Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

American Airlines gets green signal for India ops; OS agreement to be made official

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• American Airlines gets green signal for India ops; OS agreement to be made official

American Airlines got approval for starting flights between India and the U.S. While the article doesn't mention anything else about AA, it does include NW's new direct service between MSP and BLR. Till then, I guess we can start guessing on what Indian airports AA intends to fly to/from. BOM and DEL come to mind anyone?

Also, the new OS treaty will be declared official when Norman Mineta goes to India in mid-April.

Read all about it:

Source: http://economictimes.indiatimes.com/...17,curpg-1.cms

Foxtrot

I guess it's more of a question of "Via which city will AA fly?", cause the most certainly won't go nonstop. AMS and CDG can be excluded, being Skyteam hubs and already well served by KL and NW (AMS), and AF, DL, AI and soon Jet (CDG). Rumor on a.net says via BRU, although there despite SNBA I see a lack of feed. Perhaps via LHR, although that city is also well-served. Hm, tough choice, but I'll guess I'll go with BRU, simply because that market doesn't have any India service.

Oh, and I hope Delta will make good use of the soon happening open skies. If they start less than FRA-BOM and CDG-DEL, I will be disappointed.

Comment

Re:

There's enough room for more n/s's between India and LHR, 'cause demand is still outplaying supply. So AA can go via LHR, and why wouldn't it? That's where it has its major Euro operation, w/ easy connections to all of its U.S. hubs. And I would definitely consider flying AA since the DFW hub's just 175 miles from where I live, and I can also get a mainliner flight to/from OKC. 9W was originally going to operate flights via BRU, but opted for CDG instead.

DL would need to do a plane re-shuffle (correct me if I'm wrong) to get more frequencies between BOM and the U.S. Especially now that two more of its 763ER's will be flying between JFK and MAA.

Foxtrot

Comment

I think a German city would be great, such as Munich and Berlin, not only would it be from a city that doesnt have service to India but allows them to open up other European cities which they yet to fly to.
        - The baby will be back -

Comment

If AA route via LHR, could BA codeshare on the LHR-India leg. Could be a way of them getting more flights through 'the back door'
          The upgraded Air Humberside
          NOW WITH FORUM
          NEW! Air Humberside Photos @ Fotopic
          The NEW UK Airport News

My pictures at PlaneSpotters.net

Comment

Originally posted by Foxtrot
            DL would need to do a plane re-shuffle (correct me if I'm wrong) to get more frequencies between BOM and the U.S. Especially now that two more of its 763ER's will be flying between JFK and MAA.

Foxtrot
            Actually, the new MAA service requires only 1 additional 763ER. As for new flights, remember that DL still has 8 763ERs used in domestic configuration, not to mention regular domestic ER service on JFK-LAX (soon gone for Song) and CVG-LAX, plus positioning flights JFK-CVG/ATL. With LAX loosing 763ER service, it would free up at least 1 763ER that could be used for FRA-BOM. Also, in the winter off-season when DL needs some 6-7 ERs less, they could already start additional India service (as they did this past winter), and also use the off-season to reconfigure all or some domestic ERs back to int'l configuration.
            Originally posted by babypurin
            I think a German city would be great, such as Munich and Berlin, not only would it be from a city that doesnt have service to India but allows them to open up other European cities which they yet to fly to.
            Forget Berlin, AA doesn't even fly there, and with both CO and DL now soon flying there, the Berlin-US market is already (over-)saturated.
            AA doesn't fly to MUC either, and FRA also only sees a measly 2 flights, not to mention that neither are there many slots available, especially not for the right times, and Lufthansa would go berserk if AA got Germany-India rights.

Comment

Re:

Yeah, no way AA's getting rights between Germany and India. LH owns that one. AI's catching up, but LH still has the upper hand.

Still waiting on MUC-BOM-MUC...

Foxtrot

Comment

I sincerely doubt AA is planning to "waste" Heathrows slot on India.

Why on Earth would they choose to utilize two or more of the most valuable slots in the aviation world to fly to an 'open' market which is soon-to-experience untold competition (i.e., LHR-India), as a new entrant..... when they could use those slots to instead open another route on a heavily-restricted yield-protected market such as (LHR-USA) where they already have tons of market influence and recognition??
                Us, lighting a living horse on fire:
                http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dH2_Q3oJPeU

Check it out!

Comment

Working...
                X