• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fairchild Dornier 728-100?

It never been fly?

Originally posted by pbateson
    It never been fly?
    It never will. With the latest incarnation of F-D going bankrupt and the assets sold off (including the 728 prototype), the program is dead. Avcraft is still building the 328JET in Germany, they had no interest in any of the other F-D a/c programs.

Comment

Originally posted by srbmod
      It never will. With the latest incarnation of F-D going bankrupt and the assets sold off (including the 728 prototype), the program is dead. Avcraft is still building the 328JET in Germany, they had no interest in any of the other F-D a/c programs.
      Yeah i posted about it a while ago, would have came out 1-2 years before the ERJ170 and would have been a direct competitor with it as well. Is the prototype in a museum or whats the deal?

I remember being on there website when i knew little or nothing about aviation and hear reading about the whole new family of planes (728, 828, 928 ) and thinking, "this wont ever fly", and im serious.
      -Kevin

Comment

FD never had plans for a 828Jet.
        The 328Jet was the main header of the first German aviation magazine I've bought, which lead to a "click" in my mind and increased my aviation interest by 500%. Anyway, in one of the following editions, there was an indepth article about the 728Jet, and how Lufthansa had just confirmed an order for 60+60 options, and at that moment I thought "That must be the breakthrough for FD!" I was confident of this. After all, they were way ahead of Embraer offered a more comfortable and spacious product than Bombardier, and had one of, if the not the, top European Airline as a launch customer. But, there was a slight problem: The plane was being produced in Germany, and unions in our great country have a way of demanding overblown wages, in this case too. So with the increased costs for employees, the 728Jet also had to cost more. The second factor was the failure of the 328Jet to deliver, and airlines were now afraid that the 728Jet wouldn't deliver as well. To make a long and painful story short, FD went BK, LH cx'd their order, and instead of seeing an aircraft family that would offer commonality from 32 seats up to 110, with the 328Jet, 428Jet, 528jet, 728Jet and 928Jet, we only see a few 328Jets flying around the world, and a single fully assembled 728Jet that never flew and was auctioned of for a measly 19 million Euros, which also marked the end of true German-built airliners .

Comment

Working...
        X