UV filter and night photography

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• UV filter and night photography

The question is simple, using the UV filter for night photography will cause lens flare or any other sort of problem? Shall I remove it when shooting at night (behind glass)

Thanks!

It makes no difference, but I suppose trying for yourself is out of the question?

Comment

Originally posted by JeffinDEN
      It makes no difference, but I suppose trying for yourself is out of the question?
      I tried some with the filter and I got flare in shots with strong light sources. I will try myself but I was just wondering and asking you nice people. =D

Comment

Wont make any difference. With a digital camera it just serves for protection, as the camera has UV filtration built in. The reason why you get flare is because the filter doesn't have the proper coatings to minimize it.

Comment

Originally posted by JeffinDEN
          It's just so much easier to live through others experiences.

Comment

Anybody know if this is a "normal" flare? I just have a UV lens on the front of my cam -- I'm fairly confident the lens has a malfunction so I'm taking it back to Canon
            [photoid=423116]

Comment

I have had wierd things with my UV filter and night shots. Mainly these aurora shots:

See those circles in the centre?
              These were not objects on my lens, but just a wierd effect the UV filter does.

There we have lens flare from a streetlight as well

Flare with a weak version of Ian's Rainbow issue This was the only photo that ever had that wierd rainbow halo.

And yes, those houses are built like Triangles!

Comment

Huh, thats weired. Looks like that is something wrong with the glass on the filter in the center of it as the bulls eye thing is right in the center of the image. What brand of filter are you using?

As for the rainbow thing, I'm not sure. But it only seems to appear in an area with intense light. Are your filters multi-coated?

Comment

Yes, I have multicoted filters. Hoya's.

This effect has been seen on many cameras, it has to do with the energy released in auroras. It was not a problem with my camera, as I had submitted them to an aviation forum and they confirmed it is just an effect from the auroras light .

As for the rainbows, I have no clue either.

Comment

Andrew,

That "effect" you got on the last shot is just the one I am having (the difference is the rainbow halo, which I don't get, at least so far), mostly because of the illumination towers that in the end have the same effect when lens flare is regarded.

Comment

That's some big a$$ lens flare Thought it was the Northern Lights or something at first

Back on topic - I always take my lens filter off when shooting bright lights (fireworks etc), night shots or in low lighting conditions, just to be safe.

Dale

Comment

Originally posted by G-DALE
                        Back on topic - I always take my lens filter off when shooting bright lights (fireworks etc), night shots or in low lighting conditions, just to be safe.

Dale
                        and we all know that you've got the best filter on your lens

Comment

Originally posted by B7772ADL
                          and we all know that you've got the best filter on your lens
                          Tell me about it

Dale

Comment

Fireworks are a bugger to shoot mainly because the camera usualy picks up the light meter reading from the least bright part then gets all sorts of lens flare. I dont ususaly have many problems when shooting night shots leaving my Hoyer Pro Multicoated II UV filter on, although it really does depend on the source of light and what you are shooting. Your best bet is to try some shots with the filter on and then with it off.

Comment

Originally posted by kaddyuk
                              Always remove the UV Filter when shooting at the night, it removes the amount of glass the light has to go through to reach the sensor, which can only improve things

Are those the fireworks from my house dale? I still havnt even looked at those pictures from that night... LoL!
                              It was seeing that shot on the LCD which made me take the lens filter off. The results I got as soon as I did that they were lens flare free

Yup those are from your house in mid-November last year LOL

Dale

Comment

Working...
                              X