No announcement yet.

I quit Airliners.net

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

No I did not have Jessica's photo removed. It is still there.

Lately Jessica has started shooting some trains with me so we will have to see if we can get her on Railpictures.net.

And actually one of my photos remains on a.net. It was my very first shot added (It is under a different e-mail address and did not get deleted). It was only # 6248 in the database. It goes along way to show how quality standards have changed....

Photo taken at San Jose - Norman Y. Mineta International (Municipal) (SJC / KSJC) in California, USA on June 2, 1998.

Comment

Richard,

I enjoy seeing your older photos. I wish I was in this hobby back then. I sure did miss alot of great stuff.

Comment

A.net is a Rip off!

Sorry not wanting to affend anyone but, they rejected most od my pictures for softness and stuff like that, A.net is going to be the 2nd site to upload I think we can make Chris famous and start uploading good pictures here, at least they are interested on the artistic side of the picture.

Cheers!!!
        (got Boeing?)

http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=1117

Comment

Richard,

Your stuff is great. I always check out your stuff since its so interesting and 99% of it I never seen in my life, though I would have loved too.

Keep up the work
          Legia Warszawa - Duma Stolicy Polski
          Sail the Smooth Skies to ORD with the 767-300ER

Photos: http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=5
          http://www.jetphotos.net/members/viewprofile.php?id=5

Comment

Good boy!!!!!!!!!! i give you a lollie for that i only use Airliners.net for the chat
            Some people in today's society are so thick!

Comment

Im getting sick of a.net... this was rejected for badquality:

This vas shot on provia, it is pinsharp and scanned in 1600 px... you can even read the reg on the sabena. Its supposed to have a blue cast since it was shot in the blue light of sunset... The screeners obviously dont know the first thing about photography...

I can accept high standards no problem, but with the amount of absolute sheit that gets put on that site every single day, its just too much...

JP.net owns, although i wish a bit higher res could be used!

greets
              /Chris

Comment

I congratulate those who have chocen to remove their pictures from airliners.net, I did it as well. Why should we waste our time trying to improve pictures that are nice shots although not photographically technically perfect? If we wanted that we'd be hanging out at photographic sites rather than aviation sites!

Why also waste time trying to improve the site? It's clear that Johan isnt' interested in that, my banning from airliners.net is a perfect example of that. Additionalloy, he lost his 4th largest uploader by his own actions, he has no one to blame but himself although I'm convinced he's incapable of realising that and is blaming everyone but himself (who is in effect the cause).

I don't think that airliners.net is important enough to get worked up over, jetphotos offers EVERYTHING that airliners.net offers except the high volume and I think that will very shortly change.

This attitude that "they'll come back as we know we are the best" is old, tired and worn out. Come back? I dont' even hit airliners.net anymore, I dont' need to, everything I want to see is here at jetphotos up to 4 weeks before it's at airliners.net.

There is no prestige to uploading to airliners.net, some members of their team have absolutely no respect for the photographers who DONATE their images to make the site what it is today, their head moderator issued an eMail that complained that jetphotos.net pictures were upstaging airliners.net pictures. Johan refers to jetphotos as the "wannabe site" and bans users from the forums for mentioning it. Hepkat was introducing a "Jay Davis Rule" which stops users from linking jetphotos pictures onto airliners.net forums, again disrespectful in the extreme ... (wonder if they ever found who passed that on?).

I could go on and on and on, but why bother? It was easier to tell Johan exactly what I thought and move my patronage over here. Johans BELATED banning did nothing but prove that my decision was the correct one and I applaud anyone who chooses the same course of action.

ADG
                No makeovers please .....

Comment

well put adg.

Comment

Thanks Chris_SE .. just wish I could spell

ADG
                    ADG

Comment

Hello. I also have come from a.net Now, I think it is ridiculous to charge $5 to discuss topics especially the non-aviation forum. That forum has NOTHING to do with aviation so why should anyone pay for that. That is why I have come to Jetphotos. Jetphotos also has good pictures and besides, the forums are free. I wish Jetphotos good luck as it is a fantastic site.

-Alan
                      Compañia Mexicana De Aviación S.A. De C.V. - "La Primera Siempre Será La Primera"

Comment

Wow....this is turning into one of the most active threads talking about airliners.net!!

I've got over 750 on a.net and I get rejections too. But I'm not giving up. Some rejections are easily fixable and others have to do with the way it was shot. I can accept that. Some of the newer photographers get frustrated quickly and give up but I think you have to learn good editing skills (and scanning if you shoot film/slide). Sure, my quality went up when I got the D30 1 year ago this week, but it went up even more over the last 12 months when I learned new techniques in shooting and editing. I think high quality standards are a good thing. I wish there were higher standards here too. I have seen a lot of pics on here that really are kind of bad though it looks like its improving a bit lately.

Another thing is I hope more can be done to "sell" this site to the people who like plane pics out there - we dont seem to be getting a lot of hits compared to the Big Gorilla (a.net) I wish we could get more on here......

I upload to both and a lot of times cant see the value of all of the criticism they get. Had some pics added over there within a couple hours of uploading today in fact Where I'm not uploading much anymore is pp.net because I rarely get any views there!
                        View my photos at JP.Net
                        Home Airport: Jackson - Evers Int'l (JAN) - Jackson, MS
                        Camera: Canon 50D, 100-400L/17-85 lenses

Comment

Bruce,

The issue isn't with the youngsters complaining, your points are valid there. The issue is with those who are professionals, who do know what is/isn't required to get a picture accepted, who are putting up valid complaints.

Are you aware that one of the screeners resigned over the issue? He felt that the screening process was flawed, and took issue with it. One issue that springs to mind is a picture that was rejected for "bad info". The information was *clearly* visible on the plane said the screener who rejected it and when asked what it said the screener gave an identification that was *clearly* visible on the plane. When that ID was used as a lookup it very specifically indicated that the screener had read it wrong, thus proving it wasn't *clearly* visible at all. Even in light of that, the issue was not conceeded.

Obviously there are problems there, Johan is aware of them but rather than address them he'll frustrate people to the point where they resign their screening position and Johan would rather be angry with them than take that on board and review the issue.

The problems do exist and they have nothing to do with the experience/lack of experience of the uploaders.

I'd rather spend my time on a site where I have a reasonable chance of getting my pictures online, i'm not after *prestige* but pictures online

ADG
                          ADG

Comment

Airliners.net is not about the screeners. It's about views! Who cares who screens the pictures? and who resigns other then the screeners themselves? Heroes in their own minds some of them. Hard working, and skilled I am sure, but seldom does an uploader know who screened his shot, nor do the visitors who look at them, or the people that write to us asking to buy them.

It's just a game getting images uploaded here and there. The thing is who wants to play a game you can win every time, vs. one that is more of a challenge and keeps your skills sharp?

Come on, they are just airplanes after all. Want to shoot something hard, try people. The site is just extra spending money for Johan, I am sure he laughs all the way to the bank, as well he should. People like me pay .17cents a day to have hundreds or thousands of people look at our images. He gets people to pay advertising rates, he pays for bandwidth and hardware. No brain surgery here, and this aint the "Hokey Pokey". He IS making money, and THAT! is what it's all about. It's called marketing.

If Chris were wise, there would be a fee structure here as well, along with a lot stricter standards . Tons of the stuff here is way below average in terms of photographic skill. It's the same as the difference between the new car lot and the back row of the used car lot. Hated to say it, but I did.

Not letting anyone post their 2 cents with out paying their 2 cents is a smart move on Johan's part. Most of the stuff I read there, and here for that matter in the Non-AV form is a buch of Hooey any way. I have written my share and it amazes me the way people respond. You can get people's panties in a wad fast if you want. Fun to watch! Why even bother with an Off Topic or Non-Av forum in the first place?

My 2cents! PAID for at Anet.

v/r
                            Jeff :P

Comment

I agree Jeff, the non-av forum seemed like a bunch of teenagers in some stupid aol chatroom.

As for getting views, hey - we dont get money for putting our pics here or there, all we get is to be seen by airliner fans around the world and its even nicer when one of them comments on a pic so we know they liked it. Why do you think Artists put their paintings in a gallery - so people can view them! And those people who "just" shoot to get pics on sites like these, well why not? You want to take pics of planes and show them to people all over the world. They'll get seen by more people on these sites than sitting in a shoebox full of slides under the bed!

yep....it's all about the views, baby!
                              View my photos at JP.Net
                              Home Airport: Jackson - Evers Int'l (JAN) - Jackson, MS
                              Camera: Canon 50D, 100-400L/17-85 lenses

Comment

In the short time I have been contributing pictures to this site - I have had more hits in total than 2 years worth of pictures on anet. (i also have more pictures here though

However I will keep sending pictures to both despite the forum problems - anet is still (currently) the biggest aviation photo site around although that is changing over time. ADG mentioned the moderator who imho is a major problem in the non-av forum with his attitude - if he were 'sacked' then I feel the situation would improve.

AGD - having read your final post and the flak you used to get in the forum - I am surprised you took it for so long and your decision (and Glenn's ) to remove your pictures was a brave one. The fact the Johan did nothing to address your concerns left you with little choice and as more and more top quality photographers move here, he may realise something is wrong. Unfortunately with people still joining and uploading I doubt he will. (which screener resigned btw?? - surely that must tell Johan something)

I am not really interested in making money from images I have on line although if somebody want to purchase one then I am not going to say no.
                                It is nice though when comments/emails are received about a particular picture, it means that somebody has taken the time to look at a picture and decide it is worth commenting on and that means a lot.

Comment

Working...
                                X