• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New proposed startup aims MSY as hub

Startup airline proposed for Armstrong International

Greater Baton Rouge Business Report

March 31, 2005

A new low-fare airline to be called DirectAir is proposing to fly a fleet of 50 Boeing 737s out of New Orleans' airport. It is projecting flights to 41 U.S., Canadian, and Latin American cities; as well as regional service to six Louisiana airports, including Baton Rouge. The airline envisions 150 daily departures from Armstrong International. That would nearly double air traffic at the airport. In a best-case scenario, DirectAir could be operational by the fall of 2006. Eventually, if demand justifies it, regional Louisiana airports could also get direct flights to major destinations.

John Miller, the moving force behind the Country Club of Louisiana who has been retained by DirectAir Holdings to assemble the airline deal, says the startup is counting on participation from the state, but adds that the state would not be expected to put up anything until the airline is up and running, and DirectAir will not require a subsidy. Any public money would be in the form of a loan. DirectAir would also not require any new terminal construction; Armstrong has enough unused capacity, Miller says. (Hal Cohen)
    Us, lighting a living horse on fire:
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH2_Q3oJPeU

Check it out!

Re:

Good luck to the airline.

Foxtrot

Comment

who in their right mind could think its a good idea to start up an airline nowaday.

Comment

Does this startup have a website?

Originally posted by screaming_emu
        who in their right mind could think its a good idea to start up an airline nowaday.
        David Neeleman? :P

Comment

50 a/c!!! Where are they gona get those?

Comment

Boeing.

Comment

Originally posted by expoITHscohen
              50 a/c!!! Where are they gona get those?
              Mojave, Marana, Victoville, Kingman, Mirabel, Tuscon, the possibilities are endless.
              And on topic of the airline: I'll believe it when I actually see a real non-photoshopped picture of them.

Comment

Is this an April Fool post?
                Next:
                None Planned

Comment

Originally posted by CathayPacific
                  Is this an April Fool post?
                  If you look at the date of the news release, it's not. And this new airline is essentially the combination of two other startups (Louisiana Air and ?) that have been proposed for months, if not years.

Comment

Its about time Louisiana gets its own hub. However, like the other posters, I will belive it when I see it.
                    "I use mulit-billion dollar military satellite systems to find tupperware in the woods."

Comment

Originally posted by NBGTowerGuy
                      Its about time Louisiana gets its own hub.
                      We've had a the very-short-lived Pride Air... as well as focus cities by USair[ways] and especially Delta in the past. Delta stated in writing that they would've picked us over DFW for a full hub if the state/city of New Orleans had approved on-shore gambling in the early 80s.

All were really just based on O&D though... this will be the first to address both that while catering toward transfer as well. Should be interesting.

Oh, that, and TransCaribbean (http://www.flytca.com), the startup which burned us two years ago, refuses to die as well.

Check it out!

Comment

Can anyone find a website for this new startup?

Comment

The proposal was just made public a few days ago, and there don't seem to be any investers lined up except for the progenitor.... so maybe in the future.

Like most others, I'm taking a believe-it-10minutes-after-I-see-it approach, particularly considering the blantant lack of success most post-JetBlue startups have experience.

Heck, I'm still gonna be surprised if that new Virgin proposal gets off the ground, or if Primaris actually takes delivery of those 787s Boeing's been touting.

Check it out!

Comment

I just think it's retarded to base an airline in a city that is notorious for fog, hurricanes, & floods.
                            Follow me on Twitter! www.twitter.com/flyingphotog

Comment

Originally posted by ConcordeBoy
                              We've had a the very-short-lived Pride Air... as well as focus cities by USair[ways] and especially Delta in the past. Delta stated in writing that they would've picked us over DFW for a full hub if the state/city of New Orleans had approved on-shore gambling in the early 80s.

All were really just based on O&D though... this will be the first to address both that while catering toward transfer as well. Should be interesting.

Oh, that, and TransCaribbean (http://www.flytca.com), the startup which burned us two years ago, refuses to die as well.
                              I remember Pride Air, fleet : some 727-100s and 200s, year of operation 1985, used to fly to MIA.

TCA, it's "only" the third of its kind (!) the original being the nice liveried DC.8 operator in the 60s.

Let's bet should Direct will last longer than Pride.

Alain
                              Thanks for visiting
                              *Avimage's Monthly Slide list *
                              *JetPhotos*
                              Airliners*Pbase.com

Comment

Working...
                              X