Meigs 2 years later: It's for the birds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Meigs 2 years later: It's for the birds

hicago-area airports have failed to recapture a majority of flights lost when Mayor Richard M. Daley abruptly closed Meigs Field two years ago this week to make way for a park project that has yet to materialize.

Federal Aviation Administration (FAA) figures show that flights by corporate jets and other so-called general aviation aircraft into and out of the city's two remaining airports and three others in the area rose by an estimated 10,500 over the last two years. During its heyday, Meigs handled 30,000 to 40,000 flights annually.

- The baby will be back -

A stupid narrow minded move then and always will be.
    Who's on first?..........

Comment

What wrong with Richard M. Daley?

Comment

Originally posted by pbateson
        He's the one who closed Meigs.
        - The baby will be back -

Comment

Meigs is sorely missed, but it's always fun landing there in FS, especially with a 747

Comment

When I was in Chicago for thanksgiving I went out to where it used to be. You get an incredible view of the city (still pissed at myself for not bringing my camera that day). That guy is such a douche.

Comment

Originally posted by pbateson
              HE is a rediculous prick with no intention of running his city with any long term goals. Politicians like him are the ones who make so many normal Americans hate Republicans.
              THE VOICE OF REASON HAS SPOKEN!
              Pop quiz: Which US president said, "Saddam Hussein has spent the better part of this decade, and much of his nation's wealth, not on providing for the Iraqi people, but on developing nuclear, chemical and biological weapons and the missiles to deliver them."
              George W. Bush is not correct. It was Bill Clinton in his 1998 State of the Union speech. HMMMMMMMMM.

Comment

Originally posted by wannabepilot777
                Politicians like him are the ones who make so many normal Americans hate Republicans.
                What/ that makes no sense. Daley is a Democrat....

Comment

Originally posted by Greg
                  What/ that makes no sense. Daley is a Democrat....
                  AH, in that case he is the type of guy that makes me hate democrats!
                  Pop quiz: Which US president said, "Saddam Hussein has spent the better part of this decade, and much of his nation's wealth, not on providing for the Iraqi people, but on developing nuclear, chemical and biological weapons and the missiles to deliver them."
                  George W. Bush is not correct. It was Bill Clinton in his 1998 State of the Union speech. HMMMMMMMMM.

Comment

You would think the people of Chicago would have learned from past Daly administrations, but I guess not. He not only destroyed a great little airport he destroyed part of Chicago's history, totally erased it off the map.

It’s great that the Marine Air Terminal and the TWA terminal are historic city landmarks in New York; they'll be around a long time and won't suffer the same fate as Megis. As for Megis I hope they develope into something the people of Chicago can use.

Comment

Why did he close it?

Recently all I can hear is that ORD is full, and that there are no gates, andthat is overcrowded and that they need more space and that it is incredibly hard to get a slot there! Why would you close another airport aht could aleviate some of the ORD traffic?

In an ideal world, Meigs could be used for business and private travel.

Midway could be for most domestic and LCC service with a rapid transport(train) between it and ORD.

ORD could be for most international service and AA and UA service!
                      Whatever is necessary, is never unwise.

Comment

Originally posted by AA 1818
                        Why did he close it?
                        I am not particulary well versed in this matter, but I belive it had something to do with not getting funding for ORD, so he made the move and in the middle of the night, he had a crew go out and rip giant "X"s down the entire runway. The peope who worked there showed up stunned at the site and the FAA had to grant permission for the aircraft on the ground to takeoff from the taxiway.

Also, from what I understand, he had complained about the noise of the planes flying over his house. So now there is an ugly black mark where there once was a vital economic inlet, not to mention an airport that could relive some of the congestion at ORD.

This has a different account. It shows what a slimy bastard this mayor really is.

These people haven't given up fighting, and I hope they never do.

Comment

Originally posted by AA 1818
                          Why did he close it?

"terrorism" and the fact that he was mad because he doesnt know how to fly a planbe Dick, hes not even good enough to be a democrat, let alone a republican. Then he wonders why O'Hare and Midway are so crouded. Dipshit.

Comment

Originally posted by chrisburns
                            "hes not even good enough to be a democrat, let alone a republican.
                            Sorry, Topher, a Republican would realize what a dumb move, economicly, this would have been. If for no other reason than because it is nice for them to fly their Gulfstreams into a private feild as opposed to ORD or MDW!

Comment

Originally posted by wannabepilot777
                              Sorry, Topher, a Republican would realize what a dumb move, economicly, this would have been.
                              a sixth grader could have seen it was a stupid move.
                              sigpic
                              http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

Working...
                              X