again, if there is no other possibility to shoot a/c at that time, its fine with me... but just take a 10 mins drive, and you have PERFECT sunshine!

Wietse

Clovis that pic was great! Pretty stupid that they called it low quality if you ask me. I've seen worse on that site. Maybe different screeners have different standards and it just so happend to your bad luck you had a super anal photography perfectionist.

Hey what was up with engine #1? One of the rear covers was blue....

Default A.net

Hey guys count another guy that has quit A.net. Just last night I told them to take all of my pictures off. I only had 3 on the data base so it was not difficult. They e-maild me this mourning saying that they have taken the pictures off the data base. At the end of the e-mail Johan said, " Cheers, Johan" what is that about.

Nick

Hmmm... so now it is something to be proud of? Telling them to have your pictures removed? Come on...

By asking airliners.net to remove your pictures you only hurt yourself. Airliners.net was, is and will be the biggest and most important database for aviation images. There your photos are viewed by more people than here or at any other database, if somebody searches for a picture for use in a publication he searches at airliners.net first.

You don't hurt airliners.net in any way if you request to remove your pictures. There are enough photographers around the world who are willing to support the site. Requesting the removal of your pictures only shows that you are giving up in achieving the highest possible quality for your pictures.

Wietse, you're right with your "no good photographs", but have a look at other databases than airliners.net. It is far worse! (Please note that I'm not referring technical issues, I'm referring to composition, lighting and subject)
    Happy Spotting!

Frank
    FU Airliner Photography

But if you are a hobbyist does it really matter if they are seen by more people? I am content to have a least 300 people see my work and 300+ for one pic is more than I could have dreamed of. the growing intolerance of a.net is because of inconsitencies and the realization that they can go somewhere else. A.net used to be small but it's growth has alienated the little guys who don't take hundreds of pics with their 10D's. The choice to leave a site is that person's beliefs and they shuld be congrtulated for doing what that beleived was correct.

Very true greg.
    Maybe if enough of the big boys leave a.net they will be a little more consistent in their screening of pics. I realize that I will never with my equipment get a photo in a mag but does that mean that I should never get a photo on the internet either?
    Also I wouldn't be so sure that it will always be the biggest on the internet. If Jetphotos.net stays its course and keeps accepting the way that they are we will surpass a.net with in the next couple years. And if you look the pictures here are not crap. They are damn nice and truly show a love of aviation.
    Try to catch me flyin dirty...

It is not the equipment you own that gets you published in a magazine, it is the photo itself. I have sold a bunch of shots taken with my Olympus C700 which is by no means even considered an advanced amature camera. Basically a point and shoot. But, some of the shots are very good based on lighting, composition, etc. I did that, not the camera.

The "bar" at A.net rises every now and then, just as many people here are noticing it inching up as well. Raising that bar is good for the site and the photographers. If you are just a hobbyist, then getting a rejection should not be a big deal, but, if you are into selling some of this stuff, then obviously, the better the shot, the more views you get, the more potential customers you have, the more money you make, etc. etc, etc.

Most "guys" do take hundreds of shots on an outing...... Just not all with Canon , Nikon can be seen around some perimeter fences as well....

Didn't mean to say only good pics were tasken with Canon's, I just know more about them then Nikon's. Most of pics are taken with a Kodak though.

You're not alone Clovis. I just had around 12 photos rejected for low quality. I think some of the screeners at airliners.net are still anti Nikon. Since most, if not all, of the screeners have Canon's. I've had more shots uploaded there with an Olympus C-3000 than with a Nikon D100. And it makes me mad to have my photos in the queue for almost 3 weeks and then have them all rejected for something they shouldn't have been rejected for.

Yo Wietse! I'll give you some benefit of the doubt, perhaps,
    but you have fallen on your own sword:

What makes a good photograph?
    - lighting
    - composition
    - subject

I am talking about shots that are
    -backlit (or in any case the sun is not behind the photog at all)
    -3/4 rear shots in the approach
    -Fokker 50s, Transavia 737s etc... just the regular boring stuff..

And again, if there is no other possibility to shoot a/c at that time, its fine with me... but just take a 10 mins drive, and you have PERFECT sunshine!
    Your own capabilites are showing a defecit.
    [[ Backlighting and creating a stunning photograph from a boring subject. ]]
    Have you ever tried it? or are you just a sunshine junkie?
    (Sorry Frank, I am not getting at you, I know you do have a specific target audience)
    Yes, sunshine behind you is the basic building block of a standard aircraft shot, but aviation photography is more than just that.
    Once you enter the comfort zone there is no challenge left to achieve, unless you look for it.

When you have developed and mastered those objectives, I'll listen to you more intently.