Some flights just make sense.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Some flights just make sense.

Air canada used to fly from YYC and YEG to HNL several times a week,the flights were always full even in the summer.The carrier used 767-200s for the flights,the flights stopped and havent been reinstated,but AC can fly YYZ-Lima with poor loads and keep the route going.Why???
    Fly Edmonton first.Canadas gateway to the north.

HNL routes are usually (always) low yeild... I am not suggesting that Lima is a lucrative buisness market, however, it is probably higher yeild than HNL. Its not all about load factors remember. Besides, it's easy to get an HNL flight, if AC wants to attract new customers, it takes a little more, though, perhaps the only direct flight to Lima.

Anway, it would appear that right now, for the immediate future, AC is doing what it needs to be doing, and is making money!
    - Fly United -
    My photos.

Comment

I'm sure AC would reinstate YYZ-HNL before they start the route from YEG or YYC to HNL. There are plentiful connection opportunities by connecting in YVR, which isn't very far away from YEG or YYC at all.

Comment

Not to mention the fact that AC can also make some big Canadian $$$ of the cargo in the belly of the 762. Same reason why DL now uses a 764 to LIM: The pax loads don't warrant a 764, more a 763 if not even a 762, however with the belly full of cargo, DL could operate that route with an LF of 30%, and still make money off it. It's the same with AC.

Comment

Air Canada no longer operates YYZ-HNL as there Yield was so bad. The flight has a lot of FF pax and cons. It is more profitable to move New Zealand and Australia pax through LAX or YVR-HNL.

The LIM flight is indeed full of cargo. The pax load from Canada has been light (60%), however the load from LIM has been oversold. A good portion of the pax on this flight are from Europe who are transiting and do not/cannot travel via the U.S.A.

Comment

Working...
          X