Coming Soon...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coming Soon...

I can't provide too many details or a preview at this time, but I'm excited to announce that the JetPhotos.Net team, along with noted rail photographer Chris Starnes, is hard at work on a website similar to this one for our railfan/train enthusiast brethren.

According to some unofficial statistics, train enthusiasts outnumber aviation enthusiasts by a 10 to 1 margin, and rail photography is far and away a larger hobby with a larger following than aircraft photography.

The new site will be the first of its kind on the net -- a public database where rail photographers from across the globe can show off and promote their work.

Here's a sneak preview of the site's new logo.

More details to come... [img]nod.gif[/img]

Trump is an idiot!
    Vote Democrats!!

Coming Soon...

Awesome! Big diesel trains are seriously impressive!
    I walked across an empty land
    I knew the pathway like the back of my hand
    I felt the earth beneath my feet
    Sat by the river and it made me complete

Comment

Coming Soon...

Well thats a dandy idea if I say so myself [img]idea.gif[/img]

Thats some great photography there on the banner as well...that guy must be a pro [img]images/smiles/icon_wink.gif[/img]

CTS

http://www.starnesphoto.com/aviation
      [LAX / IAD Update 2.27.07]

Comment

Coming Soon...

" rail photography is far and away a larger hobby with a larger following than aircraft photography."\

I dont see people shooting pix at railyards...but wait then again why the hell would you waste your time there if you have ORD by you? I dont understand.. [img]skeptical.gif[/img] hehe
        Legia Warszawa - Duma Stolicy Polski
        Sail the Smooth Skies to ORD with the 767-300ER

Photos: http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=5
        http://www.jetphotos.net/members/viewprofile.php?id=5

Comment

Coming Soon...

AWESOME!! I have an amtrack station in my town carbondale, and we have HUNDREDS of frieghtor go by-will definetly post pics here!!!

Comment

Coming Soon...

quote:
            Originally posted by PolishAir42:
            " rail photography is far and away a larger hobby with a larger following than aircraft photography."\

I dont see people shooting pix at railyards...but wait then again why the hell would you waste your time there if you have ORD by you? I dont understand.. [img]skeptical.gif[/img] hehe

That's because railroad tracks are literally everywhere. Airplane photographers generally congregate around airports, making recognition of other spotters and photographers rather easy, as most airports have a few select spots to shoot, like the parking lot by 27L at O'Hare.

While someone may live an hour from the closest airport, however, you can bet they've got a railroad track within a short distance, which explains partially why the hobby of rail photography is so popular. You're never too far from a railroad track.

It stands to reason, then, that while airplane photographers are normally congregated in a small area, rail photographers are more spread out around the some 200,000 miles of railroad track in the U.S.
            Trump is an idiot!
            Vote Democrats!!

Comment

Coming Soon...

Ill take your word for it...especially since ive never taken a pics of trains....i bet the security is looser though...hehehehe!
              Legia Warszawa - Duma Stolicy Polski
              Sail the Smooth Skies to ORD with the 767-300ER

Photos: http://www.jetphotos.net/showphotos.php?userid=5
              http://www.jetphotos.net/members/viewprofile.php?id=5

Comment

Coming Soon...

Well, Chris is at it again it looks, First, it was Air Disaster.com

Then came Jet Photos.net

Now its Rail Pictures.net

I am waiting for the full circle to show up - oh! here it is...

Train Disaster.com [img]laff.gif[/img]
                Coyote

Comment

Coming Soon...

Coyote:

HAHAHA! [img]laff.gif[/img]

That's one of the best things I've ever seen!

[img]clap.gif[/img]
                  Trump is an idiot!
                  Vote Democrats!!

Comment

Coming Soon...

While I do not have to many rail pics, I do have a few, mainly of the commuter (trams, light rail, ect.....) type. I will be more than happy to submit these if this is what you are looking for. Now that such a database exists, perhaps I will be more encouraged to some of these monsters on film. Afterall trains were my first love as a youngster.

Now what about.....ships?

Thomas
                    Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Coming Soon...

quote:
                      Originally posted by Coyote:
                      Train Disaster.com [img]laff.gif[/img]

Brilliant, absolutley brilliant.

Comment

Coming Soon...

Looking through various web pages that cater to 'train photography' there seems to be a lack of any centralized database specifically for train photos and what few I sites that I have viewed leave a lot to be desired, especially with navigation. Me 'thinks' you really might be onto something with this Chris.

So, aside from Chris Stames, could anyone name any other well known rail shooters? I would really like to view their work and get some point of refrence. Are there any books (specifically aimed for US enthusiasts) that cater to train photography, especially with technique as well as locomotive identification?

My only cavet with this future site is that I know almost nothing about the name and make of the various locomotives, so if I do contribute, I really need to get up to speed on learing how to identify these iron horses.

Thomas
                        Click Here to view my aircraft photos at JetPhotos.Net!

Comment

Coming Soon...

All I can say i: "Wow"!!! I'm not a train spotter myself, but I do appreciate them. I've suggested to people before that a site like that ought to be started, and asked if a site like that might already exist..but it surely didn't.

This is hot stuff.

I think you are right Chris..there's a lot of folks out there interested.

If you don't get exhausted, a Marine photo database is also not existent in such a format, and there is some degree of ship "spotting" - and certainly nice photo ops, old river boats/sunsets and all that good stuff.. I'll be watching with interest.

Comment

Coming Soon...

I hear trains all the time at my house.
                            Theres a huge CSX station about one half mile away.

My mom met a guy on a train trip through BC and he was head of a rail-club (also the conductor) she said he has his card, maybe once the site gets going I'll see if his name shows up..

Good idea, though I've never been interested in trains too much.

Maybe www.chickpictures.net next?
                            Now that WOOD err would be cool!!
                            [img]laff.gif[/img] j/k

Comment

Coming Soon...

Thomas:

I agree with you.. from what I've heard, there is no centralized photo database on the web for rail photos, which was a big motivation to get the new site started.

If you'd like to see some great rail photography, do a websearch for Ron Flanary. Aside from being a friend of Chris Starnes, he's a very reputed rail photographer, as I know I saw his work published in Trains magazine as many as 12-13 years ago.

An aside -- one of the nice things about rail locomotives is that they're easily identifiable with huge roster numbers painted all over them, visible from almost any angle (on the sides of the cabs, running light lenses, etc.) It should be just a quick matter of punching the roster number into that particular railroad's database, and seeing what it spits out. [img]nod.gif[/img]

Cicadajet:

My problem with starting a photo database for nautical craft is that I'm not knowledgable at all, and quite frankly, boats don't interest me too much. Besides, I've got quite a bit on my plate right now as it is. [img]nod.gif[/img]

As a bonus, these are the only boat photos I've ever found entertaining. Enjoy!:

http://www.airdisaster.com/towboat/
                              Trump is an idiot!
                              Vote Democrats!!

Comment

Working...
                              X