"Does Europe Hate Us?"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by screaming_emu
    I'd be willing to bet that a majority of the people in here that are saying "no, the europeans are full of crap and hate us all" have never even talked to someone from europe, let alone been there.
    What's more, it's not like all Europeans agree on matters like these. In fact, most Europeans agree on hardly anything, let alone on what I just said...

With respect to the talking part: this forum is as good a place to start as anywhere. There's plenty of members from all over the world, as far as I know.

Paul (from Holland)

Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Originally posted by herpa2003
      Common thing that people do to us Republicans is to write us off as non-travelling illiterate rednecks. They couldn't be more wrong...
      Well, as much as you might not want to admit it, stereotypes often exist for a reason. Not saying that everybody is like that, but a lot are.

Comment

Before this spirals out of control:

No, Europe doesn't hate the US. In fact, Germans tend to think very highly of Americans. Sure, they tend to chuckle a little about the whole obesity/fast food thing and the air conditioning-turned-to-the-max in cars, houses and all other buildings, but they do admire Americans too. There is no resistance to American movies, food, music, or brands. In fact many embrace it. Reference to American things, especially in literature, usually positive - unless it's something to do with recent American politics.

Having said that, I think that the past few years American external affairs politics were a bit of an eye-opener for many Europeans. To best describe the feeling that many Europeans have toward the States, I would say it's kind of like that kind, friendly relative that you haven't seen for a few years, who you run into at a family reunion just find out that he's picked up a few bad habits like smoking and drinking heavily and getting into fights all the time. You still love him for the relative that he is, but you really wish he'd change back into the person he was before - for everybody's sake.

I think some Americans may think that there's a ra-ra anti-American attitude in old-Europe. The truth is, most Europeans are too busy going about their everyday business. Sure, there's been a lot of discussion in the past couple of years about politics etc. but for your average Joe it's limited to exactly that - discussion. Activism is rare, or at least no more significant than in the States. And European governments aren't really into rocking the boat either. Economics have united and will coninue to unite North America and Europe. The markets are far too intertwined for there to be any serious falling out between the two continents. Sure there may be some media hype (on both sides) here and there, but neiter side can really afford to disgruntle consumers on the other side.

The bottom line is: don't believe the hype.

On a side note: it's interesting to see, just how effective convincing a country's population that another country disapproves of them, is at having people adopt an "I don't give a sh** what they think about us" attitude. The media can rile up people's anger in defence, without there ever having been an antagonist. A few of the posts in this thread are prime examples of that.

Comment

Well, as much as you might not want to admit it, stereotypes often exist for a reason. Not saying that everybody is like that, but a lot are.
          So there's a valid reason for me thinking that all liberals are Stalin-loving Commies?
          Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

Good Post AC_A340-500. A very realistic viewpoint on all of this.
            http://www.aircraftinaction.co.uk/

Comment

So there's a valid reason for me thinking that all liberals are Stalin-loving Commies?

Not that my post has anything to do with anything, but neither Stalin nor Commies are/were liberal... t'was McCarthy propaganda, that's all.

Comment

I dont think that's really a comonly held stereotype though. I had a couple russian friends when I lived in Germany and they were really cool and had a lot of questions about the US.

Comment

I dont think that's really a comonly held stereotype though. I had a couple russian friends when I lived in Germany and they were really cool and had a lot of questions about the US.
                  "So, tell me about the military bases...."

"What are the access codes for the missile sites?"

"What units are deployed where?"

Fly Raleigh-Durham International, with direct flights on Air Canada, AirTran, American Airlines, American Eagle, America West, Continental Airlines, Continental Express, Delta Airlines, Delta Connection, jetBlue, Northwest Airlines, Southwest Airlines, United Express and US Airways to:

ATL, AUS, BWI, BOS, CHS, CLT, MDW, ORD, CVG, CLE, DFW, DTW, FLL, BDL, HOU, IND, LAS, LAX, LGW, MEM, MIA, MSP, BNA, EWR, MSY, JFK, LGA, ORF, MCO, PHL, PHX, PIT, STL, SLC, TPA, YYZ, DCA and IAD.

Comment

Dont you call me some g-d damed RED, Im not a commie. How dare you....
                    -Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by ACman
                      Dont you call me some g-d damed RED, Im not a commie. How dare you....
                      And I'm not a gay hating, uneducated redneck. See what stereotypes do to people...?

Comment

And I'm not a gay hating, uneducated redneck. See what stereotypes do to people...?
                        Yes, just like your "stereotype" about LIBERALS. Im not a commie.
                        -Kevin

Comment

Originally posted by ACman
                          Yes, just like your "stereotype" about LIBERALS. Im not a commie.
                          No, my point was that not all stereotypes are accurate. It was a response to Emu's post that there is a grain of truth in stereotypes....

Comment

It was a response to Emu's post that there is a grain of truth in stereotypes....
                            No, not all stereotypes have truth in them, some do.
                            -Kevin

Comment

an Excellent sterios type, Asians in NZ cant drive, may be harsh, but theres a lot of truth to it, over half of them suck at driving, they assume they have right of way, they use the wrong indicator.
                              Sam Rudge
                              A 5D3, some Canon lenses, the Sigma L and a flash

Comment

Originally posted by UFOSPACE99
                                "Does Europe Hate Us?"
                                Meh... as a european, I don't :P Just the ones that think Denmark is the capital of Stockholm... :/

By the way... how on Earth did this topic change into a conversation about who hates people from Texas? That's freaky! o_O

Comment

Working...
                                X