How many ATC types are here?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many ATC types are here?

Just wondering how many ATC people are here in the forums. I am a controller in Texas, if anyone has a general ATC question I will do my best to answer. I cannot answer questions like "why was my airplane delayed on XX date and time". I will only answer general questions to the best of my ability. Any other controllers out there willing to help?
    Thanks.
    Scott.
    My photos at JP.net

National Air Traffic Controllers Association

I've completed 3 out of the 4 required ATC courses here at Riddle which will qualify me for the CTI program.

Its actually one of the most popular programs here at riddle. You will truly see who loves flying because as soon as they see the money that controllers make they all jump. I'm doing it for a required minor but I know its not for me.
    Try to catch me flyin dirty...

Comment

Originally posted by atcvector
      Just wondering how many ATC people are here in the forums. I am a controller in Texas, if anyone has a general ATC question I will do my best to answer. I cannot answer questions like "why was my airplane delayed on XX date and time". I will only answer general questions to the best of my ability. Any other controllers out there willing to help?
      Thanks.
      Scott.
      I was just wondering if you think ATC is a stressful job , since you hav to deal with accurate landing and departing queues all the time? And, where do you receive your training, from the airport or somewhere else??
      James_2005

Comment

I'm a controller as well. I work at NAS New Orleans. Hoping to make it to the big time in the near future.
        "I use mulit-billion dollar military satellite systems to find tupperware in the woods."

Comment

I'm starting the ATC program at Community College of Beaver County in June.
          My photos on jp.net

Comment

atco posted in the Jetsgo threads and his signature stated that he's an Air Traffic Controller in Toronto so that's another one.

-Sturla

Comment

Originally posted by James747
              I was just wondering if you think ATC is a stressful job , since you hav to deal with accurate landing and departing queues all the time? And, where do you receive your training, from the airport or somewhere else??
              The airport where I work (AMA) is not that busy to worry about departure times. We do quite a bit of military practice approaches from all type of mostly USAF airplanes. Our runway is 13,500 feet long and 300 feet wide. My job here is not that stressful. We do have our moments of very busy traffic where it seems like all of the airplanes are here at once. It usually only last for about an hour then we are back down to pretty much nothing. I am sure that the controllers in ATL, ORD, DEN, JFK, DFW etc. will tell you that their job has much more stress involved with what they do. Those guys get paid the most too. I became a controller before the CTI program. I went to the FAA screening program. It was a 3 month long program with a washout rate of 60 to 70 percent. After the screen I went to my first facility for on the job training. OJT can last from 1 to 4 years depending on where you work. Center controllers usually have the longest OJT time. The FAA recently hired quite a few military controllers and CTI program people as well. The rate of hiring is not nearly enough to meet the soon to come mass retirement of controllers. Almost half of the controller workforce will be able to retire within the next 4 to 5 years.

Scott.
              My photos at JP.net

Comment

So do you have to work your way up to places like MSP, DEN, DTW, ORD, JFK, LGA etc...

Or do you get to choose where you go, or do they assign you like the military???

Comment

Originally posted by chrisburns
                  So do you have to work your way up to places like MSP, DEN, DTW, ORD, JFK, LGA etc...

Or do you get to choose where you go, or do they assign you like the military???
                  For the most part you get assigned to your first facility and then you can bid on other facilities as positions open up. You might get assigned to a center as your first facility or you may get assigned to some smaller facility. It all depends on where they need people. NATCA is trying to get the FAA to stick with the agreement that new hires will be placed in less busy facilities and allows the current controllers a chance for a promotion to the higher level towers, tracon, centers.
                  My photos at JP.net

Comment

We have our moments of traffic down here too, but like ATCvector said, it only lasts about an hour then we are back to staring out the windows at an empty sky. However, we just got runway 4/22 extended to 10,000' so we hope to see some larger heavier traffic come and tear up our traffic patterns.
                    "I use mulit-billion dollar military satellite systems to find tupperware in the woods."

Comment

Originally posted by NBGTowerGuy
                      We have our moments of traffic down here too, but like ATCvector said, it only lasts about an hour then we are back to staring out the windows at an empty sky. However, we just got runway 4/22 extended to 10,000' so we hope to see some larger heavier traffic come and tear up our traffic patterns.
                      Maybe you can get a couple of the B-52's from Barksdale to come visit you now. Have fun.
                      My photos at JP.net

Comment

Just out of interest, how much do you get paid compared to ppl in JFK, LHR, etc??
                        James_2005

Comment

I am hoping for some of those, but mostly I am waiting for an F22 from Tyndall AFB, and maybe one of those Russian cargo planes.

Comment

sweet, more people that actually know what they're talkin about. Welcome to the forum guys. Really appreciate what you do.

Comment

Jess (MemphisBelle) is studying ATC here at Riddle....too bad she's banned from this forum for a while.

-Pete
                              Pete Ganabathi
                              Embry Riddle Aeronautical University

Fly Frontier Airlines - A Whole Different Animal

Comment

Working...
                              X