X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 12 NW planes struck by lightning @ MSP

From Northwest Airlines Newswire:

Lightning in MSP Strikes 12 Aircraft

Lightning hit 12 aircraft at Minneapolis/St. Paul Wednesday when an early spring storm rolled through the area. At publication time, the damage to the aircraft was classified as light. The aircraft were removed from service and will be returned to service as repairs are completed. A groundstop was called earlier in the day affecting 10 mainline and 19 Airlink flights.
    This kinda sucks, though i heard that Delta had about 20 of theirs struck in Atlanta the other day.

A friend in MSP told me a Mesaba SF340 was blown halfway or completely around while on the tarmac in a recent strom, im guessing this is not true and impossible?
    sigpic
    http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=170

Comment

A few years back, AA had a couple dozen planes damaged by large hail at DFW. I can't imagine what it cost to have all that fixed.
      Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Originally posted by Crunk415balla
        A friend in MSP told me a Mesaba SF340 was blown halfway or completely around while on the tarmac in a recent strom, im guessing this is not true and impossible?
        Unless heavy rain of ping-pong ball sized hails peppered the Saab. This becomes another story as for the metal skin which is not just dented !

Alain
        Thanks for visiting
        *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
        *JetPhotos*
        Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

thats gross
          Administrator Virtual PIA
          www.vpia.com
          Administrator Saudia Virtual
          www.saudia-va.com

Comment

Originally posted by PT737SWA
            A few years back, AA had a couple dozen planes damaged by large hail at DFW. I can't imagine what it cost to have all that fixed.

We got hit twice by hail here in COS taking an NW 727 to MSP, we taxied out then started hailing, of course you have to go back and check for damages, then it got sunny while they looked at it, taxied out again, did the same thing. Eventually we got off to MSP.

Comment

Originally posted by Crunk415balla
              sure its possible, remember that there are quite a few surfaces on the aircraft that are designed to produce some sort of force when the wind hits them. A strong enough wind from a thunder storm to the vertical stabilizer could easily create enough yawing force to turn a plane.

Comment

Originally posted by screaming_emu
                sure its possible, remember that there are quite a few surfaces on the aircraft that are designed to produce some sort of force when the wind hits them. A strong enough wind from a thunder storm to the vertical stabilizer could easily create enough yawing force to turn a plane.
                August 2002 at PHX, a severe storm lifted a Kitty Hawk 727 from its chocks, and pushed it backwards about 50 feet until the tail hit the cargo complex. I was there the week after, it really messed the place up.
                Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Reminds me of a story here a few months ago. Very windy and rainy.... a Caravan on floats which was unchocked and brake wasnt set, started to "yaw" and roll down the ramp, I noticed it out of the corner of my eye from in the building and thought "oh hes leaving".....then I noticed no prop was spinning. So I chased the aircraft and got infront using all my strength to stop it, I did, then plopped some chocks down.

The funny thing was, when I got back inside, one of the pilots from a diverted lear goes "Did that plane just move on its own, becuase last I remember, wasnt it parked over there?" LOL.
                  Ryan Davis
                  Admin, FlyerGuide.Net
                  www.flyerguide.net

Comment

definitely possible. i get emails from work all the time of aircraft damages and mishaps. in one of them, a CO 757 (which was chocked at the gate) got blown by 50+ MPH winds in EWR, turning the plane a complete 90 degrees until the left wingtip struck the jetway. the whole thing was caught on tape by the gates video feed.
                    Work Right, Fly Hard.

Comment

Working...
                    X